MB suggestion please

I am looking for a new P35 motherboard for a e6600 for under $150.
What is a good choice to go with?

ASUS P5K

or maybe

ABIT IP35

Thanks for any advice.

Eric

ABIT IP35

I have the E but the whole range seems to be very fine boards indeed, I've read a few gripes but no more than you'd expect in normal circumstances. There doesn't seem to be any inherant design flaws and if you look on here you'll find a helluva lot of very satisfied Abit IP35 (all kinds) owners.

How Do you like the E version.

Theres a $40 rebate on it now at newegg.

Considering the $144 for the Abit IP35 the IP35-E for $80 AR seems like a better deal.

Thanks,

Eric

it's the same basic board just without the Intel ICH9R RAID, firewire & with different chipset cooling.
If you don't neeed those buy the -E & put the money saved towards some RAM or a better CPU, gfx card etc.

Anything but 680i... (mine just killed my Crucial memory and now I'm switching to a Gigabyte DS3)

Go with the P35 for sure!

For memory with the e6600 and IP35 should I go with PC 800 or 1067.
I plan on OC'ing.

Thanks,

Eric

For memory with the e6600 and IP35 should I go with PC 800 or 1067.
I plan on OC'ing.

Thanks,

Eric

1066 will give you a bit more headroom but it does depend on your O/C.

800 should be plenty if you should get to the magical 3.6GHz running 9 as your multiplier, then your FSB = 400MHz, your ram is 800 but this is doubled (DDR2) so that is really 400MHz, your RAM and processor running 1:1 is most desireable in an O/C situation.

HOWEVER
if you can only get there using 8 as your multiplier then your FSB would be 450MHz and in that scenario your 800 RAM would be holding you back and the 1066 would have been best (despite that you won't be able to run RAM and processor in 1:1 ratio).

I've only supplied this information so you can choose your poison :D It's not an easy one to make, as there's no way of knowing your O/C before hand.

Thanks Zombiebeat, poison is what it feels like.

I am currently looking at 6400 due to my budget right now.

OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 / 800 MHz / Reaper HPC $55.00 AR

or

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 $64.00 AR

or

OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 $58.99 AR

or

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 $79.99

What do you think? Or feel free to make a suggestion. I would like to keep the price for 2x1GB under $100.

Thanks,

Eric

I agree with batmanwcm any of those are fine, I'm not familiar with how well they all perform in an O/Ced rig (I'm not meaning O/Cing the RAM just the proc') in terms of reliability, so try finding out a bit more about each. The reviews on newegg are a good place to start, if one type are a complete dog then it'll be pretty apparent in there.

I'm biased towards the Crucial XMS2 as I have 2Gb (2X1Gb) Corsair TwinX DDR2 XMS2 PC 5400 ( 333MHz) and I'm pretty happy with them, though do bear in in I'm not O/Cing (yet).

Back