Mediacom raises speeds! w00t

beachbum

Limp Gawd
Yes indeed the day has come! Meidacom has raised its speeds from 1.5mb down to 3mb down and 128up to 256!
(ONLY in some states and areas, they are testing it first and I got it in Gulf Breeze FL)

Of course they didn't do this out of kindness they did it to keep up to times and compete with DSL providers etc..
All cable companies are going to be raising speeds in one point in time, so if you haven't gotten a raise then it will come some day…… The reason I know most of this is because I know a lot of people who work for Mediacom and are in constant contact.

So far I have confirmed that Meidacom and Cox are raising speeds (Two nearest cable cos).

Cox (Northern VA) raised speeds from 1500/192 to 3000/192 a couple months ago in my area. Then they started offering a 'premium' package at 4000/384 for double the price. Of course I jumped right on that and live in the bliss that is supa-fast cable (i can pull down full bandwidth day and night). Hooray for cable! Viva la cable! Cable Uber Alles!

I want Roadrunner (Central Florida) to give me some speed increases. Not taht i'm complaining though, i have 6 machines on my network and i get some great speeds. You can always use a lil extra though..

Originally posted by resident_freq
Then they started offering a 'premium' package at 4000/384 for double the price.

:eek: Whoa.. That is one hell of a premium.

Yeah, but its a 4 meg pipe. That's worth a hundred bucks IMO. Over here in the UK they don't know the meaning of "value conscience". Then again I could say the same thing about "customer service".

Damn, england is just getting toasted on ADSL.. I don't suppose you have a cable option either. ~$42 a month for BASIC service.

yeah i have a vote for 'yay mediacom' here
I'm so happy they finally give us decent speed!

I live in Seal Beach, CA.

(comcast)We have uncapped down/ 384 up. Used to be 128 up but we got raised a few months ago.

Originally posted by lorcani
Damn, england is just getting toasted on ADSL.. I don't suppose you have a cable option either. ~$42 a month for BASIC service.

There is only 2 or 3 cable providers in teh entire country. The main one anyone has ever heard of is NTL.

Click here for a list of what they offer. Use the postcode CB3 0HS when prompted.

Here's what I found:
150K 18 pounds/month = $33.84
600K 25 pounds/month = $47
1M 35 pounds/month = $65.80

I got my upgrade a couple days ago and well now the modem does its annual hourly shut off focing me to power cycle it, well this time it didnt work so I spent over an hour on the phone with some tech guy just talking and such and I ended up loging into my linksys cable modem and OMG it was back to 1.5 hmmmm well I immediatly told the guy and he was like im not aware of that I guess they took it down temporaraly to make sure the system can handle it.......well anywho damn modem is F***** up now with really slow speeds and off and on every 5 mins and a tech is scedualed to come over in 2 days again, that will be 2 times in like 2 weeks, last time the guy came I wasn't home but I had someone there and the stupid dumb ass cheaked the internet and left he said that the laptop used wireless which it doesn't! should have looked at the bright blue cable going from the wall jack to the laptop!

So they took back my speed upgrade.

Originally posted by beachbum
I got my upgrade a couple days ago and well now the modem does its annual hourly shut off focing me to power cycle it, well this time it didnt work so I spent over an hour on the phone with some tech guy just talking and such and I ended up loging into my linksys cable modem and OMG it was back to 1.5 hmmmm well I immediatly told the guy and he was like im not aware of that I guess they took it down temporaraly to make sure the system can handle it.......well anywho damn modem is F***** up now with really slow speeds and off and on every 5 mins and a tech is scedualed to come over in 2 days again, that will be 2 times in like 2 weeks, last time the guy came I wasn't home but I had someone there and the stupid dumb ass cheaked the internet and left he said that the laptop used wireless which it doesn't! should have looked at the bright blue cable going from the wall jack to the laptop!

So they took back my speed upgrade.

When we got upgraded my system went to hell. Previously rock solid, after the upgrade it was shite.

The reason I found out (after 4 months of tech calls), is when I had sattelite installed, they didn't remove the 1->3 coax adapter upstairs, which I'm told is a 6dB loss.

If you can, have the cable from outside, run with no adapters, straight to your cable modem. Fixed me right up. No problems anymore.

Hope that helps

Bah, i just put in a new cable and everything works fine now.

On the other hand my modem is still capped at 1.5:mad: :( so i called mediacon and they no nothing about what happened so he emailed his supervisor about the problem and thats pretty much all he could do for now, I just hope they get it back up.
(yes I have powercycled the modem several times)

Originally posted by Zwitterion
I want Roadrunner (Central Florida) to give me some speed increases. Not taht i'm complaining though, i have 6 machines on my network and i get some great speeds. You can always use a lil extra though..

I suppose you'd be getting yours at some time..

RoadRunner (TWC) upgraded the line speed from 1.5Mbps down to 3Mbps about three months ago. Looks like the up rate hasn't been touched though.

