memory issues causing BSODs with CFX?

• Thread starter Deleted member 82943
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 82943

So I'm trying to determine why i'm getting all sorts of BSODs on all the drivers 10.9 and down. I noticed this in my bios.

which the second one seems way odd but cpu-z reports this

But also as a talking-out-loud-please-offer-some-suggestions bit here's what I plan.

Run the new XFX card without the known working sapphire card and see if it is bad. Drivers that will be used will be the 10.9 ones to also prove that those drivers work.

If the card after being stressed works just fine I'll continue to test 10.9 to see if I see any issues in any of the games I play.

If that works I'll add the second card, make sure CFX is working and then, install the application profiles.

If all else hits the fan, i'll come back to square one, if it continues either I'll RMA the card or you'll see two 5850s for way fair prices on the FS/FT ;-)

So I'm trying to determine why i'm getting all sorts of BSODs on all the drivers 10.9 and down. I noticed this in my bios.

which the second one seems way odd but cpu-z reports this

But also as a talking-out-loud-please-offer-some-suggestions bit here's what I plan.

Run the new XFX card without the known working sapphire card and see if it is bad. Drivers that will be used will be the 10.9 ones to also prove that those drivers work.

If the card after being stressed works just fine I'll continue to test 10.9 to see if I see any issues in any of the games I play.

If that works I'll add the second card, make sure CFX is working and then, install the application profiles.

If all else hits the fan, i'll come back to square one, if it continues either I'll RMA the card or you'll see two 5850s for way fair prices on the FS/FT ;-)

Sounds like a plan, but I would suggest only running the 1st DIMM while testing.

Personally I would run memtest 86+ overnight with both DIMMS installed before I did anything. If it fails, I would consult the memory manufacturer's website for information, and manually set the timings and voltage in BIOS. After that I would test it again with memtest 86+.

Happy troubleshooting!

I've proven that the xfx card works; time to test the ram. Ugh, I wish things just worked.

Out of curiosity, what mobo/chipset are you running on? I might jsut be blind but I didn't see it in your sig.

790fx asus m4a79xtd evo

all of the systems I see that have cfx 5850s are intel based ones...

That shouldn't be an issue. I would assume that an AMD processor, AMD motherboard chipset, and an AMD (ATI) graphics card would all work together without conflicts.

I just wanted to check since I didn't see it listed. I know I was having issues on my old Nvidia chipset.

yeah the intel thing was just an unfounded conjecture.

I'm gonna run memtest86+ once I get the liveCD installed.
Does this sound good? Run my comp with both video cards in, all the ram populated, the ssds in raid, basically how I have it and then check for problems?

i hate having all these problems but here's to fixing them and cheers for helping

yea, pretty much all you need to do is be able to boot to a USB flash stick....all the other stuff like raid, graphics and what not doesn't matter for memtest 86+, so feel free to keep it all in.

I hope it helps.

I know how frustrating it can all be.

Back