May need to replace a 680i board

{EB}NuTSymPToM{EB}

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi All,

So went in to my office today and discovered my computer was off, and not by my doing. When I hit the power button, the fans spin and disk drives make their obligatory noises, but the computer shuts down before posting.

I have a spare power supply that I can test, but if that's not the issue, I'm afraid my motherboard may be dead. I'm just curious, what type of board should I look into since I doubt my current one is still in production.

I'm really not ready to do a full system rebuild on a new platform since my E6750 still performs admirably, so please don't suggest a Core i7 build or something like that.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Find a Gigabyte EP45-UD3R or EP45-UD3P. Best LGA775 motherboard hands down, cheap also.

i was going to suggest a gigabyte board, either P35 or P45. but sixywatt beat me to it :)

Geeks.com has cheap refurbed XFX 780i for 60 bucks if your interested in a similar chipset. The UD3R and its variations as stated above, are great boards as well. I've built and overclocked the piss out of damn near half a dozen EP45-UD3P boards.

Hey guys, thanks for the advice.

I plopped in my backup PSU and it's humming along nicely. Seems odd though. When I bought my 5850 I took out the Rocketfish (Huntkey) that I'd been using and threw in a ThermalTake Toughpower that had gone unused for at least 2 years still wrapped up in it's box. Now it seems that it's dead and I'm back to my "low end" Best Buy branded mess.

I'm going to try to RMA the TT but I'm 99% sure it's out of warranty. I still have the packaging and receipt from Newegg though so who knows, maybe they have solid customer service.

I'd just spend some money and buy a new Corsair HX-650.....for 109 or a TX-650 for 89.

If the mb does go south, EVGA has some great S775 B Stock for cheeep.

and lastly...............I have a real nice Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 Rev 1.0 I can sell you if you need an excellent board for S775.:D

Warranty for TT power supplies is 3 years, but it used to be 5. RMA service is pretty solid, if a bit slow.

Back