Mavericks Upgrade Removed Psql Client

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
I am a database guy and do a lot of work daily in PostgreSQL. Since upgrading to 10.9 (Mavericks), I notice I no longer have the psql client installed to make connections to any database server in the world:

Code:
[carlos:~]$ which psql
[carlos:~]$ :(

I went to PostgreSQL's website and found:

PostgreSQL is the default database on Mac OS X Server as of version 10.7. The standard version of Mac OS X includes only the PostgreSQL commandline client utilities.

Mac OS X Server 10.7 ships with PostgreSQL 9.0. Minor updates are provided by Apple, but not necessarily right after a new PostgreSQL minor release.

Obviously this is NOT the case from 10.8.4 ---> 10.9.0 OS X. Can anyone please help me understand what happened or even more importantly, how I can re-install psql client on 10.9?

Do you have OS X Server installed? Try installing it first, it's free with a basic Apple Developer Account (which is also free). In 10.8 it was only used for OS X server functions but came installed with the base OS anyway. Apple may have moved it to being packaged only with the Server app, but I can't check right now since I don't have access to a Mac with Mavericks on it.

If you don't want to do that, the recommendation I gave in your last thread about PSQL on OS X (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1778411) still stands, install PSQL through Fink, MacPorts or Homebrew and you'll get the client.

Nope - I do not have it installed nor do I want / need OS X Server on my MacBook. I simply need / want just the 'psql' client utility which is the default for OS X since 10.6. I had it on 10.8.x and now upgraded to 10.9 and don't. When I consult the Apple site, it clearly specifies that I "should" have it installed and it's the default in OS X (which clearly it's not for me).

I don't see the need to install an entire suite / application set to resolve this. That's like installing a pool in my backyard as a bird bath. Sure it fixes my problem but it's far over kill and not the way it should be. I'd like to simply understand how I can re-install 'psql' client or PostgreSQL command line utilities back to 10.9.

Nope - I do not have it installed nor do I want / need OS X Server on my MacBook. I simply need / want just the 'psql' client utility which is the default for OS X since 10.6. I had it on 10.8.x and now upgraded to 10.9 and don't. When I consult the Apple site, it clearly specifies that I "should" have it installed and it's the default in OS X (which clearly it's not for me).

I don't see the need to install an entire suite / application set to resolve this. That's like installing a pool in my backyard as a bird bath. Sure it fixes my problem but it's far over kill and not the way it should be. I'd like to simply understand how I can re-install 'psql' client or PostgreSQL command line utilities back to 10.9.

Sure, go with the second option then. Just install PSQL using any package manager of your choice. If you want the most barebones option, you can compile from source, but that's more trouble than it's probably worth for no real gain.

How do I know if I have MacPorts installed on OS X? Is there a command or way I can see this package manager is already / previously installed.

So it looks like my only option is installing the server package of PostgreSQL 9.3 versus finding a command line psql package minus the server software running locally on my MacBook. If I 'do' install it with 'MacPorts', how do I disable to PostgreSQL daemon from starting up @ boot and or running / utilizing system resources? I just want / need to use psql to connect to remote clusters.

Code:
[carlos:~]$ port search postgresql93
postgresql93 @9.3.1 (databases)
    The most advanced open-source database available anywhere.

postgresql93-doc @9.3.1 (databases)
    Documentation for the postgresql database BETA release.

postgresql93-server @9.3.1 (databases)
    run postgresql93 as server

I know you are against apps, but if you ever come round to it, there is Postgres.app. I prefer just installing via brew, but the app makes it hassle free.

I know you are against apps, but if you ever come round to it, there is Postgres.app. I prefer just installing via brew, but the app makes it hassle free.

I didn't know about that, but it looks sweet. Includes and installs the command-line utilities too, and supports Mavericks. Might be just what OP needs?

Back