Marvell 9142 or SandForce 2200 SSD?

Zipp

n00b
Which are you more likely getting? Still a few months before all of these are released...

Drives with Marvell 9174 controller:
Crucial C400
Micron M4
Intel 510
Corsair Performance Series 3

Drives with SandForce 2281 controller:
OCZ Vertex 3
G-Skill Phoenix II
Corsair Force GT
Patriot Wildfire

Last edited:
From what I have been reading, the SandForce 2200 is shaping up to be the better option.

It is a tough choice. I'd cross OCZ off the list though, that is a no-brainer. I wouldn't go with a Corsair P3, either, since the Intel 510 or Crucial M4 would always be a better choice there. I would consider any G.Skill models with a Sandforce 2XXX controller. I've always thought G.Skill is the best choice for Sandforce SSDs, since they actually post the benchmarks on their website, which I think is a stand-up thing to do. It is not on your list, but the Intel 320 series is also worthy of consideration. It will be interesting to see all the reviews and benchmarks over the next several months.

Last edited:
Also if you compare the C300 and the Intel 510, which are based on the same controller, you will see that they perform very different in benchmarks. After all it seems that the controller has not much influence on the performance in comparison to the firmware.

I don't think it is possible to predict the C400's performance without actually measuring it.

Why cross OCZ and the Vertex 3 off the list? From what I've been reading, it will be the SSD to beat in 2011.

Because OCZ is shady. And others will be releasing Sandforce 2xxx based SSDs. Any performance premiums that OCZ gains from an exclusive partnership, I think, will quickly be mitigated.

Corsair will be releasing a Sandforce 2xxx based SSD, the Corsair Force GT.
It's red though. *shrug*

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/04/behold-corsairs-force-gt-ssd-flaming-red-shell-and-500-mb-s/

But I wouldn't cross the Intel 510 series off your list. IMO, in real world desktop use you will be hard-pressed to find any difference between a (very fast) Intel 510 SSD and a SF-2000 SSD.
Your apps, games, and file transfers will be..very...very...fast with either choice. :)

Plus, Intel SSD is, well, Intel. Intel = Good.

I have never dealt with G.Skill RMA.

I have dealt with Corsair RMAs and they have been very smooth and fast. And so are their products.

Which are you more likely getting? Still a few months before all of these are released...

Drives with Marvell 9174 controller:
Crucial C400
Micron M4
Intel 510
Corsair Performance Series 3

Drives with SandForce 2281 controller:
OCZ Vertex 3
G-Skill Phoenix II
Corsair Force GT
Patriot Wildfire

Original Post with corrected controllers.

Also if you compare the C300 and the Intel 510, which are based on the same controller, you will see that they perform very different in benchmarks. After all it seems that the controller has not much influence on the performance in comparison to the firmware.

I don't think it is possible to predict the C400's performance without actually measuring it.

Negative.. They are not based on the same controller. The model number is the same, but there is a big difference in the revision. The Intel 510 is based on the same controller as the c400 where the c300 is the older revision.

Original Post with corrected controllers.

Thanks, updated the OP.

My top choices, in order, are Corsair Force GT, Crucial C400, and Intel 510. The SandForce 2xxx seems very fast, but I'm willing to give up some speed for the Marvell controller if its speeds don't drop over time, etc.

Last edited:
Thanks, updated the OP.

My top choices, in order, are Corsair Force GT, Crucial C400, and Intel 510. The SandForce 2xxx seems very fast, but I'm willing to give up some speed for the Marvell controller if its speeds don't drop over time, etc.

Then why did you pick a sand force drive 1st
Posted via Mobile Device

Then why did you pick a sand force drive 1st
Posted via Mobile Device

They're both tied as my #1 pick. I thought maybe the slow downs were resolved with the SandForce 2xxx controller, have we heard anything about this? I'll be happy with the C400 as long as real-world performance is up to par (I'm sure it will be).

pretty impressive, But I will wait for benchmarks from other sources to pass judgement for sure. Not saying thessdreview isn't trustworthy, but I am not taking anyone word for shit when they say the "consumer favorite capacity" is 256gb when talking about SSD's.. Consumers cant typically afford even 1st gen ssd's that big.

I agree that the 256GB is too expensive for most users, I know it is more then I care to spend. And I want to see actual tests on a production model of the OCZ Vertex 3, not some pre-production model that may not be using the actual chips and firmware that will be in the final shipping product.

Last edited:
heh I couldn't care what the Vertex 3 does.. I wont be giving OCZ any more of my money. I will wait for g.skill or someone else to care about the SF 2k series controllers

The M4 firmware difference is almost too good to believe given the same controller. Intel has been dropping the ball in the ssd department as of late.

Back