Massive Windows 10 Update Has Three Nasty Surprises

Saw this on Forbes:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/14/microsoft-windows-10-threshold-2-problems/2/

1:
“We’ve observed that some devices that have an SD bus with an SD card inserted while installing the Windows 10 November update will stop responding at 44%, and we are currently investigating the issue.”

2:
Threshold 2 is deleting a number of installed programs as it upgrades. Posters have a long list, including CPU-Z, speccy, 8gadgetpack, a Cisco VPN client, SATA drivers, SpyBot, RSAT, F5 VPN, HWMonitor and more.

3:
“If it’s been less than 31 days since you upgraded to Windows 10, you won’t get the November update right away; this will allow you to go back to your previous version of Windows if you choose. After the 31 days have passed, your PC will automatically download the November update.”

On #3, if you know you don't want to roll back to your previous Windows version (or you've already performed an image based backup with a third party tool), you can apparently go into Disk Cleanup and delete the previous windows installation, and that should enable the update to download.

I experienced #2. After the upgrade completed, several programs had been uninstalled. Not sure how I feel about it lol. I guess it's for the best if the programs in question were going to cause an error during the update or make my system unstable.

I can KINDA see Spybot. It allows you to make some system changes that could, potentially, be damaging/disruptive to Win10.

Especially with all the telemetry...

On #3, if you know you don't want to roll back to your previous Windows version (or you've already performed an image based backup with a third party tool), you can apparently go into Disk Cleanup and delete the previous windows installation, and that should enable the update to download.

Worked. Thanks.

LOL at the headline

Like (Upgrade to) Windows 10 (version 1511, 10586) is a massively multiplayer online (MMO) game that Microsoft is playing and we're a raid boss.

I can KINDA see Spybot. It allows you to make some system changes that could, potentially, be damaging/disruptive to Win10.

Especially with all the telemetry...

The Reddit poster who complained that Spybot was removed commented that it was only removed from one of the four systems he had "with the excuse that version i had wouldn't work with TH2". How is the installer determining that the same version of an application needs to be removed only on certain PCs but not on others?

You may recall that a lot of original Windows 10 installs were plagued with mysterious problems for which the only solution seemed to be a clean install. Perhaps these deletions are an attempt to solve those problems that is either actually cleaning up those problems even though the solution is inconvenient or has gone completely haywire.

In any case, it's yet another reason for me to keep the idea of upgrading from Windows 7 on the back burner.

Every time I think about playing with w10 another f up rolls out from Microsoft. Oh well

I've seen issues #1 and #2. Had to remove the SD card from my Surface 3 to get the upgrade to work and CPU-Z does get uninstalled. However there is something funky about CPU-Z on some of my devices. It takes forever to start up on my Surface Book though it runs fine on other devices.

I'm so happy that I'm still on 7 with updates disabled. I do get my critical updates from Autopatcher, which makes me wonder how long that site will be in operation.
In any case, it may be another year or more before all the issues are ironed out with 10.

I've seen issues #1 and #2. Had to remove the SD card from my Surface 3 to get the upgrade to work and CPU-Z does get uninstalled. However there is something funky about CPU-Z on some of my devices. It takes forever to start up on my Surface Book though it runs fine on other devices.

Last time I used cpu-z I got a freeze/bsod.
I have not used it since especially since I can get my info by other means.

How is CPU-Z being removed? I'm guessing that applies if it was done via traditional install? The portable / zip version of CPU-Z is just a few files in a folder, so there shouldn't be anything to "uninstall". FWIW, i'm not having any issues using CPU-Z with my overclocked 5820k, even after the Win10 update.

How is CPU-Z being removed? I'm guessing that applies if it was done via traditional install? The portable / zip version of CPU-Z is just a few files in a folder, so there shouldn't be anything to "uninstall". FWIW, i'm not having any issues using CPU-Z with my overclocked 5820k, even after the Win10 update.
Maybe from the EULA:
We may automatically check your version of the software and download software updates or configuration changes, including those that prevent you from accessing the Services, playing counterfeit games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices.

So all that bullshit with the text across the screen during the update.....

"Don't worry, all of your files and applications will still be there"

"let us show you the new great features....."

I thought that was fucking weird no?

Maybe from the EULA:

I was asking how they were removing CPU-Z, not whether the EULA allows them to do so. CPU-Z is still there on all the computers I've performed the update on.

Biggest annoyance so far is having all the preferences reset. It feels pretty underhanded to turn on settings that were previously turned off, especially since most people will probably assume they are still off... I'm also not very happy that most of my default programs got reset to Microsoft defaults.

It also installs Candy Crush Soda for some fucking reason. Thank you, Microsoft, for always thinking of us desktop users. :rolleyes:

... and people just keep right on using Windows 10 so I just keep right on laughing. ;)

... and people just keep right on using Windows 10 so I just keep right on laughing. ;)

The privacy concerns might be problematic to some average users. Candy Crush getting installed by default? Something few will care about.

The privacy concerns might be problematic to some average users. Candy Crush getting installed by default? Something few will care about.

