Megahalem Fan and case fan recommendation

maverick0817

Limp Gawd
Looking for a fan recommendation for a push/pull setup on a megahalem. I am also looking for case fan recommendations, I have a cooler master rc-690. I think it would hold 3x120mm up top, plenty elsewhere. Would it also be worth it to get a fan controller? Thanks for the help.

I use a Scythe GentleTyphoon 1850rpm on my Cogage True Spirit. It's inaudible in the case. If you want to go push pull you could go with the 1150 or 1450rpm models.

Two 1600rpm Scythe S-Flex are the way to go. For case fans, I'm a big fan of Scythe Slipstreams.

Two 1600rpm Scythe S-Flex are the way to go. For case fans, I'm a big fan of Scythe Slipstreams.

I was trying to decide between these two fans. The Slip Stream 1600rpm's have more cfm (88 cfm), but do they lack the static air pressure to keep up with the S-Flex (at 64cfm) on a CPU cooler? I was thinking about the Thermalright IFX-14 for less restrictive air flow to match these fans, but if the slipstreams aren't going to work, I might as well go with cheaper options.

Last edited:
I'm using Slipstreams as CPU fans myself. I also heard everyone say that they suck for coolers because of the lower static pressure, so I got two 1600rpm S-Flex to compare, and I didn't notice much of a difference, maybe a degree or two at most(which could be caused by outside variables such as room temps). If you're using two fans, I don't think S.A.P. is nearly as important as CFM/Noise.

When I compared the slipstream to the s-flex on my TRUE, they were within 1C-2C of each other at the same RPM. However, the slipstream was louder, or at least the sound signature was more noticeable. As a case fan the slipstream doesn't have that problem, so I'm thinking because of the lack of static pressure there's just more blowback and turbulence.

My 2c.

http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling/609636-megahalems-push-pull-25mm-fan-tests.html

In this test, the Xigmatek XLF-F1253 fans @ 1500 RPMs ran 1-2c warmer (under load, identical at idle) than the Scythe S-Flex 1900 RPM fans. The Xigmateks are rated < 20 dBA, though, while the S-Flex's are rated at 35 dBA. The tester reported there being a huge difference in sound with a very mild difference in temperatures.

If the quiet Xigmateks could go neck-and-neck with the 1900 RPM S-Flex fans, I would assume that they would out-perform (or at least stay on par with) the 1600 RPM ones while still being significantly quieter (1600 RPM S-Flex is rated at 26 dBA.)

Seeing this pretty much sealed the deal for me, and I ordered two of the Xigmatek fans for my Megahalems.

Last edited:
http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling/609636-megahalems-push-pull-25mm-fan-tests.html

In this test, the Xigmatek XLF-F1253 fans @ 1500 RPMs ran 1-2c warmer (under load, identical at idle) than the Scythe S-Flex 1900 RPM fans. The Xigmateks are rated < 20 dBA, though, while the S-Flex's are rated at 35 dBA. The tester reported there being a huge difference in sound with a very mild difference in temperatures.

If the quiet Xigmateks could go neck-and-neck with the 1900 RPM S-Flex fans, I would assume that they would out-perform (or at least stay on par with) the 1600 RPM ones while still being significantly quieter (1600 RPM S-Flex is rated at 26 dBA.)

Seeing this pretty much sealed the deal for me, and I ordered two of the Xigmatek fans for my Megahalems.

Post up your results please.

Also looking for some fans for my PM.

Thanks!

Just to make sure, you do know that you CAN'T trust the manufacture's ratings. Any of them. That Xigmatek might be rated for 20db, but you can bet on it being more in the 30db range. Same thing goes for CFM. They all fudge their numbers for marketing reasons.

Sumbeam Rheobus 6-Channel controller. It's what I use, and I absolutely love it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811995016

I also have one of these its excellent.

I running an S-flex 1900rpm off my Rev c TRUE. Thinking about adding a second fan same RPM's for push pull with a fan controller but will wait until I push the overclock abit higher. @ 3.6 one fan + the 6 case fans in my system is good enough for 38c idle and 68c Full load with HT on.

Im looking at buying 9 fans total. The coolermaster 690 will take 7 fans total, a 120 in the front, a 120 in the rear, 2x 140's up top, a 120 in the bottom, and 2x 140's on the side. Plus the 2 fans for the mega shadow.

I have some tek-chain 120mm fans that I picked up from the egg a few years back.

They are all aluminum body so i'm hoping that the extra aluminum will help disappate some heat from my pm and keep it nice a cool + quiet.

Back