Maximus VI Formula: Rog Armor

TheBlueChanell

Supreme [H]ardness
Anyone with this board, can you confirm if you can easily remove the ROG armor?

Thanks

Yeah it can be easily removed but if you're planning to take it off permanently why not just get the Maximus VI Hero?

Have you looked at the MSI MPOWER? looks and performs great and will likely save you some money over the fluff filled ASUS boards

Aren't you one of the overclockers that MSI send boards to on XS? :)
Ha! Called out!

seriously though, I have to agree with his point. Asus boards are loaded with so much fluff its painful to buy one. I don't want to pay extra for the stupid ROG armor and wireless internet, but the upgrades to the integrated audio over the hero would be nice.

Fluff aside, I was going to buy a Formula VI and plan to watercool my rig but this whole C2 this is more of a headache. Raja can you shed light on the distribution of the new chips?

The Sabertooth doesn't have many extras really - apart from the thermal armour. Fan control on that board is the primary selling point, plus the 5 year warranty. One of our most popular SKUs in the USA, so we must be doing something right :)

The Sabertooth doesn't have many extras really - apart from the thermal armour.

And the price. The "thermal armor" is more of an insulator than anything. And those dinky fans on Sabertooths will break after a year. The Formula VI doesn't even have fans for the thermal insulator.

Fan control on that board is the primary selling point, plus the 5 year warranty. One of our most popular SKUs in the USA, so we must be doing something right :)

Yup, it's an aesthetically pleasing board and bling lovers eat it that up. But function trumps form any day. As for the warranty, there are plenty of ASUS CS and warranty horror stories on here.

BTW, you're here for ASUS PR aren't you? TGE does not work for MSI. So why the rage over the fact that he gets boards to test from MSI? Are you implying he is an MSI fanboy?

The Sabertooth doesn't have many extras really - apart from the thermal armour. Fan control on that board is the primary selling point, plus the 5 year warranty. One of our most popular SKUs in the USA, so we must be doing something right :)

I thought you'd extend warranty to 5 years for most ROG boards. Like RIVE, RIVE BE, MAXIMUS VI EXTREME, MAXIMUS VI FORMULA, MAXIMUS VI GENE, MAXIMUS VI IMPACT, MAXIMUS VI HERO, CROSSHAIR V FORMULA.

Yeah it can be easily removed but if you're planning to take it off permanently why not just get the Maximus VI Hero?

I'm not the chapter and verse for all the differences here.......but I've had three other Formula boards(Rampage brand) and have been looking close at the Maximus VI model.

The hero has less PCI-e x16/8 slots and I don't believe it has the integrated wowie-zowie sound that the Formula has.;)

I'm right in there with taking the "armor" off the board if I buy it.....I can't see any advantage, but I do like the stuff that the Formula board offers, and I can't justify an "Extreme" board.

And.......your point is.......so the guy reviews hardware......:eek::eek::eek:

Woah, got a response from the great Magoo! :)

My point is that sponsored guys seldom speak up against the vendor that sponsor them, and there are even cases of some being under order to speak about other vendors in a negative light, so maybe my view is a bit more defensive than yours. However I know you are a guy that likes speaking up/out so I'm sure you'll understand that I am entitled to air my views too Magoo :)

Last edited:
And those dinky fans on Sabertooths will break after a year. The Formula VI doesn't even have fans for the thermal insulator.

Have not had issues with fans reported to me. Even if there were there is 5 year warranty. :)

Yup, it's an aesthetically pleasing board and bling lovers eat it that up. But function trumps form any day. As for the warranty, there are plenty of ASUS CS and warranty horror stories on here.

That's your personal preference - as you said some of the bling guys like it. If one does not, it can be removed.

CS is improving, I have fewer online cases since the CLM team took the helm for RMA. Granted there is still room for improvment.

BTW, you're here for ASUS PR aren't you? TGE does not work for MSI. So why the rage over the fact that he gets boards to test from MSI? Are you implying he is an MSI fanboy?

