Mechanical Keyboard Guide

Well this mouse is like 400dpi or 800dpi (can't remember which). So I have to do a lot of movement. I basically wrap my hand around the mouse. Sometimes I do it enough where I might start rolling over the side of my hand or my pinky finger. Remember, I'm left handed.

I use 800 dpi too. Shouldn't cause any pain. High sensitivity is actually more prone to wrist pains.

For some reason, I have no wrist pain. No wrist pains from using keyboards and not from using mice. I've actually gotten some pretty bad pains from holding a Gamecube controller to hard, but that was holding too hard lol. My wrists and elbows crack, but not from this sort of stuff. Whatever. I just want a change and to hopefully something a little better contoured to my hand.

Yea, deathadder is probably the best left handed mouse in the market. I switch between g400 and deathadder (still haven't decide which one is better)

I use 800 dpi too. Shouldn't cause any pain. High sensitivity is actually more prone to wrist pains.

It may vary from person to person. I find I can't use a really low sensitivity mouse without causing muscle / soft tissue fatigue. Too high a sensitivity and I get a different set of problems due to muscles trying to control the mouse in a small range of movement. So I stick with 1800dpi, where I can game comfortable all day :)

It may vary from person to person. I find I can't use a really low sensitivity mouse without causing muscle / soft tissue fatigue. Too high a sensitivity and I get a different set of problems due to muscles trying to control the mouse in a small range of movement. So I stick with 1800dpi, where I can game comfortable all day :)

Well, fatigue from low sensitivity is better than carpel tunnel from high sensitivity, if you have to choose one.

Thanks for all the info guys. Also, in a way, I'm trying to just get a few feel for a new upcoming build. That's all.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/revie...ical-gaming-keyboard-review-introduction.html

Honestly the CM Storm Trigger looks really good and goes well with my mostly red system (my mouse glows blue) and it comes in Browns and it's a full keyboard. Any idea when it will be in the states?

Oh wow, I saw the Quickfire Pro recently with it's partial backlighting, didn't know they were making a fully backlit board w/macro keys as well... I just bought a Corsair K90 for $83 and I was between it and a Ducky Shine, this would probably fall somewhere in between both of those. I'm not big on the red lighting or the extra decorations they've added around the perimeter but the board looks nice overall.

Hey guys, I've been looking at mechanical keyboards recently and I think I've narrowed it down to 2:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823162014

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201040

I'm just not sure which one I want to get. They both seem like pretty standard mechanical keyboards feature wise, but I'm not sure if I should go with the Cherry MX Blacks of Thermaltake or Cherry MX Blues. This will be my first mechanical keyboard btw, and I usually spend my time on the computer for gaming, but I do programming as well.

Any advice? Thanks

Hey guys, I've been looking at mechanical keyboards recently and I think I've narrowed it down to 2:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823162014

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201040

I'm just not sure which one I want to get. They both seem like pretty standard mechanical keyboards feature wise, but I'm not sure if I should go with the Cherry MX Blacks of Thermaltake or Cherry MX Blues. This will be my first mechanical keyboard btw, and I usually spend my time on the computer for gaming, but I do programming as well.

Any advice? Thanks
Blue and Blacks are vastly different. Blacks are pretty stiff in comparison and offer no tactile feedback. They are smooth all the way until they bottom out. Blues are better for typing, as far as gaming goes it's a little more of a personal preference. Most gaming keyboards come in Reds and Blues if that tells you anything. IMO I enjoy Blues over Black/Red by a sizable margin.

Rosewill sells mechanical keyboards with just about every Cherry MX option, not just blues. But if I personally had to go with a Rosewill, the one you linked would be my first choice. The Thermaltake has a USB and Audio hub, but I would pass on them.

Blue and Blacks are vastly different. Blacks are pretty stiff in comparison and offer no tactile feedback. They are smooth all the way until they bottom out. Blues are better for typing, as far as gaming goes it's a little more of a personal preference. Most gaming keyboards come in Reds and Blues if that tells you anything. IMO I enjoy Blues over Black/Red by a sizable margin.

Rosewill sells mechanical keyboards with just about every Cherry MX option, not just blues. But if I personally had to go with a Rosewill, the one you linked would be my first choice. The Thermaltake has a USB and Audio hub, but I would pass on them.

And the Rosewill ones are definitely good quality too (from what I've been told). Would like a Brown one if it came down to a plain keyboard.

What would your opinion (even though I'm not sure if you've ever used one or seen one on sale) of that CM Storm Trigger I posted earlier?

And the Rosewill ones are definitely good quality too (from what I've been told). Would like a Brown one if it came down to a plain keyboard.

