Memory pairing question

Tigerblade

2[H]4U
Is it possible to run 2 x 256 dual channel ddr400 alongside a stick of 512 ddr400 and 1gb ddr400 which isn't dual channel yet set up in the adjacent sockets??....if that makes sense lol

If i'm reading that correctly, you have 4 slots and 4 sticks of RAM. With the combo you describe (2x256 + 512 + 1gb) you'll have 2gb of RAM, but definitly no dual channel. Why not just sell the 2x256 and the 512 and buy another gig stick, and run dual channel?

Vertigo Acid said:
If i'm reading that correctly, you have 4 slots and 4 sticks of RAM. With the combo you describe (2x256 + 512 + 1gb) you'll have 2gb of RAM, but definitly no dual channel. Why not just sell the 2x256 and the 512 and buy another gig stick, and run dual channel?

Not for me it's a friend. The mobo is a a8v deluxe so your 4 slots of dual channel. Just wanna know if it would boot, as he already has the 2x 256 running dual channel and when the 512 is plugged in the pc wont boot. So if a gb stick is paired with the 512 would it boot, or do they have to be the same amount?

512 and 1 gig will not run in dual channel together. Try to take out the 512 and with just the 2 x 256 go to bios and see if u can manually disable dual channel most motherboards just auto detect it but some have a manual override. As far as whether it will boot with a 512 and a gig in terms of this problem I can’t say.

That should work, as long as there both ddr400 then it shouldnt be a problem but like he said, you cant run in dual channel. your best bet is to just run the one gig stick and get rid of the other ones and buy a matching gig stick..... Its easy to make your money on ram these days, go tell someone you got a gig of performance ram, sell them the 2*256 and the five twelve. and charge them 150 and save 30 bucks and get a matching stick. :) But if he really needs to keep the ram and wants to run two gigs. i would have this setup. But before you do it, just put in the single gig stick and boot to the setup/bios and disable dual channel. Then you should have no problems. But like i said, your performance will faulter slightly without the dual channel.

SLOT ONE. gig stick
SLOT TWO 512
SLOT THREE AND FOUR 256

Back