Max Payne 3 -- When Rockstar 'pushes the envelope'

So I think the latest patch actually put more save points as well as ability to skip cut scenes. Am I crazy? Did they do that? I started up the game and was right on that machine gun SOB, and got past it. Finally!

So this is on steam for $14.99, is it worth it at that price? Can you skip cut scenes yet?

EDIT: $19.99 total gets you all the DLC as well.

So I think the latest patch actually put more save points as well as ability to skip cut scenes. Am I crazy? Did they do that? I started up the game and was right on that machine gun SOB, and got past it. Finally!

If cutscenes are skippable I'll be all over this. I hired the game out on 360 and enjoyed it but far, far too much cutscene spam.

bump. picked this up on the steam holiday sale for $16. would have paid $60 at release if i knew it was this addicting and great. it's been too long since i've been in the max payne universe, back in 2001 with MP1 :)

Personally, while the cutscenes are occasionally tedious, you really need to absorb them to follow the whole story. My game of the year, and the
airport stage, complete with Health - Tears playing in the background
is easily my favorite stage this gen.

I still have a bad taste in my mouth from this game. It felt like an utter-cash-out on the Max Payne franchise and was a total departure from the series.

I remember playing Max Payne 1 and 2 and literally feeling Max's pain that he was dealing with in both games. Max Payne 2 was an utter Noir masterpiece, and I happily beat it twice just so that Mona would live...

Max Payne 3 (from as far as I could get, went as far as the dumb boat drop off mission) says nothing about Max's past groupies, it's just a Brazilian bikini wax nightmare. Who was in the picture that he threw against the wall? Was it his wife/kid/him? Was it Mona? Wtf?

I just don't care for sequels that don't have a majority of the characters from the episode it followed after. Everyone is dead from the last game? Okay I guess that's it for the series then.

Yes the gameplay is still there, the characters are horrible (brats + south american=vomit), the cut scenes put me on the brink of having a seizure...seriously wtf is with the stupid color shifts and video corruption?

It should have just ended at Max Payne 2. I guess most of it has to do with a change of development, Remedy to Rockstar, but hey...it was an established series/name that should be, and was, easy to cash out on.

Still $60 on steam. K, sure thing:rolleyes: $60 for a digital copy is bullshit in the first place, yet over a half a year later it remains. It seems I will never get to play MP3.

Still $60 on steam. K, sure thing:rolleyes: $60 for a digital copy is bullshit in the first place, yet over a half a year later it remains. It seems I will never get to play MP3.

Say hello to the no-resale-allowed digital-only future.

It was 15$ for a while during the steam sale...
Well I sure as shit missed that. I bought Hard Reset for $15 and the very next day it was $4 or $5 (can't remember exactly) but it figures...

Got it for 9.99 on Amazon with my $5 coupon. I don't know when I'm going to play it. I bought too many games and now all I do is stare at my library and wonder what do I start with.

Max Payne 2 was an utter Noir masterpiece, and I happily beat it twice just so that Mona would live...

Wait... what? That's possible? It's been a long, long time since I've played both games but doesn't she get shot in the head?

just finished the singleplayer story on medium difficulty. Finished in 8.5 hours with 75 deaths :D
what a fantastic game.

old post, but i watched this and laughed my ass off. i like to do dramatic shoot-dodges off the top of stairs and pop some pills in slow motion instead of shooting the enemies.

HAHAHAH, this cracked me up too. specially with the sounds he made everytime he hits smething.

Wasn't there supposed to be a CO-OP DLC for this game? The only info I can find suggests it was supposed to come out back in October. Did this just get pushed under the rug or something?

doesn't it still happen but she just survives?

No, she gets shot in the head in the first Max Payne, but lives into MP2. I forget what the ending is in DOA but she doesn't get shot in the head in MP2. Looks like I'll need to replay myself ;)

Damn I didnt know that either! Guess I need another play thru too.

I never played 1 or 2 on the hardest difficulty cause I just like it for the story and atmosphere. All these years thinking Mona was dead. LOL!

If you can skip the cutscenes now, doesn't that make the game like 45 minutes long? I couldn't even finish the game because it kept taking me out of the action so much.

I'm finally getting into this and while I think the story is good and the action is alright, by the time I'm done with this game I should be a master at putting a god damned barely visible tiny white dot on a skimpy target. I probably wouldn't be so frustrated if there was a more permanent and prominent aiming reticle.

I spend most of my time in bullet time jump mode (whatever) so I can be sure I'm getting that dot on the enemy's head. I don't know how people enjoy this game with a gamepad other than using the hard lock auto aim mode.

Fun game but aiming is a little frustrating. Graphics also look fairly good even though I had to make some sacrifices to get it running a solid 60FPS.

I'm finally getting into this and while I think the story is good and the action is alright, by the time I'm done with this game I should be a master at putting a god damned barely visible tiny white dot on a skimpy target. I probably wouldn't be so frustrated if there was a more permanent and prominent aiming reticle.

