MCE OS question...

Tech_Pro

Limp Gawd
i got a sony vaio that came with Window's Media Center Edition... i didnt think that i would need that OS, so i took it off and then i installed XP pro. but now i want to make my HTPC and on the disks for Window's MCE it says it will only work with a Vaio... is this true? or what? (my HTPC will be differ from my gaming pc that the Vaio is).

Thank you for your help.

Depending on what type of disc it is, it may or may not work with another computer. It won't be legal either way, so it's a moot point.

HOW is it illegal? i bought the pc came with MCE and then i put xp on it. now i need MCE and i want it on a diff PC.

The MCE is likely an OEM version, for the VIO laptop.

So if the laptop goes, the OS should go with it! Is the license key sticker on the laptop?

Tech_Pro said:
HOW is it illegal? i bought the pc came with MCE and then i put xp on it. now i need MCE and i want it on a diff PC.
OEM licenses are married to the PC it came with. Want a transferrable license? Buy retail.

I don't think he's getting rid of the laptop... I think he just wants to use MCE on another computer.
If the MCE disc is OEM and not a restore CD, disc image, or some junk like that, then I don't think there is any reason you couldn't use it on a new HTPC box. You own both licenses for XP Pro and MCE, so it shouldn't make any difference what computer you put them on.

That disk is "married" to that machine. There may or may not be a hack for it, but that would be illegal and not to be discussed here. One option that may be time consuming would be to call microsoft. If the activation code has never been used for the MCE OS, you just may be able to convince them to help you.

Tech_Pro said:
HOW is it illegal?
Because Microsoft said so. As mentioned above...if you wanted a transferable license, buy a retail copy.

Back