Sponsored guys seldom speak out about the vendor they are sponsored by and there is more that goes on behind the scenes with what some of these sponsored guys are asked to do. I have a friend in the UK that was told by one vendor that they have guys on forums that stir up trouble where possible, so you'll have to forgive me for pointing out that people should be upfront about who they are sponsored by. These guys are not technically "reviewers", they are given samples to make things look good to other forum goers. At least my forum name tells you who I work for - or at least eludes to it. I was not "raging" - let's not exaggerate things seeing as exaggeration is an evil that we are trying to avoid. :)

Last edited:
Woah, got a response from the great Magoo! :)

My point is that sponsored guys seldom speak up against the vendor that sponsor them, and there are even cases of some being under order to speak about other vendors in a negative light, so maybe my view is a bit more defensive about yours. However I know you are a guy that likes speaking up/out so I'm sure you'll understand that I am entitled to air my views too Magoo :)

I am only a force for good and not evil.

I pick on everybody equally if given the chance.:D

I own a basement full of ASUS stuff, and as I said, I am keenly eyeing the new Maximus VI Formula for a build to feature the yet to be released AMD R9 290X GPU.......:eek:
I agree there are "plants" everywhere on forums that shine one product and bad-mouth others.....hell I'd think about it if I got enough high-end stuff to feed my appetite.....just sayin'.....but I think we are all smart enough to figure out who is a plant for viral marketing and who is legit.
I think you are pretty straight forward, and as you said, you have a handle that lets people know who you are.....but you have to protect that image as well.

But I gotta say.....elbowing that Goat guy about his loyalties makes the great ASUS look paranoid, I must say.;)

The feature set of the Maximus VI Hero isn't quite the same as the Maximus VI Formula for one thing.

But I gotta say.....elbowing that Goat guy about his loyalties makes the great ASUS look paranoid, I must say.;)

One could say the same thing about you telling me how much ASUS gear you have my friend :) And I too am only a force of good. ;)

One could say the same thing about you telling me how much ASUS gear you have my friend :) And I too am only a force of good. ;)

All I am pointing out is I am not picking on you from an uninformed position.

that and I'm not a fan of any one brand,make or model.

If something works I'll stand behind it firmly, if it stinks, I'll let people know.

All I am pointing out is I am not picking on you from an uninformed position.

that and I'm not a fan of any one brand,make or model.

If something works I'll stand behind it firmly, if it stinks, I'll let people know.

Of course, I understand that fully. I have respect for the zest/zeal, as long as it is accurate :)

A question....slightly off topic.....maybe.....

Is Maximus now the Rampage of the past? Or will Haswell have a Rampage series?

Question #2.....Does the board come with watercooling barbs or do I buy them myself?

Question #2.....Does the board come with watercooling barbs or do I buy them myself?

1) No. Maximus is for desktop chipsets (11** etc) while Rampage is for enthusiast such as 2011 (X79 etc).

2) Footnote *9 in the spec table here: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_FORMULA/#specifications says "*9: Supports G1/4" threaded fittings. Fittings require separate purchase."

Got it. Thanks.
I like the Rampage sets I have. Good OC boards and very solid.

If I get Maximus I doubt Id watercool the mosfets anyway but thank you.

The Rampage series is X79 and the Maximus series is currently Z87.

The Rampage series is X79 and the Maximus series is currently Z87.

Got it, but I also have the Rampage Formula (original) which was/is x48 I think, a Rampage III Formula which is X58 and finally the Rampage IV Formula which indeed is X79.

Somehow I failed to make the connection to the X series chipsets.:eek:

I thought that since the Maximus was so feature laded and in functionality mirrored the Rampage, maybe the rampage had been retired.:p

Ended up going with the M6E, thanks for the replies everyone. Got it on sale on Black Friday so the price was slightly more platable. Going into the new gaming rig in my sig, I'll post my impressions when available but I'm still waiting on the second half of my loop to get here so it may be a while.

I am feeling a slight bit of buyers remorse and am thinking I should of gone with the Formula. I really dislike the look of the ROG armor and I'm not certain what the board would look like "naked". I didn't notice this before but KUDOS to Asus for using G1/4" ports on their block. All of the other watercool ready boards use shitty integrated barbs that cant be replaced and/or are to be used with incredibly small tubing.

The only thing I am missing by going with M6E instead of the M6F is the waterblock and the SupremeFX but I use a USB DAC anyways so I'm not sure how much it matters, it still kinda irks me that Asus left it out of the Extreme line. I get that it's geared towards LN2 clockers but for an $100 premium I think it should be included regardless.

