MCE.... Meedio

The Saint

Gawd
Alrighty, so my new HTPC is up and running...

Configured Meedio, spent hours and hours last night to change every single icons, setting up plugins and what more....

then this morning I stopped for a visit at Best Buy and looked at a PC running MCE...

....and I was stunned! WOW. I mean, is it really worth it to pay $45 for Meedio and then spend a LOT of time configuring it, when MCE is there ?

any suggestions?

Sure, MCE has the glitz factor, but Meedio has the power. Once you have your media library cataloged with info from imdb, and can search movies by actors, you'll start to see why meedio is better. Then you start to browse the plugins available and really discover just how poerful meedio can be.

Plus, you get the fun of tinkering with it, which is part of the enjoyment for me.

well, the fact the was VERY smooth really impressed me. Plus all the eye candies, such as the reduced TV on the lower left corner.....

I know Meedio is much more powerful! I have already catalogged my music library, and installed the BTV Movietimes importer and what more!

Just enjoyed very much the MCE experience though...

Really? While I think there are some things that are nice about MCE the clunkyness of its My Movies pluggin really killed it for me. The music is ok but the whole reason I started a htpc system was to archive all my dvds onto harddrive and I prefer Meedio with the Gotcha Covered Video Suite pluggin to anything I have seen for MCE.

I've played around with MCE and yes it's very slick and pretty but I would love to go one week without reading "MCE," "Content Protection," and "problem" all in the same sentence. If that means I have to spend a few hours or a weekend (which is more likely) tinkering with the software inorder to get it working then I'd say I like to tinker, hell I've spent a few nights figuring out how to do certain stuff in Xlobby just for the hell of it (cataloged DVD server for one).

I messed around with Meedio and dislike it for 2 reasons:

1. no .rvmb/.rm support
2. inability to display foreign fonts

tgscordv6 said:
1. no .rvmb/.rm support
I'm sure I had it working just fine using real alternative, but maybe I had to set it up with PlayMee and MPC. It was a while ago when I last tried and wasn't too serious, now I just avoid rmvb.

Back