Media Case space problem.

upriverpaddler

[H]ard|Gawd
I just got my first HDTV with my tax return. I could have afforded bigger, but a 37" was the biggest I could fit in my TV cabinet (which I like enough to make the sacrifice). I've got about 3/8ths of an inch gap on either side.

My plan was to use my everyday PC and buy a Media Center case. Has to be ATX. But now my TV cabinet is forcing me into another sacrifice. The hole for the case is only 5 5/8ths inches high. Sigh. I think I was pretty thorough in my search for a case but all I came up with is an nMEDIA 500BA. It has no reviews on newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204023

Does anybody have a recommendation for another case? Will there be a problem installing regular PCI cards in a case this high?

P.S. I've hooked up my PC to it. 6600GTOC DVI out to DVI in on the 37w3 and I am thrilled with the way it looks. And I'm so happy to be able to finally put my Logitech Surfman to good use.

That's a pretty case. But at 5.8" high, I don't think it'll fit. But I'm glad to get the quality review. Thanks.

Oh.... The Cavs have problems. They're not really favored due to the proprietary PSU and the fact that it tends to die on most people.

It's considered pretty much crap.

10 Slap forehead with palm of hand
20 Shout DAMNIT
30 Goto 20

Oh well, I'll adapt. I thought it looked better than the nMedia and it was $50 less. I'll hack that PS if I ever need to.

When was the last time that an online vendor screwed you and it was maybe a good thing. I paid for the Cavalier 4. My status went all the way up to "shipped". Then the next day they call to tell me that they don't have my case in silver. Only black. So I canceled it. I'll go back to the nMedia from newegg.

I also just ordered this case from newegg. I'm hoping to build it into a hardcore gaming/htpc platform with an 8800gts (or an ATI equivalent), X-Fi, 680i mobo and oc'd e4300. I got this case for the exact same reason you did. I wanted full sized/powerful components (since there are not enough choices for MXM or mini-pci hard core graphics and sound devices available to the public), and I wanted it to fit on the sub-6" shelf of my Ikea Lack TV stand in my living room.

I'll be running it on 2GB of ram with Vista Ultimate (I'm currently running Vista Ultimate very comfortably with an e6300 on a Gigabyte DS3 with a Radeon 1950pro at the moment). I'll very likely post pics and a short build log when it's done. Good luck with your build!

When was the last time that an online vendor screwed you and it was maybe a good thing. I paid for the Cavalier 4. My status went all the way up to "shipped". Then the next day they call to tell me that they don't have my case in silver. Only black. So I canceled it. I'll go back to the nMedia from newegg.

Back