Memory for Linux Gaming Server

brachy33

Gawd
I currently am using 2Gb PC3200 ECC on a Tyan board with an Athlon64 4000 Sandy and a Gigabit NIC. I am running SuSE10.0 on the server and using the machine mainly as a gaming server, usually running BF2.

I am connected to broadband giving 6MBs downstream and 770Kbs upstream, but I still am getting lag after having 6 or more people connecting to the server.

Would another 2Gb of memory help this server out?? Is 4 Gb memory overkill or not really going to do much in terms of server performance??

Thanks for any help!

i've never tried running a game server, but here's a few things you can keep an eye on when a bunch of people get on and it starts lagging:

cpu utilization
memory allocated
network utilization

also.. are you gaming on the same rig that you're hosting the server on?

(cf)Eclipse said:
i've never tried running a game server, but here's a few things you can keep an eye on when a bunch of people get on and it starts lagging:

cpu utilization
memory allocated
network utilization

also.. are you gaming on the same rig that you're hosting the server on?

I would think that it is more of a bandwidth problem. Also I would just have the server boot to console, not into a GUI.

According to BF2 Server Wiki your bandwidth is insufficient.

Yeah, your bandwidth looks low to me. Youve got plenty of downstream but your upstream is severly lacking.

Thanks for the replys!

I run the bf2 linux server software only on the server rig and I am only using the command prompt to run the program, so no GUI. I connect to the server from my gaming rig, or the rig listed in my sig, through a gigabit router.

Is it safe to assume, based on the upstream bandwidth facts, that memory is not going to help out the server performance then, in terms of decreasing lag to clients connecting to my server??

Thanks again!

yeah more ram wont help you. you need fast up and down, around 10mb for full 48 playas. T1 will take you up to 32 players, after that you are in big buck territory.

Back