Ended up going with the M6E, thanks for the replies everyone. Got it on sale on Black Friday so the price was slightly more platable. Going into the new gaming rig in my sig, I'll post my impressions when available but I'm still waiting on the second half of my loop to get here so it may be a while.

I am feeling a slight bit of buyers remorse and am thinking I should of gone with the Formula. I really dislike the look of the ROG armor and I'm not certain what the board would look like "naked". I didn't notice this before but KUDOS to Asus for using G1/4" ports on their block. All of the other watercool ready boards use shitty integrated barbs that cant be replaced and/or are to be used with incredibly small tubing.

The only thing I am missing by going with M6E instead of the M6F is the waterblock and the SupremeFX but I use a USB DAC anyways so I'm not sure how much it matters, it still kinda irks me that Asus left it out of the Extreme line. I get that it's geared towards LN2 clockers but for an $100 premium I think it should be included regardless.

So many people, so many opinions :)
I very much like the rog armor look and luv my M6F.
Good luck with your M6E!

I really wouldn't call it armor though. As it is a plastic covering for the front. Which from my understanding you can remove it and paint it. As that is what it seems to state and not void the warranty. The back is metal though but since it is so thick, some have issues mounting it. The sound is still Realtek audio with a touch of "ROG SupremeFX Formula" poured over it and of course the "Headphone AMP" . Should make you a good board but the "Armor" should be renamed to "Customizable Covering", since it can be painted and or removed and isn't metal like the Sabertooth.

Not knocking the board but you are paying a premium over the Hero for the water cooling part and the plastic cover and the SupremeFX Headphone AMP.. Most will have their own dedicated sound card to begin with though. Basically the same board but just a few more added features. Let us know how you enjoy it.

Since it has the "Armor" why does it have only a 3 year warranty? Where as the Sabertooth has a 5 year warranty with its armor. Just struck me as odd that is all.

1) The Formula sound solution uses a Cirrus DAC for headphone output so it is not the same as the Hero.

2) The TUF 5 year warranty is not associated with the Armor per se. It's the on-board components (caps and FETs) etc and the extra validation on the TUF boards that "enables" the 5 year warranty.

I said it had a headphone amp when I posted. And it is still uses a Realtek core no matter what overlay you put on top of it. But my mistake for not using the correct term "Cirrus DAC" for it though.

So the Sabertooth has better components then the Rampage, Formula and Maximus boards by this comment then. I would have thought it would have been the other way around since you are paying a higher premium for the other model boards. A 3 year warranty on the top end boards versus the lower priced Sabertooth with a 5 year warranty. Doesn't make good sense to me but I'm not into marketing though.
The sound is still Realtek audio with a touch of "ROG SupremeFX Formula" poured over it and of course the "Headphone AMP". Not knocking the board but you are paying a premium over the Hero for the water cooling part and the plastic cover and the SupremeFX Headphone AMP

1) The Formula sound solution uses a Cirrus DAC for headphone output so it is not the same as the Hero.

2) The TUF 5 year warranty is not associated with the Armor per se. It's the on-board components (caps and FETs) etc and the extra validation on the TUF boards that "enables" the 5 year warranty.

Last edited:
I said it had a headphone amp when I posted. And it is still uses a Realtek core no matter what overlay you put on top of it. But my mistake for not using the correct term "Cirrus DAC" for it though.

So the Sabertooth has better components then the Rampage, Formula and Maximus boards by this comment then. I would have thought it would have been the other way around since you are paying a higher premium for the other model boards. A 3 year warranty on the top end boards versus the lower priced Sabertooth with a 5 year warranty. Doesn't make good sense to me but I'm not into marketing though.

A DAC converts a digital stream to an analogue one - so in this case, the Realtek is virtually redundant on the headphone output. The TPA6120A2 is the output buffer, while the Cirrus performs digital to analog conversion ;)

The TUF boards are priced according to the feature set they have with a mix of warranty extension. They don't have many of the extras the more expensive boards do, so it's give and take. There are many variables in determining which component is ideal for a given task. In the case of the TUF series, the components we use are mil spec. That does not mean that they are the ideal type of FETs to use for extreme overclocking for example (current limits and transient response requirements change).

