Memory not detected on ZE5600 laptop...(really weird one!)

pugwash83

n00b
hi all.
I've got a ZE5600 laptop which came with 256MB PC2700 2.5v 333
I wanted to upgrade, so I got 2 x 512 PC2700 2.5v 333
With the new memory installed the laptop turns on but displays a blank screen.
With one of the new memory chips and one old chip the laptop is only detecting the old memory.
What I find strange here is that the HP manual seems to state that the original memory should be 266MHZ, however this laptop came from HP with 333MHZ!
I have tried upgrading/flashing the BIOS to the latest version. This made no difference.
The laptops max memory is 1GB.

Has anyone got any ideas of what I could try?
Thanks

Difficult to diagnose over a forum as it could be a number of things but a couple of things to try.

First of all remove the memory completely and reinstall it and check that it is seated properly (apologies if you know to do this). If your brave you could try putting on an anti static wrist band and gently cleaning the contact pins with your (clean) fingers).

If you have slower ram (ie 266mhz ram instead of 333mhz) it should be an issue, it just means that the memory won't be performing at the maximum ability of the laptop and if its got 333mhz ram and the laptop's FSB can only handle 266mhz the you simply won't be exploiting the memory to its full potential so this shouldn't matter.

Of greater consequence is if you've bought DDR2 ram and the laptop is only capable of supporting DDR - this would cause a system issue. Go to www.crucial.com and run their memory checker and this will tell you exactly what spec memory you need.

If this ties up with what you've got and you've checked it is installed properly check the bios to see if there's any settings in there. Rare these days but not inconceivable.

Finally, if none of this works it looks like the ram could be duff. If you have a friend's laptop that you could try it in that may rule this in or out.

Trust this helps.

Cheers

Danny B

Difficult to diagnose over a forum as it could be a number of things but a couple of things to try.

First of all remove the memory completely and reinstall it and check that it is seated properly (apologies if you know to do this). If your brave you could try putting on an anti static wrist band and gently cleaning the contact pins with your (clean) fingers).

If you have slower ram (ie 266mhz ram instead of 333mhz) it should be an issue, it just means that the memory won't be performing at the maximum ability of the laptop and if its got 333mhz ram and the laptop's FSB can only handle 266mhz the you simply won't be exploiting the memory to its full potential so this shouldn't matter.

Of greater consequence is if you've bought DDR2 ram and the laptop is only capable of supporting DDR - this would cause a system issue. Go to www.crucial.com and run their memory checker and this will tell you exactly what spec memory you need.

If this ties up with what you've got and you've checked it is installed properly check the bios to see if there's any settings in there. Rare these days but not inconceivable.

Finally, if none of this works it looks like the ram could be duff. If you have a friend's laptop that you could try it in that may rule this in or out.

Trust this helps.

Cheers

Danny B

hi danny, appreciate your quick response man.

The funny thing about this is that the OEM memory that was received with the laptop was in fact 333mhz. That memory works fine. So I don't see why the memory that I bought (333mhz type) won't work. Tried the whole cleaning thing (even though its brand new memory ), that ain't making a difference. The new ram isn't even making a 'beeping' noise which is what I've experienced in the past with different type memory - it's a blank screen, nothing more... I think I possibly have duff ram, but funnily enough there are other people that have the same problem. See here : http://www.techsupportforum.com/har...rt/238962-hp-pavilion-ze5600-ram-upgrade.html

I just can't really understand why HP provided me with a 333mhz chip when the laptop was sold but yet when I buy other memory of the EXACT same spec it doesn't work?

As dannybgoode said, there should be no problem running higher-speed memory than what your laptop supports. It should just run it at the reduced speed. HP probably provided that because they also use it in 333MHz-capable machines, and it's often cheaper just to get a bunch of one type.

Now, it is possible that your laptop is having trouble understanding the SPD information on the new chip (which identifies how fast the memory can run and at what timings). You may want to try upgrading your BIOS.

I remember with older PC-133 SDRAM, there was an issue of "high density" vs "low density" memory modules. Most of the larger memory chips (512MB/stick back then) were high density and wouldn't work on many older motherboards. However, I'm not aware of any issues like this with DDR, so it shouldn't affect you. Still, a BIOS update may help.

As for DDR1 vs DDR2, I don't think that's the issue either. I don't believe they make DDR2 in 333MHz, and even if they did, I doubt it would fit in the same slots.

Though I have never experienced it personally, some motherboards are finicky about the brands of memory they'll work with. Once again a BIOS update can help, but you might just have to exchange the memory for a different brand that's known to work with your machine.

Of course, there's always the possibility that the new RAM is DOA. Unlikely for both sticks, but certainly possible.

As dannybgoode said, there should be no problem running higher-speed memory than what your laptop supports. It should just run it at the reduced speed. HP probably provided that because they also use it in 333MHz-capable machines, and it's often cheaper just to get a bunch of one type.

Now, it is possible that your laptop is having trouble understanding the SPD information on the new chip (which identifies how fast the memory can run and at what timings). You may want to try upgrading your BIOS.

I remember with older PC-133 SDRAM, there was an issue of "high density" vs "low density" memory modules. Most of the larger memory chips (512MB/stick back then) were high density and wouldn't work on many older motherboards. However, I'm not aware of any issues like this with DDR, so it shouldn't affect you. Still, a BIOS update may help.

As for DDR1 vs DDR2, I don't think that's the issue either. I don't believe they make DDR2 in 333MHz, and even if they did, I doubt it would fit in the same slots.

Though I have never experienced it personally, some motherboards are finicky about the brands of memory they'll work with. Once again a BIOS update can help, but you might just have to exchange the memory for a different brand that's known to work with your machine.

Of course, there's always the possibility that the new RAM is DOA. Unlikely for both sticks, but certainly possible.

Hi, yeah like I said I've already done a BIOS update. That didn't seem to make any difference. I'll certainly try another brand of memory, just annoying that HP don't say what brands work with their machines and what don't. Cheers.

Visually inspect both sets of memory, new and old, and count the number of ICs on the modules. You could be seeing a density issue, meaning that the new memory is made using higher density ICs that your laptop cannot address.

Back