May 23 AM2 Launch Day: What Do You Plan On Getting ?

The Doc

[H]ard|Gawd
Well as most of us already know tomorrow is the big Socket AM2 launch, and while I'm mostly an Intel junkie I may grab a AM2 motherboard and processor tomorrow to take the edge off until the P965 boards hit the market on June 5. Well, with that been said what does everyone plan on getting tomorrow ? Let the discussion begin. :p

I think I might just skip AM2 altogether. I don't see much of a point in upgrading since the only new thing is the DDR2 memory isn't it? I can't even keep my proc. If I start losing performance, I'll just overclock what I have.

Think im gonna skip it as well... and stick with my sweet A8N32-SLI and oc'ed 4400+... that is, until conroe comes out. Then I'll have a tough choice to make :)

Well, I skipped socket 939 altogether so I have not had an AMD setup since socket 754 was the mainstream socket. I may invest in a buget AM2 setup and then later grab a P965 motherboard when they launch June 5.

Are there going to be AM2 procs and motherboards readily available for sale tomorrow?

Nuc_E said:
Are there going to be AM2 procs and motherboards readily available for sale tomorrow?

I'm sure there will be as this is a major platform launch.

im not an amd junkie, but i am a fan of my money. im gonna stick it out till conroe and see what kind of savings i make if going intel. haveing 3 systems on 754 and 3 on 940, im in no rush to jump on anything yet anyway. at this point, price/performance in terms of folding are what are gonna make up my mind. g/l

I dont know what I'm going to do. I'm in need of a new computer pretty badly as a advide gamer. I currently have a AMD +1800, 1 gig ram, 9800 pro 128mb. I'm barely geting by on low settings in games now :( I currently have a grand saved up and am not sure wheater I should get AM2 platform or wait for conroe to come out. If I go with AM2 platform Ill end up waiting at least a month for reviews and newer mobos. I want to see if the opteron 165 will overclock just as good on the AM2 platform(if they are making opteron 165 for AM2).

I'll probably get a Sempron 3400+ and a 6100 type Mobo with integrated video, the ULTIMATE budget PC, I tell ya what!

i take it you guys havent seen this or dont think it's true...

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31874

personally, for anyone with a 939 system already, AM2 is a waste, especially the first run, hopefully by the second run they have the bugs worked out, but this should have never left R&D, let alone gone to the sales floor...and by the time they get AM2 going well, Conroe will be making a mudhole out of it and we AMD fans will be waiting for K8L, hoping it will at least be an equal to Conroe, thats my take

I'm Hoping EPoX has a board ready, preferably with SLI. I'll grab one of the cheap Semprons till things smooth over, and upgrade later. Probably to an Athlon64. I'd prefer to stay single core for a while, and i doubt they'll be offering anything like the Opteron 144's on the AM2 platform. :p

BlackTigers91 said:
You already have a 939 PC, so your opinion is different than say....someone with a socket A PC, like mee.

Right, which is why it's my opinion.

I've got an A8N32-SLI and an Opteron 144 I'm pretty happy with. I see no reason to do anything until Conroe arrives, and I see some hard numbers with both platforms. IMO, the real advantage with AM2 isn't DDR2, it's the lower power CPUs.

i'll probably pick up an MSI.. the platinum is a touch expensive, so many a neo-f? :p

I'm skipping it, most probably bailing ship to the Intel camp for their new conroe.

I am however contemplating on getting that 6100 with a sempron 3000 for my slim pc.

Nothign yet. I'm holding out for Vista to make a major build.

Conroe walks on water today, but it's still pre release, and at what real price?

Talk to me in January and I'll retire the current system running 3400+ on 754. As for what, I'll hold back just a litte bit. If the low-mid Conroes are a good bet, that's the plan. Otherwise it's an X2.

I've never upgraded on the same socket, so I really don't care.

greyt_Autumn said:
Nothign yet. I'm holding out for Vista to make a major build..

Probably the best idea then you have a fresh build with everything being new.

greyt_Autumn said:
Conroe walks on water today, but it's still pre release, and at what real price?

The processors are in reviewers hands and it's been proven accross the board. Also the prices have already been officially released at nearly half that of the AMD counterparts.

Quick question. You guys are talking about K8L. Will the processors for k8l work in a socket AM2 motherboard or do you have to get a new mobo as well?

Looks like they wont be available to next Thursday as for the processors. I know ABIT just released there AM2 motherboard, so we should see that hit the shelves soon. Looks dead sexy to.

Spartan611 said:
Quick question. You guys are talking about K8L. Will the processors for k8l work in a socket AM2 motherboard or do you have to get a new mobo as well?

not sure about K8L working in an AM2 socket, but we are talking about AM2, not K8L, K8L is the one to look for, AM2 is a waste of time IMO, at least the first rev CPU's which seem to have the memory controller bug

Spartan611 said:
K8L is simply a new core. Not a new socket. so yes, other than needing a BIOS update it should work.

qdemn7 said:
K8L is simply a new core. Not a new socket. so yes, other than needing a BIOS update it should work.

You say that now, but Intel been using the same socket for 2 years now. Everytime a new core came out except the 6xx series we needed a new chipset!!!! Then again, AMD usually been good with the BIOS updates for new cores, so anything can happen.

i almost always jump on this stuff, and i have been trying really hard to find a good reason to buy this, but am coming up zero. best i can come up with is "ddr2 is cheaper than ddr" which isnt much of a reason. maybe at the die shrink? anyway, on the 23rd, i will be getting;
laid.

inscape01 said:
What the hell does that mean?

his spelling and grammar are a little bad. he meant "going to save up for my conroe AND then look into euthanasia" i guess his upgrade path will end then.

vanilla_guerilla said:
his spelling and grammar are a little bad. he meant "going to save up for my conroe AND then look into euthanasia" i guess his upgrade path will end then.
I came here to laugh, so....

bwhahahahaha! :D

Back