Memory platform confusion

Techx

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm no newb but I haven't looked into buying HW in many many years so I'm really out of the loop. My common sense would tell me that the same ram can be used in either platform, intel or amd. But when i look at these corsairs theres all this 'specifically designed for intel' stuff and user reviews only talking about their intel builds.. and the same set on amazon has intel in the title, even if thats true is it still ok to buy for an amd build? or are certain sets better for the different platforms? or is it all marketing BS? :) ty

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
One thing to think about is how many channels you have. Ideally you want to have the same configuration on each channel so with a dual channel processor you want to be fitting two modules of the same size/speed/etc at a time (some swear by matched kits but afaict they aren't really needed), on a triple channel processor you want to be fitting three modules of the same size/speed/etc at a time.

Since that kit has three identical modules it is only really appropriate for a processor with triple channel memory (which afaict means intel LGA1366 processors).

Oh ok so if im looking at getting a x4 phenom II that support only dual channel ram then thats what i have to get.. i wasnt thinking about dual/triple channels stuff

thx much!

Related to this, motherboard manufactures list supported memory. Is there a reason why you can't get memory from a different manufacturer if it has the same timings and latency, for example:

Timing: 9-9-9-24-2N and c9, 1.5v

I think the only other variable would be the quality of the RAM and how closely it adheres to the stated specs. Of course if it's bad ram, all bets are off...

also i'd say, if you plan to max out your ram it would be better to get 2x4GB instead of 4x2GB.
I know it costs more but you have more flexibility in the future, also overclocks more easily

Related to this, motherboard manufactures list supported memory. Is there a reason why you can't get memory from a different manufacturer if it has the same timings and latency

Even having the same timings and voltages you might find that a certain stick won't run on a given motherboard. Some motherboards are VERY finicky when it comes to RAM and imho it's in your best interest to at the very least see what others are using *sucessfully* with the board. :)

Back