When I lived in Jacksonville, I always remembered Florida RR being shabby, but it still wasn't as bad when AT&T took over. That's when I got DSL. I have a friend in Orlando and his was funky (that was three years ago) but I'm sure it's come a long way. Just wait.

My Comcast service boosted the speed form 1.5 to 3 to combat all the other companies. Well, it didn't take long for every other company to do the same.

Central Florida Road runner is now 3mb also, and yes upload speeds are the same. I just noticed this today. It must have happened recently, since i ran a speed test 2 weeks ago and it was still a 2mb line.

well i tell ya what....
Been happy with mediacom since I got it, always 1.5mbit/128kbit....so I hear the new bout this upgrade, was excited....The night the upgrade took place, I had nice d/l /upload speeds.....now, for the last few days, I cant get more than a 56k connection speed, or my connection is so jumpy (IE 500k/s -> 1k/s -> 250k/s...etc) that everything sucks anyways. anyone else having problems like this with mediacoms new upgrade?????:mad:

Well its in "testing" right now so I would highly recomend you calling tech support and report that, tell them your modem is going slower than a 56k modem on crack!

Speakeasy 3.0/768 $100/month

I wonder with all these companys starting to offer 1.5, 3.0, 4.0 ive heard SBC Telecom is offering 6.0/666 how much is true "throughput"
Is there compression thats occuring on the ISP's backbone? It would be cool to hear from someone involved with an ISP to find out for sure.

Bah, we got tons of Bandwidth in Canada.

Calgary (Shaw Cable) 1997 to 2003 using Motorola proprietary signalling 768kbit up/3 mbit down $40CDN/month (approx $30US)
Two dynamic IP's included (up to 8 for $5/month each) or optional static IP.

Just this year 2004+ Moved to Docsis 1.1 (Cisco headends, so easy upgrade to Docsis 2.0) Local loops get 30mbits up/ 30 down, most servers allowed except mail. $40Cdn/month still.

City is based on a huge multimillion dollar fiber ring that was installed during the 1988 olympics. (Which BTW, was massive overkill at the time)

Ping times anywhere in fiber ring are in the <1 ms range (makes it great for playing games I'll tell ya)

More speed is always good. Apparently Comcast just bumped my downstream speeds but didn't bother to tell me when it happened. Upstream is still 256k but downstream really is about twice as fast. Check this out:

Download = 3335 kbits/sec or 417 KBytes/sec
Upload = 238 kbits/sec or 30 KBytes/sec

That's practically begging you to violate their phantom line-use cap :D

Damn...

I'm moving to Calgary.

Looks like a very nice city, as well.

im on mediacom.

i noticed a couple days ago i was downloading some stuff and my speed was way higher than 1.5mbit. i thought "o well, the idiots arent capping my line anymore"

now i checked my speed and it looks to be ~3000/256.:D
I love competition

now my up is as fast as my friend's dsl's down:D:p sucker

ps
there has been some instability tho, i had to power cycle my modem a few times, i hope its not permenent.:(

my adephia connections increased as well, the dl is the same 400mb ul increased to 24-35kb from 12-15. not too shabby imo.

Originally posted by cbass2
im on mediacom.

i noticed a couple days ago i was downloading some stuff and my speed was way higher than 1.5mbit. i thought "o well, the idiots arent capping my line anymore"

now i checked my speed and it looks to be ~3000/256.:D
I love competition

now my up is as fast as my friend's dsl's down:D:p sucker

ps
there has been some instability tho, i had to power cycle my modem a few times, i hope its not permenent.:(
yeah i had the problem for a couple days, but mine works great now!

Oh my lookie my modems been up all day long! omg i cant believe this! Well ive narrowed this down to mediacom, its a problem at their end but i guess its fixed now! w00t:D

Just Ramblings (might be an interesting read to someone)

A lot of people are surprised at how much bandwidth we have up here in the north... There are lots of communication lines, both fiber and copper running north and south.

I asked a professsor once why the communications were so well built north<>south, and not so much east<>west, like LA to NY or Toronto to Vancouver (E<>W usually makes more sense to people, after all thats usually the way the major highways are built)

It all has to do with the cold war, a large majority of internet lines were built by the military early on. At the time the US was worried about Nukes coming in over the arctic from Russia so there were huge monitoring stations built in the arctic, much further north than most of Canada's population. To hook it all up they had to pull down data lines (copper then fiber) into the US.

So really Canada had an extensive internet structure built (like Vancouver to LA and Toronto to NY) by the US military, long before most of the US started a commercial internet. Now that the cold war is over, we are all benefiting greatly from it, thats one thing I greatly thank the US for :)

BTW, DSLreports has a nice chart of speeds up http://www.dslreports.com/archive Optimum online is not "really" the top, as they are often the ones hosting the speedtest ;)

Thought I'd chime in on this since I'm on Mediacom, too. We just got the bump this last weekend, and It's been great, especially the double upstream. Now Remote Desktop from work is a lot snappier, and I transferred a 2 gb file from there to here this afternoon in about an hour and 45 minutes. Much better than it used to be.

Back