What would your opinion (even though I'm not sure if you've ever used one or seen one on sale) of that CM Storm Trigger I posted earlier?
No idea. It's pretty much so all speculation until the product is released

Coolermaster did a good job on the QuickFire Rapid. The QuickFire was bascially a Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with cheaper caps and possible housing. So hopefully CM doesn't drop the ball and the Trigger ends up being another solid product from the CM camp.

I personally have no use for macro keys, I prefer a cleaner looking keyboard, not looking for board released by a gamer company, dual coat ABS caps (second only to Decks PBT caps), etc. So I went with the Ducky Shine. You on the other hand are looking for a red LED, Cherry MX Brown keyboard. Depending upon how stuck you are on red LEDs, it looks like the CM Trigger has your name on it.

I think the best thing to do would be to hold off until the product is released and let GeekHack and everyone else do their disassembly of the board. Then to take in a breath and try to filter past all their noise.

im looking for a mechanical keyboard for mac. would it be the same just that i need to find keys with mac osx short cuts?

I'm leaning towards Cherry MX Blues since I've heard everywhere that they're better for typing (which I'd like for programming) and that they're not bad for gaming either. Do you recommend any other keyboards in the same price range as the Rosewill with Cherry MX Blues? The Rosewill just seems like a standard keyboard, but I'm fine with that (currently have a G15 right now).

Deck Legend comes in a MAC layout.
http://www.deckkeyboards.com

So does Das
http://www.daskeyboard.com

So does Razer
http://store.razerzone.com/store/razerusa/en_US/pd/productID.211651300/categoryId.35156900

I'm sure there are other keyboards that come with the mac shortcuts and are fully compatible with the mac. But of the windows mechanical keyboards it looksmore or less 50/50.

Ducky for example..

http://www.overclock.net/t/1067887/ducky-shining-info/910#post_15702921
Yes, the DK9008-S, DK9008-G2 Pro, DK1008, DK1087, DK9000, & DK9008 all work on Mac's just fine.

The DK9008-G2 & DK9000-G2 will not work on Mac's unless you use a workaround with Adapters.

I'm leaning towards Cherry MX Blues since I've heard everywhere that they're better for typing (which I'd like for programming) and that they're not bad for gaming either. Do you recommend any other keyboards in the same price range as the Rosewill with Cherry MX Blues? The Rosewill just seems like a standard keyboard, but I'm fine with that (currently have a G15 right now).
Cherry MX Blues Gamer keyboard for sub $100? No.

The CM Storm QuickFire is close. The Trigger will be coming out soon. I think the MSRP on that is $120ish?

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-QuickFire-Mechanical-SGK-4000-GKCL1-US/dp/B0068INSUM

For the hell of it you could consider these two as well, they are in your price range.

http://www.tankguys.com/mechnical-k...yboard-mx-overclock-net-edition-blue-abs.html

http://www.tankguys.com/mechnical-k...verclock-net-edition-tenkeyless-blue-abs.html

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Cherry MX Blues Gamer keyboard for sub $100? No.

The CM Storm QuickFire is close. The Trigger will be coming out soon. I think the MSRP on that is $120ish?

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-QuickFire-Mechanical-SGK-4000-GKCL1-US/dp/B0068INSUM

For the hell of it you could consider these two as well, they are in your price range.

http://www.tankguys.com/mechnical-k...yboard-mx-overclock-net-edition-blue-abs.html

http://www.tankguys.com/mechnical-k...verclock-net-edition-tenkeyless-blue-abs.html

Alright thanks. I think I'll just stick with the Rosewill for now, I just never bought anything from them before so I'm not set on it yet.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
From what I have read the Rosewill is solid. If you didn't care about backlighting or the Rosewill branding on the keyboard, buy it! I've heard that the key caps might wear a bit faster than normal, but that can be said for every other mechanical keyboard. I think it's a conspiracy with the key cap group buy guys...

FYI the paint on backlit keys supposedly last longer. The keys are laser etched, not printed. So you don't have to worry about the characters fading since its the entire key itself that is painted. If that makes any sence.

Alright thanks. I think I'll just stick with the Rosewill for now, I just never bought anything from them before so I'm not set on it yet.

Me neither, but I bought a Rosewill with browns yesterday (as a gift) and a Corsair K90 with reds on Thursday, both should be here by Wednesday so I'll have a chance to compare them. AFAIK the Rosewill is manufactured by the same OEM that does Filcos, seems to have solid reviews everywhere.

