Max Payne Stuttering...very annoying.

so are u running another application on the background, AntiVirus, torrent, et cetera?
It could be a incompatibility issue with your X2 processor, that happens

I've played it before on this rig, but it played fine. Granted, that was 2 years ago...

I've reinstalled Windows 2 times now...and I'm at a loss.

Currently, I have no background apps except Steam opened. I don't have the original disc anymore...so I cannot say that it's just the Steam Version that's giving me trouble.

Did you update your drivers from the last time it worked fine?
There might be an issue with newer drivers, it usually happens with older games.

Thanks for replying...both of you!

I'm still using the drivers that came with the card from 2005. I cannot remember the exact version number...but I haven't upgraded them yet.

I'm on my second install of Windows in the last 2 days...and I've been very careful about what I'm doing.

I got the stuttering down a tad...it only happens every 5 min or so...instead of every 10 seconds. However, it still is doing it.

I'm just puzzled...it's very odd.

I've even reverted back to stock speeds.

If you've got a multi cpu system, or dual/quad-core, try setting the cpu affinity (this can sometimes cure hickups in older games). When the game is running, do ctrl+alt+del to open up the Task Manager, right click the process under processes and click "Set Processor Affinity" and unselect all but 1 cpu.

If you've got a multi cpu system, or dual/quad-core, try setting the cpu affinity (this can sometimes cure hickups in older games). When the game is running, do ctrl+alt+del to open up the Task Manager, right click the process under processes and click "Set Processor Affinity" and unselect all but 1 cpu.
I just bought the games off Steam a few weeks ago I havent have any issues running Max Payne 1 or 2 with a dual core cpu.

I just bought the games off Steam a few weeks ago I havent have any issues running Max Payne 1 or 2 with a dual core cpu.

Most people wont experience any issues, but there are the few that do. I also have a dual core machine and they run fine for me as well.

I had a similar problem of stuttering. It was weird because I had played the game before with flawless performance and the stuttering occured on a re-install while my machine had higher specs.

Check through the graphics options. Apparently there's one particular option that was a little buggy and would chop you down to single-digit fps all by itself. Experiment until you isolate which one it is.

I think it was either shadows or a post-process effect/filter or something. Start with the settings in the bottom right, sorry but my memory is trash.

I'm still using the drivers that came with the card from 2005. I cannot remember the exact version number...but I haven't upgraded them yet.

How the heck can you resintall Windows *twice* and NOT try updating the video drivers? :confused: Its easy to see why PC game devs get frustrated when even users of enthusiast websites try gaming on 2-3 year old drivers.

Not saying the drivers are the problem here, however its like PC Gaming 101 to always update drivers, especially after encountering a problem.

I'm kept my drivers unupdated because of recommendation from some other people made. Originally I had updated to the latest set...but they seemed to think that it might pose some problems seeing as the game is really old...and it might have gotten "errors" on newer versions.

Anyway...I've sort of taken a few days away from it...but I'll resume tonight with some of the suggestions.

Thanks for helping out...it really is baffling.

that is a myth

always use updated drivers...not necesarly betas, but the updated ones

also that dual core fix posted above,

and try that....

if you reinstalled windows twice..its one of those 2 things...it has to be..

Back