Balancing component requirements and cost are a fundamental part of R&D and the marketing department for any product. Ultimately it comes down to user preference, target usage scenerio, performing risk assessments and hitting an acceptable price point to make sure one does not end up going into the red; like the vendors that have disappeared from this industry over the years.

Sometimes one has to look deeper than the surface to understand these things properly. :)

Last edited:
I really wouldn't call it armor though. As it is a plastic covering for the front. Which from my understanding you can remove it and paint it. As that is what it seems to state and not void the warranty. The back is metal though but since it is so thick, some have issues mounting it. The sound is still Realtek audio with a touch of "ROG SupremeFX Formula" poured over it and of course the "Headphone AMP" . Should make you a good board but the "Armor" should be renamed to "Customizable Covering", since it can be painted and or removed and isn't metal like the Sabertooth.

Not knocking the board but you are paying a premium over the Hero for the water cooling part and the plastic cover and the SupremeFX Headphone AMP.. Most will have their own dedicated sound card to begin with though. Basically the same board but just a few more added features. Let us know how you enjoy it.

Since it has the "Armor" why does it have only a 3 year warranty? Where as the Sabertooth has a 5 year warranty with its armor. Just struck me as odd that is all.

I bought a M VI Formula.
I found the "armor" to be somewhat of a pain in the ass.
The watercooling.......meh. But the whole kit makes the top of the board have a much larger vertical footprint. I had a hell of a time fitting my top radiator in.
Make sure you have a good amount of space if you want to top mount a radiator.

Secondly, the Realtek sound won't operate on my board over S/PDIF.....I tried everything, and finally gave up and bought a dedicated sound card.

Lastly, when it comes time to put this in your case, you'll need long standoffs. The standard 3 mm standoff won't be enough clearance on the back of the board due to the armor stuff. fortunately I had some 6 mm standoffs left over from a Sliverstone case that fit my Corsair case and worked well.

The board has functionally been sound, except for the Realtek.

I understand it is separate but most here think they are getting a much better sound card. Not a Realtek with Asus's addon software over it. Again I understand what the headphone is and how it works. I just used the "SupremeFx" since that is how you marketed it. But thanks for the information.

Sometimes when you dig too deep the information hurts you in the long run though.

A DAC converts a digital stream to an analogue one - so in this case, the Realtek is virtually redundant on the headphone output. The TPA6120A2 is the output buffer, while the Cirrus performs digital to analog conversion ;)

Sometimes one has to look deeper than the surface to understand these things properly. :)

I had one for about a day and had to send it back. And I've seen the issues you posted with your board issues also. Again I'm not knocking the board just some of the terms it uses to catch the people's eye for the sale. And read the stories of not getting it to mount because of the back plate.

I bought a M VI Formula.
I found the "armor" to be somewhat of a pain in the ass.
The watercooling.......meh. But the whole kit makes the top of the board have a much larger vertical footprint. I had a hell of a time fitting my top radiator in.
Make sure you have a good amount of space if you want to top mount a radiator.

Secondly, the Realtek sound won't operate on my board over S/PDIF.....I tried everything, and finally gave up and bought a dedicated sound card.

Lastly, when it comes time to put this in your case, you'll need long standoffs. The standard 3 mm standoff won't be enough clearance on the back of the board due to the armor stuff. fortunately I had some 6 mm standoffs left over from a Sliverstone case that fit my Corsair case and worked well.

The board has functionally been sound, except for the Realtek.

Sometimes when you dig too deep the information hurts you in the long run though.

That is true, although you cant really help others if you've got limited knowledge of the subject, in which case it's usually better not to post.

You're correct about that. It is like telling people when drivers are going to be released and then it comes back to bite you. Limited knowledge is very bad for everyone it seems.

That is true, although you cant really help others if you've got limited knowledge of the subject, in which case it's usually better not to post.

You're correct about that. It is like telling people when drivers are going to be released and then it comes back to bite you. limited knowledge is very bad for everyone it seems.

Of course, one lives and learns, which is a lot better than staying ignorant. I do try and learn from mistakes - sadly most people seem to get stuck. But, I enjoy my job regardless. It's nice to be able to help people - the success stories outweigh the negatives. :)

Last edited:
If only you could apply that to the Asus driver development team. We would all benefit then. Winning for everyone would be great indeed.

Okay, I'm done messing around now.
#winning

Of course, one lives and learns, which is a lot better than staying ignorant...

Back