Meghalem Temp on 920

sikanx

n00b
got a new rig, Meghalem with 38mm fan in push,

i7 920 d0 stepping at stock speed,

normal task at 40c, prime 95 loaded at 60c,

ambient at 24c,

how is my temp looking?

I kinda would've expected it to be a bit lower, but I'm not an expert. I ordered a Mega Shadow with two 120x120x25 61 CFM's to go push/pull. I haven't set it all up yet, but I was hoping to see slightly lower numbers.

It's not like 60 load is uncomfortable, but I wonder how it would look after an OC.

I would have thought they'd be lower too. Mine runs at 35-36c (idle) with 20c ambient temps clocked at 3.9+ghz (C0 @ 1.416v Vcore) I use a single coolermaster R4 fan, 120mm 25mm @ about 70cfm Loaded down it runs around 64-65c

What thermal paste did you use and what are your system specs? Also what are you using to measure the temp? Real Temp, Core Temp, Speedfan, BIOS.......

Last edited:
what are you guys using to test temps? according to my freshly built comp, i idle at 22-24c and when encoding it goes up to 34-36c with ambient temps at 20c. this is with e-leet

How's your case airflow?.

Megahalem is about as good as you can get without going for watercooling but its also as good as your case's airflow is.

my thermal paste was arctic silver 5, i used real temp,

the strange thing is, i use a evga x58 tri sli mobo, and there is an onboard cpu temp display, which is like 25 idle, about 40 load,

but in the realtemp, it is at 38-40 idle, 60 load,
do i need to setup the realtemp maybe its inaccurate? thanks

If you're not going to overclock, those temperatures are nothing to stress about. But if you want to have lower temperatures, you can always dismount the cooler, cleanup your CPU, apply the thermal paste again and mount the cooler. Who knows, perhaps there are some tiny air bubbles between your cooler and heatspreader. It's a good idea to look at your case airflow as well. For a high-end system you'd want at the very least a single 120mm intake and 120mm outtake.

my thermal paste was arctic silver 5, i used real temp,

the strange thing is, i use a evga x58 tri sli mobo, and there is an onboard cpu temp display, which is like 25 idle, about 40 load,

but in the realtemp, it is at 38-40 idle, 60 load,
do i need to setup the realtemp maybe its inaccurate? thanks

The on board temp display is wildly inaccurate, do not trust it for a second. realtemp gives a far more accurate readout of what your core temps are.

I am just using the paste Corsair provided with my H50 and I am doing 4.0Ghz Idle 31-33C Load 66-69C across all cores. I was surprised that I didn't need to use AS5.

I am just using the paste Corsair provided with my H50 and I am doing 4.0Ghz Idle 31-33C Load 66-69C across all cores. I was surprised that I didn't need to use AS5.

Do you have HT enabled?

Doesn't Arctic Silver need some time to cure? If you just mounted the cooler recently, give it a bit of time. As was already said, those temps are not bad, they could just be better, especially if you plan to overclock. AS5 also has a pretty decent tutorial on how to apply.

Here's the link for the info. They specify a max of 200 hours before it's "set"

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

Last edited:
I think you used too much paste, or possibly really old paste. Get some Shin Etsu X23 or MX-2 and try again, with less than you think it needs.

i dont think too much paste will do this, unless its a LOT of paste. like instead of a rice kernel he used a garbanzo bean size amount? lol

i understand this, but considering this is a 920 he's using it on, even if he puts too much, theres room for spillover, so thus unless he uses half the tube, he'll be fine. overusage would not cause his high temps

Back