Marvel vs. Capcom 3?

dat722

Limp Gawd
Marvel vs. Capcom 1 and 2 were beast.....but when will 3 come out!!!! Rumors says that Dante from Devil may cry series would be a playable character if it was ever to be made....any ideas anyone?

I heard there was a fallout between Marvel and Capcom. I've heard no plans of a MvC3 in the works.

I picked my used copy of MvC2 by chance at a Gamestop for cheap. It was only later that I saw the price gouging on ebay.

I got my legit copy of MvC2 for DreamCast, as much as I would love to see a MvC3... I doubt its going to happen, at least any time soon.

I'll also go with "never."
Fighting games are among my favorites, but the genre is on the ropes if not near death.
Arcades in the US are dead (there are a whopping 3 Tekken 6 machines in the US) and the online play isn't bringing in the money like $0.50 per play/cost of a cabinet used to.
That fact that we're getting a Street Fighter 4 is absolutely amazing based on current circumstances, but I can't see them being able to do that with anything but a giant franchise.
That and Marvel and Capcom have parted ways.
The odds of us seeing one are VERY slim...but never say never!

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 is my favorite of the Capcom/Marvel vs. series, but I never heard of an MvC 3 in the pipeline. I got my copy of MvC2 for $25 off eBay (for PS2).

I would really like a new Capcom vs. SNK game. CvS 2001: MotM is the best cross over fighting game I have played.

If I play any fighting games these days, it's probably Last Blade, GG XX, maybe MvC2. I have Melty Blood somewhere as well.

So sad to see one of my favorite genres go down the tubes in recent years.

Not anytime soon as long as ea has exclusive rights to produce marvel licensed games.

I got my legit copy of MvC2 for DreamCast, as much as I would love to see a MvC3... I doubt its going to happen, at least any time soon.

got mine for DC too...also got the original MvC for the DC :) dreamcast owned!

I'll also go with "never."
Fighting games are among my favorites, but the genre is on the ropes if not near death.
Arcades in the US are dead (there are a whopping 3 Tekken 6 machines in the US) and the online play isn't bringing in the money like $0.50 per play/cost of a cabinet used to.
That fact that we're getting a Street Fighter 4 is absolutely amazing based on current circumstances, but I can't see them being able to do that with anything but a giant franchise.
That and Marvel and Capcom have parted ways.
The odds of us seeing one are VERY slim...but never say never!

While Marvel and Capcom may have parted ways, I certainly hope you aren't equating the death of arcades in the US to the downfall of the fighting genre as a whole. Series like SoulCalibur, Virtua Fighter, Street Fighter, Tekken, and Dead or Alive are all still going strong, with most of the above having already announced their next title. The genre may not have the mass acceptance that First-Person Shooters have enjoyed of late, but calling fighters near death seems, to me, to be a serious overstatement.

let's just say precision twitch timing fighting games of the past are next to impossible to have on today's systems. Between the input lag of TV's to everything being wireless (which adds it's own processing delay), it's never going to be the same. It's not like guitar hero or DDR where you can adjust for the lag. A fighting game is based on reaction on the moment that is nearly unpredictable. Try playing SFIII on a HDTV and see if you can parry moves. Hard to do, next to impossible sometimes.

We will never see MvC 3.

Marvel and Capcom had a great run, but at the end of that, either Marvel or Capcom decided to not renew the contract and went it's own seperate ways. The reason why MvC 2 was so limited for PS2 and Xbox was that Capcom got special permission to port it over, however even though they wanted to put in online the current holders of the Marvel license told them they couldn't, as it would compete against their Marvel games, so they could only do a port.

Guess Capcom just made a quick port for all the people who didn't have Dreamcast's.

But at this point, I don't think Capcom has any interest in the Marvel license, and it seems to be tied up in multiple hands, as I think Sega has the rights to Incredible Hulk and Iron Man, Activision has rights to other people, blah, it's a big huge mess now that Marvel is a hot property with all the movie tie in's.

While Marvel and Capcom may have parted ways, I certainly hope you aren't equating the death of arcades in the US to the downfall of the fighting genre as a whole. Series like SoulCalibur, Virtua Fighter, Street Fighter, Tekken, and Dead or Alive are all still going strong, with most of the above having already announced their next title. The genre may not have the mass acceptance that First-Person Shooters have enjoyed of late, but calling fighters near death seems, to me, to be a serious overstatement.

Depends on what you consider an overstatement. Tekken Online only has about 10,000 accounts. All of the recent Tekken games have sold less and less since #3. Tekken 5 and DR have only sold about 1/3 of what #3 did.
Virtua Fighter's numbers have been dismal, too. It's never been big in the US, but #5 tanked here on both systems.
Soul Calibur's last two games have been following Tekken's lead and going downhill.
Dead or Alive DID sell pretty well, but much of that had to do with it being a launch title. If you look at how "active" the online community is and how many are in the used bin, you'll see the after effects of it.

The genre isn't totally dead, but it's always been about competition. Recent versions haven't had arcade releases and online play is a bastardized version that many fans haven't accepted. They're going to keep making fighting games as they're cheap to create sequels for (each one is 70% the same as the last) and they're still selling enough copies to be quite profitable. The catch is, compared to where they were even 5-6 years ago - they're only moving half the copies they used to or in many cases quite a bit less.
Still, there's hope. We have SF:HD Remix coming, Street Fighter 4, Tekken 6, and Soul Calibur 4. With that said, you'd be crazy to think any of those will sell even 1/3 of the copies they would've in the 90's. It's not dead, but it's certainly not thriving.

let's just say precision twitch timing fighting games of the past are next to impossible to have on today's systems. Between the input lag of TV's to everything being wireless (which adds it's own processing delay), it's never going to be the same. It's not like guitar hero or DDR where you can adjust for the lag. A fighting game is based on reaction on the moment that is nearly unpredictable. Try playing SFIII on a HDTV and see if you can parry moves. Hard to do, next to impossible sometimes.