I spend most of my time in bullet time jump mode (whatever) so I can be sure I'm getting that dot on the enemy's head. I don't know how people enjoy this game with a gamepad other than using the hard lock auto aim mode.

Fun game but aiming is a little frustrating. Graphics also look fairly good even though I had to make some sacrifices to get it running a solid 60FPS.

Haha, that's classic Max Payne for you. I don't know. It actually makes me feel more precise personally.

Same, I always used to shrink my crosshair in Counter-Strike to get pin point accuracy.

The multiplayer is pretty fun in this game but so frustrating as some people are damn good at this game. (Not me of course!)

Wasn't there supposed to be a CO-OP DLC for this game? The only info I can find suggests it was supposed to come out back in October. Did this just get pushed under the rug or something?

It's out already.

Last edited:
The multiplayer is pretty fun in this game but so frustrating as some people are damn good at this game. (Not me of course!)

I played two rounds. I saw warping of players all over from lag, and getting headshots was easier than playing basketball with a 24' above ground pool as the basket. Other than that, it wasn't anything special...

Grenades were weird too, they seemed to exhibit no physics at all, and blew up half the room with one explosion. At least that's how I remember it.

One of the best third person shooters I have played in a long time. Controls were so tight and responsive with a M/KB.

Graphics were excellent. I had no trouble running the game maxed out at 1080p when I still had a pair of 480's. I recently replayed it when I got a Dell U2711 and 680's and it looked amazing. Textures were ridiculous.

Story was awesome. Not your typical five hour story that doesn't properly build up the plot.

I admit I was skeptical of Max Payne 3 when I first started seeing the previews. It didnt look like it maintained the Film Noir style that Remedy had created with the first two games. I was so happy to be proven wrong by Rockstar.

It was my game of the year for 2012.

Last edited:
I've not beaten this game. I'm stuck on the Airport mission with the cop/security dude. I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to beat this guy. I've got a shotgun and he's got an MGL-140 and on higher ground than me. Plus all of his lackeys won't stay dead.

I've not beaten this game. I'm stuck on the Airport mission with the cop/security dude. I'm not quite sure how I'm supposed to beat this guy. I've got a shotgun and he's got an MGL-140 and on higher ground than me. Plus all of his lackeys won't stay dead.

Kill all the goons he has, the rest will follow. You just have to survive long enough.

I think that's pretty close to the last level. Just keep using shootdodge and using cover effectively and you should get it. The more times you re-try, the more health they give you each time IIRC so eventually you should be in a good position to beat it.

Kill all the goons he has, the rest will follow. You just have to survive long enough.

That's kind of hard to do. They just keep coming and coming and coming.

The entire airport fight was my favorite though. I kept replaying it because it was so epic.

That's kind of hard to do. They just keep coming and coming and coming.

The entire airport fight was my favorite though. I kept replaying it because it was so epic.

It is tough, especially on anything higher than Normal. Just keep plowing, eventually it'll end.

Say hello to the no-resale-allowed digital-only future.

maybe not dude, recently valve flagged tf2 items as marketable / not marketable, people seem to think it means it will be on a steam market where you can buy sell things officially and may even extend to games in the future.

That final airport section is one of the few I actually struggled with. The game's relatively difficult with a controller just because you can't aim as quickly, but with slo-mo and even so-so mouse aiming, the game is pretty easy. However that fight is tricky since there are so many enemies and it's hard to tell if you're supposed to kill them, move forward, or do something else.
I still wish there was a better variety of weapons in the game. Since headshots still instakill almost anyone, there isn't a whole lot of motivation to use anything except the pistols. I would've liked to see the return of melee weapons and maybe them toning down your ability to headshot people with pistols from 100 yards away.

I just finished the game and I really liked it; I might go back through and look for the golden gun pieces. What I like is that it's really not a tedious game so knocking out a group of guys and then searching the area is fairly simple. I did have a problem in the New Jersey bar where I tried to get a golden gun piece and Passos got killed; kinda WTF moment so I was paranoid for the rest of the game when Max would say that he needed to keep moving.

I basically followed the advice given here for the last area of the airport. I also just stayed in that one position next to the ammo and picked off the guys.

I played two rounds. I saw warping of players all over from lag, and getting headshots was easier than playing basketball with a 24' above ground pool as the basket. Other than that, it wasn't anything special...

Grenades were weird too, they seemed to exhibit no physics at all, and blew up half the room with one explosion. At least that's how I remember it.

Yup. Finally got around to trying out multiplayer the other day, and the lag of certain players makes this game really really frustrating. There was some warping, but the most frustrating thing was there were several occasions where I would shoot a guy and he would drop on my screen like he was dead, only to find that he was still alive and kills me a split second later after I stop shooting!

And I don't know how much perks and leveling a weapon adds on to kill time, but dual pistols seem to trump rifles every single time. I saw people just sprinting around the entire map mowing people down with them.

But, these are just complaints from an mp3 multiplayer noob. I'll form a better opinion with more hours under my belt.

Back