Backlit keyboards aren't the only ones with laser etched keys, in fact I think most everyone goes that route... The translucent keys probably just have a lot more paint on them or something, AFAIK they're still ABS like most other cheaper mechanical keyboards (pricier ones may use dye sublimation and/or PBT caps).

Been using the Leopold Otaku Tenkeyless MX RED keyboard for many months now. My favorite thus far and I own a IBM M, Razor BW, and Filco Brown.

uWDko.jpg

I was trying to determine the point of putting any pistol in a computer keyboard photo myself. Doesn't seem it'd be for texture/color/size reference so I think I am missing something.

I was trying to determine the point of putting any pistol in a computer keyboard photo myself.

True, but still, why Glock? Lol. Sadly, I still won't be going right at mechanical keyboards, since I just need something good, USB and cheap enough that I can replace my keyboard.

Because it was there.

You're just getting old Dan, and hanging onto your 1911 lust! ;)

Does anyone make an ergonomic style mechanical that isn't the bowl design? I would really like to have one, but I can never find anything as comfy as my ancient Microsoft non-mech.

Because it was there.

You're just getting old Dan, and hanging onto your 1911 lust! ;)

I like plenty of other guns. Including polymer framed guns. I just have more refined tastes. Glocks are built like bricks and are about as ergonomic as one.

I picked up a Steelseries 6gV2 a few months back and the warnings about the key lettering wearing off is no joke. It was only a matter of days before my WASD keys took a turn for the worse. At this point, the whole thing is starting to look ugly.

When I save up the cash, I think I'm going to go for a Filco Ninja-style board.

I picked up a Steelseries 6gV2 a few months back and the warnings about the key lettering wearing off is no joke. It was only a matter of days before my WASD keys took a turn for the worse. At this point, the whole thing is starting to look ugly.

When I save up the cash, I think I'm going to go for a Filco Ninja-style board.

Or you could save money and just order new key caps.... wasdkeyboards makes good ones.

Or you could save money and just order new key caps.... wasdkeyboards makes good ones.

Very true!

Honestly I just want an excuse to replace a G15 on another computer and I have to rationalize it somehow. Perhaps I should order both the keycaps and a keyboard... :cool:

Do either of these solutions work on the Das Keyboard. I get tired of the shiny key caps. The lettering is still ther so I can't complain too much I guess, but I'd like it to look like it did when it was new.

You'll have to buy PBT caps to help with wear. They are more durable than ABS caps.
Unfortunately most doubleshot caps are made with ABS plastic. DS PBT are very expensive.
If you're a touch typist a set of engraved PBT caps would be nice.

You'll have to buy PBT caps to help with wear. They are more durable than ABS caps.
Unfortunately most doubleshot caps are made with ABS plastic. DS PBT are very expensive.
If you're a touch typist a set of engraved PBT caps would be nice.

I do type by touch primarily. I do look at the keyboard occasionally, but for the most part I don't.

Does anyone make an ergonomic style mechanical that isn't the bowl design? I would really like to have one, but I can never find anything as comfy as my ancient Microsoft non-mech.

Not that ive seen, I gave in and switched away from the MS 4000 not too long ago.

Do either of these solutions work on the Das Keyboard. I get tired of the shiny key caps. The lettering is still ther so I can't complain too much I guess, but I'd like it to look like it did when it was new.

Yes, any of the standard Filco / Cherry MX 104 kits will work fine. You can get a full set of custom printed caps from www.wasdkeyboards.com or find one of the custom runs on geekhack.org. There are a few ways these keys are constructed/printed. You have two common types of plastic ABS and PBT. ABS is cheaper and less durable, that's what most cheaper keyboards (And the Das) come with. It's the most common plastic, pretty much all keyboards come with ABS unless noted otherwise. PBT is a bit more resistant to that shininess that ABS keys have, but they still get it. Double-shot keys are where they mold part of the plastic one color, and then the rest of the plastic a 2nd color. That's what my keys down below are. So even though the keys are ABS and will wear down, because it's molded into the plastic, the lettering will still be visible. Other alternatives include engraving, laser-etching (WASDkeyboards offer those two options), light engraving w/ paint fill (Das printed keys are like that). Pad printing (I forget the process, they look like shit but are supposedly durable if I remember right).

Lots of rambling, but Das is the same style as Filco, WASDKeyboards and many Cherry MX boards.

Here's my Das with the latest "Ragnarok" custom double-shot keys (Red on Black). They have an awesome textured feeling.

Thinking of buying a Leopold when I get to the US, but the ANSI layout and Cherry stabilizers worry me.

I own a few Filcos and a Das, trying to sell them off, actually.

Back