I honestly think some of this has to be an issue with some TV's. I'm on a DLP and I'm honestly not great at parrying, but I can parry identically to the arcade or Dreamcast. Especially with the PS3's upscaling making the game 1080p anyway. I can nail items like Ryu's super fireball every time. Hell, even just-frame moves in Tekken aren't any tougher. I've never really seen any input lag on my TV at all. Even in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, when it set it to DLP it actually creates lag. I set it manually and it comes back at the same setting for a CRT.
No clue what TV's are better than others for input lag, but if anyone has issues, my Samsung DLP has pretty much none.

However I do still have issues with the PS3 pad having a life of its own occasionally. I'll be walking forward or hitting a button and randomly the PS3 will just keep doing said activity for 4-5 seconds. It doesn't happen often, but it's cost me at least 5-6 Tekken matches (out of about 500).

I've read from AVS that while old DLPs had input lag, the newer models aren't as affected. I know someone reviewed a 4X" Samsung, and it ended up having 60ms+. Which is pretty ridiculous, considering this time and age. I'm only considering 16ms or less now, so I'm hoping the Sharp's can accomplish this.

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/...evisions&subtype=dlptv&model_cd=HLT6176SX/XAA

This is the one I bought last July. I have everything set to "gaming mode" and I've had no issues with anything having input lag, and that includes my PC's hook-up too.

Granted I'm not quite the player I was 7-8 years ago, but I was in the top 300 (out of 100,000) Street Fighter 2 Turbo players on XBL. I'm typically in the top 1000 Tekken: DR players, although my rank has plummeted since I befriended one of the top 100 players :p
I'm not just some guy claiming that the TV doesn't lag. I'm playing at a moderately high level and I've had no issues at all. If I had issues, I honestly would've returned it.
The only issue I've ever had is that there's a little geometry quirk in the lower righthand-corner. It has a tiny "bend" down there that you can see slightly if there's a straight line that goes across the bottom. If someone didn't tell you I doubt you'd notice, but of course I see it.

I never said parrying was impossible on HDTV. Try parrying Chun Li's or Dudley's super consistently. Heck try doing a red parry on a regular basis. Odds are a good old CRT TV will change your mind about that. Don't get me started on the PS3's 1080p upscaling, that adds MORE lag into the equation. No HDTV exists that will allow the level of play that existed prior to the HDTV era. The samsung gaming mode even states it doesn't eliminate lag, it simply reduces it. You're still off a frame or 2 sometimes. Not the old 5-6 frames that older DLP's are famous for.

Fighting games won't return to that era again. Games like soul calibur and tekken will be more or less the style where you have as much as 15 frames to react (which is an eternity in SF3/MvsC2 time). Heck if you played DMC4, you already get a warning from the start to expect a delay in play. It's fine because the programmers accounted for it by giving you a wider berth to do moves.

Fighters are making a comeback.

The Taito Type X 2 Arcade board (What Street Fighter IV is running on.), already has 6 games lined up for release on the platform. This list includes a few incredible 'firsts' for fighting games in general.

Samarai Shodown Sen (First 3D (versus fighting) Samarai Shodown game)
The King of Fighters XII (First game ever to have EVERYTHING COMPLETELY HAND DRAWN. Sprites, Backgrounds, Shadows, one hundred percent hand drawn. EVERYTHING. Complete graphical overhaul)
Street Fighter IV (First 3D SF title developed by Capcom (not ARIKA))

Quite frankly, as much as I about pissed myself when hearing about SF4, KOFXII is going to blow it away. KOFXII is going to be the sickest looking game ever. A fighting, animated show.

But I am still excited for SF4. This is the happiest year for fighters in a VERY long time. I was VERY surprised to find a new Samarai Shodown game. That is freakin awesome.

Making a comeback?

I guess you can say that if you only have access to what comes out in the US, since it seems we're getting a ton of "new" fighters... but the Japanese scene has had a steady stream of 2D fighters for a little while now, really hasn't been a shortage in my book, both new stuff and collections. Actually, I'm surprised at the amount of stuff we're getting in the US these days, but that's only to be expected because Sony doesn't care what you release on the PS2 anymore.

If you're into fighters, definiately should find a way to mod your PS2 to have access to everything across the sea, you don't even have to open up your PS2 anymore to do it.

We're still going to need a competent joystick for the 360... I have a hori ex2 and its decent, but i still have problems pulling off consecutive dragon punches. I'm already on the verge of making a custom stick.

Also, anyone try an XFPS with any of the ps2 sticks?

the producer for sf4 has considered making another mvc3

the only problem is the marvel liscense isn't with capcom.

I'm all for fighting games coming back (trust me, I'll be in the top 100 again in SF2Turbo Remix) but sales are still down, even in Japan. Hell, the latest releases aren't even doing as well in Korean arcades. That's the place where serious fans spend 30 hours per week. I think we're seeing a minor uplift in popularity which is great for us fans, but it still doesn't look good in the long run.
Either way, I'll enjoy giving all of you a spinning piledriver for your troubles later this year :)

Back