The issue that you refuse to accept heatlesssun is that Windows has now gone beyond being a desktop operating system. And while you can argue until you're blue in the face that it must be acceptable because mobile devices track our every move, the very basic fact remains that it is perfectly unacceptable for a desktop operating system to be any more than a desktop operating system - From an enterprise, business and even a personal perspective.

If I want to configure my PC to run counterfeit software that isn't Microsoft software, for example, what has that got to do with Microsoft? It's my PC! What gives Microsoft the right to simply remove any of my software without my permission?

I think you're a little to besotted by Microsoft my friend.;)

I don't use Apple products as a result of their walled garden approach, and I'm afraid Microsoft are heading down a similar path - And I will not support it.

In short, trying to get Win10 past any sort of regulatory requirements where certain levels of security are MANDATED, is pretty much "Use a different OS".

In short, trying to get Win10 past any sort of regulatory requirements where certain levels of security are MANDATED, is pretty much "Use a different OS".
It would be interesting to hear from people in such environments to get their feedback on what OS they use and if Windows 10 is in fact too leaky for them.

It would be interesting to hear from people in such environments to get their feedback on what OS they use and if Windows 10 is in fact too leaky for them.
I've been looking at Zorin as an alternative. I like one option of Zorin: you have a desktop option of making the desktop look like XP or Win 7. Comes with Wine already installed so you can install Windows apps. I was able to install Office 2003 with no issues.

Here is the Zorin win 7 desktop:
http://zorinos.com/gallery.html

3 isn't true...

I just upgraded my desktop to 10 and installed 1511 via Windows update the very same day.

I think you have a problematic case of being drunk off the kool-aid. :rolleyes:

You know, I eyed enough of your posts about Win8 to add you to the ignore list, and thought lately maybe you'd become somewhat critical enough to not come off as a fanboy so I had removed you off the ignore list. At this point you've earned your spot back on it. Your posts and counter-arguments are so biased and lopsided I don't even want to read your posts anymore.

It's clear that you either work for Microsoft or are an outright shill. They can do no wrong in your eyes and for that I pity you.

Last edited:

All my banking/financial/medical clients are doing the "AW HELL NAW" dance right now.

All my banking/financial/medical clients are doing the "AW HELL NAW" dance right now.

Well, I know banking, financial, and medical entities tend to adopt the latest and greatest the minute it comes out, but..

Oh wait, this isn't Bizarro world!

I mean I want a first-person, "I work in IT at [high-sec entity] and we are not upgrading because.." answer that is full of testing scenario goodness, not "well M$$$ wants my dataz so..." which has no value to me.

I've been looking at Zorin as an alternative. I like one option of Zorin: you have a desktop option of making the desktop look like XP or Win 7. Comes with Wine already installed so you can install Windows apps. I was able to install Office 2003 with no issues.

Here is the Zorin win 7 desktop:
http://zorinos.com/gallery.html

That you have freedom to choose and make your decision based on stuff like "look like XP or Win7" makes me hesitate to think you work in a very secure, highly sensitive environment where they typically don't want you installing and using OS's you found on the internet.

It's clear that you either work for Microsoft or are an outright shill. They can do no wrong in your eyes and for that I pity you.

Different people are just going to see some things differently. You don't have to work for Microsoft or be a shill for this to be the case. So far I like Windows 10 and haven't had any major issues with it. I use a lot of the stuff that is criticized here every day. Like a lot of folks, I play Candy Crush now and then. It is very popular right now.

People in forums like this tend to concentrate on a lot of details that I simply don't believe most folks are concerned about. That's just common sense.

That you have freedom to choose and make your decision based on stuff like "look like XP or Win7" makes me hesitate to think you work in a very secure, highly sensitive environment where they typically don't want you installing and using OS's you found on the internet.

I think some people don't realize just how much Microsoft works with its large enterprise customers on this stuff. We're a big bank with 200k PCs. In that situation you just don't deploy something without extensive vendor support and a deep understanding of it's security implications. And of course we have more control over some of the features that people have privacy and concerns, namely the telemetry.

Well, I know banking, financial, and medical entities tend to adopt the latest and greatest the minute it comes out, but..

I mean I want a first-person, "I work in IT at [high-sec entity] and we are not upgrading because.." answer that is full of testing scenario goodness, not "well M$$$ wants my data so..." which has no value to me.

Well, a LOT of banking ATMs are still running Win XP. :rolleyes:

I haven't been able to. I did mine about two weeks ago.

Super weird... I finally decided to upgrade to 10 and was able to install it the same day. I was waiting to update because I was using Media Center as a DVR, but bought a new TIVO Bolt. Wonder why I had no issues with the update?

I mean I want a first-person, "I work in IT at [high-sec entity] and we are not upgrading because.." answer that is full of testing scenario goodness, not "well M$$$ wants my dataz so..." which has no value to me.

Sorry, but I'm legally required not to talk about that class of client.

Home use only LOL.

I experienced #2. After the upgrade completed, several programs had been uninstalled. Not sure how I feel about it lol. I guess it's for the best if the programs in question were going to cause an error during the update or make my system unstable.

I noticed MS was nice enough to reset my program defaults to all of their programs. I'm guessing that one wasn't as much accidental.

Back