MB won't keep time

Budman

I put the Bad in Bad Grandpa!
My wifes PC which I built about 2-1/2 yrs ago won't keep time. I have the latest Bios & I've changed the battery out 2 different times thinking that maybe the new battery was bad. She will set the time & it might run ok for 2-3 days & then when she turns it on it will give her the error to hit F1 for setup or F2 for defaults. It a ASUS P5B with an Intel dual core chip (can't remember which one right now). Any ideas? is the RTC chip bad.

It seems many Asus boards have a chronic issue with time keeping, I'm guessing it is an issue with poor quality RTC or some related component. I've personally owned two Asus boards with time keeping problems, and heard many others with the similar issues. If you have a multimeter handy you might check the voltage of the battery, I have seen new ones which were actually fairly stale but typically so long as you leave the computer plugged in, even if off, there is a trickle of power that should keep the battery from even being used to retain the time.

I had a dell pc do that, it died a few weeks later. Could be it's time. :confused:

http://www.worldtimeserver.com/atomic-clock/

Nifty free util (no adware etc. not a resouce hog) that will keep your machines time synched and correct. Run as needed or set it up to update daily/whatever. Will at least cure the symptoms/boot issue.

What is interesting is if this has just started happening. If so consider seeing if the warranty is still good, 3 years I think, and go for an RMA. Other than the battery there is nothing else you can easily do to fix it.

Last edited:
Back