Memory for E8400 and Abit ip35 pro

Scotch77

Gawd
So I have decided on the Intel E8400 as well as the Abit Ip35 for its motherboard. and a 8800GT for the graphics card.

Now all I need is memory, I want to try and bring this thing to 4ghz so I think I will need pc8500 or close to it. I have sen a few lists that have all the supported memory for my motherboard, but there are also alot of inconsistencies.

I want 4GB in a array of (2x 2gb). so 2 sticks for a total of 4GB. I have seen that the G.skill is what everybody is buying and thats fine, but have some trouble buying memory from a company I have never heard of before. So Il stick to OCZ, Mushkin, Corsair and Crucial.

I know I need or should get DDR2-1066(pc-8500), but from me looking many companies just make pc8000, such as mushkin and OCZ.

So to get the max overclock what memory kit will work with my setup and also what are the fastest chips being used now(micron, promos, etc...)

Thanks all.

CORSAIR ADVANCES SPEED GRADES ON DDR2 AND DDR3 DRAM PRODUCT LINES

Patented DHX (Dual-Path Heat Xchange) Technology Delivers Record-Breaking Speeds

Corsair, announced that new record-breaking speeds have been achieved within the Corsair DDR2 and DDR3 lines of DRAM memory.

Maximum Performance & Extreme Over-Clocking for Demanding Gaming Enthusiasts

Available by the end of February, two new Corsair 4GB DDR2 module speed grades are being offered for high-performance enthusiast users: Corsair 1066MHz (PC2-8500) and 1142MHz (PC2-9136) 4GB memory kits (2X2GB). The new memory modules utilize Corsair’s patented DHX technology, which employs a specially designed quadruple heat sink to dissipate heat through both convection and conductive methods. The results are maximum performance and extreme over-clocking capability for the demanding gaming enthusiast.

“Pushing the limits of new memory technologies, architectures and densities is what Corsair is known for,” said Jack Peterson, VP of Corporate Marketing at Corsair. “These latest announcements will clearly impress our highly demanding enthusiast customers, as well as push Corsair even farther into the lead as the world’s fastest memory solutions manufacturer,” added Peterson.

Recent next generation platform testing using the latest DDR3 technologies, highest density DRAM parts, as well as Corsair DHX cooling solutions has proven that memory modules with performance speeds reaching over 2000MHz (PC3-16000) are now ready for production. The modules operate at faster memory bus speeds than currently available 1800MHz solutions.

The DOMINATOR line from Corsair has been the world’s leader in high-performance memory solutions and continues to lead the way with the addition of four new DDR3 DHX memory kits. These new modules will be available in 2GB configurations and are expected to be available this quarter.

“Since DDR3 was announced, the industry has been struggling to break through the 2GHz barrier,” said John Beekley, VP Applications at Corsair. “Combining our DHX Technology and extensive work with chipset developers on Bios modification, Corsair’s recent lab test results indicate that not only is 2GHz production memory going to be available, but there is plenty of room for further speed improvements.”

All Corsair memory modules are available through Corsair’s authorized distributors and resellers world-wide. Corsair DRAM products are backed by a Lifetime Limited Warranty. Complete customer support via telephone, email, forum and TS Xpress is also available. For more information on Corsair High-Performance Memory, please visit http://www.corsair.com.

Sounds pretty sweet. I just got the 6400 C4 modules a couple of weeks ago.

G.skill has been around forever - I'd say they are as respectable as the others you've listed.

Lol for someone posting on [H], not even knowing who G.Skill is a bit concerning. Anyone overclocking XP-M's back in 03 should have seen the RAM reviews popping up.

I went with G. Skill because of the recommendations on this forum. Works perfectly as advertised.

Regarding GSkill, i just built new PC (in my sig), got 2x2GB modules (although 6400's), and they perform very well, not a single problem so far.

Ya, from what I have read G.Skill has been around for a while but they are less seen in North America. I have some G.Skill 8500 and it works as wella s I can tell, I have a asus maximus forumla and it is horrible with 8500 ram so I have a IP35 Pro on the way to replace it and I will be able to tell you how well it works.

I'm building the same system as the OP and have the same performance goals.

I've narrowed my memory choices down to:

CORSAIR TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX

or

PATRIOT PVS24G6400LLK

Both are 4 Gig (2x2) matched pairs but the Patriot's timings are tighter albeit at a higher voltage of 2.2V.

Any recommendations & why?

I just installed this stuff http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145194 Better timings and may overclock higher, I personally haven't tried overclocking it yet though. I may buy the Corsair memory cooler before pushing it.

G.Skill has actually been in the States for quite some time now (Newegg was one of the first that I can recall selling them stateside)... They made a name for themselves, if memory serves, back w/ the "HZ" DDR1 line of memory - the Samsung based stuff if I recall (TCCx or UCCC - the "D9" of it's time?). Cheap for it's time against the big boys like Corsair, and performed well.

Well priced and highly overclockable/performance oriented DDR2 kits are like shooting fish in a barrel these days it seems. I haven't paid that much attention recently, but it seems as if there's hardly any truly crappy choices to be made.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I decided to go with the Patriot after reading a decent review on it. They also have it as a recommended item for enthusiasts so I figured I'd go for it.

no matter whether you have heard of them or not. i've had ocz and *garg* corsair flame out on me more often than gskill. and while mushkin makes great memory (or did) i haven't used their stuff since ddr-550. so pay your money and take your chance.

Guys I have Gskill bhz memory in my p5b and love it.

BUT my buddy purchased a giga board at the same time and purchased the next grade down memory because he was not thinking of oc his setup...then new E6400 processor.
The memory would not post on his system.

After finding out it was bad he sent his 6400 memory to them for replacement they returned 5300 memory and said his purchase was oc 5300 labeled 6400 so the lower replacement was compatable with what he had purchased. WTF IS THIS...does that show they are mislabeling their memory for higher price or just a rip off on the replacement?

I like my memory from them but if they had pulled this S with me I would still be posting LOL

================
I have a new 8400 dfi system and thinking of muskin or gskill 2x2 sticks ...>>>>>>>>>corsair 2x2 8500 Dominator on sale for $123 after $40 rebate at zoomfly and you get cute little fans too

in test gskill 8000 stock to stock have better memory thru put than corsair I don't know which to get

Back