Memory Bandwidth vs. Raw Fill Rate

Hey guys,
I have a dillema that I'm not sure about. Im looking at getting a new vid (who isn't) card and I cant decide on these two issues. I am looking at the 6600GT and a friend has a 5900XT for sale. Here is my problem. I cant decide if I want Raw Power and fill rate over Memory Bandwidth.

Can Anyone give me advice?
Thanks,
Marshall

6600GT: $ 180.00 Street Price
Memory Interface 128-bit
Memory Bandwidth .14.4 GB/sec.
Fill Rate (texels/sec.) 4.0 billion
Vertices per Second 375 million
Memory Data Rate 900 MHz
Pixels per Clock (peak) 8
Core Clock 500 Mhz

5900XT: $125.00 Friend Price
Memory Interface 256-bit
Memory Bandwidth .22.4 GB/sec.
Fill Rate (texels/sec.) 3.2 billion
Vertices per Second 300 million
Memory Data Rate 700 MHz
Pixels per Clock (peak) 8
Core Clock 400 Mhz

Get the 6600GT. It is considerably faster, has PureVideo and the FX5xxx series has issues with games like Half Life.

Hey Guys I appreciate the quick replies, and I trust that you guys know your recommendations better than I considering your certainty. Can anyone give or point me to some info on this particular topic, about the idea of Clock speed, Fill rate, and Memory bandwidth? For Instance in order, which is more feature is more important in choosing a card? I realize that they work in unison, but Im curious about some particulars.
Thanks again,
Marshall

nyxmarshall said:
Hey Guys I appreciate the quick replies, and I trust that you guys know your recommendations better than I considering your certainty. Can anyone give or point me to some info on this particular topic, about the idea of Clock speed, Fill rate, and Memory bandwidth? For Instance in order, which is more feature is more important in choosing a card? I realize that they work in unison, but Im curious about some particulars.
Thanks again,
Marshall

Exactly, the numbers work in unison. The numbers are really only good when comparing cards that are of a similar generation (like a 6800 vs a 6600GT). You can't compare a GeForce 6xxx series versus a GeForce 5xxx series just based on the numbers as the GPU architecture is different. It is like comparing a AMD 64 3200+ versus an Athlon XP 3200+.

I can't point you in the direction of the info your looking for but the choice between the two a 6600gt is a no brainer.

The info your looking for shouldn't be used as a basis for buying a video card because it is a ton of other things working with it's basic specs that provide a good gaming experience.

fillrate and memory bandwidth aren't the only measure of a cards performance in games

there are big architectural differences between the NV30 and NV40/43, big differences

SmoothCorn said:
Get 6600GT, it performs 2 times better than 5900XT...

i dont see how this is correct , my logic :-

1 6800gt = 2 x fx5900's or so claimed by websites etc
1 6800gt = 2x 6600gt's or so claimed by websites etc

so how can 1 6600gt = 2x fx5900's ????

Back