maybe a wifi issue?

Atherton213

[H]ard|Gawd
currently i have a netgear wnr3500 the open source router....i flashed it with tomato since i was used to the setup and layout with my wrt54g....in my bedroom (maybe 20ft through 1 wall from the router) i have my media pc....up till today i had a wireless n-150 pci card in it....windows task manager would show 150mbps... i jut picked up the dualband n600 wireless usb dongle....with this i should get 300mbps no? right now windows tops out at 162mbps

i this right? or is there something i can change in the router?

i did a channel scan with tomato and seem to have an unused low interference channel, i do have it set to mixed mode cause i still have wireless g devices...channel width is 40 upper.... and for security i have mac filtering

You need a pretty good signal to get 300Mbps. MAC filtering is not security as it can be spoofed easily.

Also, if your G devices are actively communicating with the router, it will reduce the speed of any N devices connected to the same radio since some N features have to be disabled in order to support G.

ahh i didnt know about the g thing...hmm time to upgrade everything :)

as for security im not worried about it.... in range are 2 unsecured networks and then 1 or 2 weps with the default router names....so probably how they came out of the box lol

Back