Memory problems on a DFI Lanparty SLI-DR?

Gambit

Gawd
Alright, I put together this computer some time ago and all has been peachy with it running an Opteron (170 I believe) and 2x 1gb sticks of mushkin DDR500 ram. I recently decided to upgrade the ram a smidge due to needing more for VMWare. Since newegg didn't have the same ram anymore, I decided to go with 2x 512MB Ballistix Tracers. After dropping them into the orange slots on my machine, it now says I have 1gb of ram installed and windows won't boot. Basically, with all of the sticks in or one of each, it'll only recognize the tracers and won't fully boot. With two of the mushkin in and one tracer, it won't even post.

Any ideas on how to get this working? The motherboard has the newest bios and the ram is the same speed. I don't see what the problem is. Ideas / Suggestions / Comments?

when the dfi sees two kits of ram with different SPDs, it ignores one of them.

two options... void warranty and overwrite the SPD of one kit with the SPD of the other one. if they're not otherwise identical ram, this will kill it, so maybe not a good idea
other option is to return the ram and pick up another set of what you already had

when the dfi sees two kits of ram with different SPDs, it ignores one of them.

two options... void warranty and overwrite the SPD of one kit with the SPD of the other one. if they're not otherwise identical ram, this will kill it, so maybe not a good idea
other option is to return the ram and pick up another set of what you already had

You might also think about exchanging the new memory for a 2gb kit and doing something else with the old RAM. The DFI boards are super finicky when it comes to RAM as Eclipse says.

oh great, I wish I knew this to begin with. What really gets me is that it's the same speed ram that I have in there now; I went through the order history and made sure I got the same speed ram so this wouldn't happen. I know I can't get the same stuff I already got (newegg doesn't carry it anymore), I doubt I'll be able to sell it, and I don't have the money for a 4gb kit. Go figure.

1. eBay DDR500
2. Return new RAM to Newegg, get online and go to their chat with a support rep thingie and request to have restocking fee waived (ALWAYS works for me, maybe 5 times)
3. Purchase 2x1GB DDRwhatever RAM

...and that would mean I'm back to 2gb of memory, which is what I have now. I'd either have to try returning the new stuff and try to get something else and risk running into the same situation or take a hit and buy 4gb of the same stuff.

Running a test environment in VMWare. One 2k3 server VM as a DC, a second 2k3 VM for exchange 2k3 and a 3rd VM to interact with them. Each, they don't need to do tons of processing as I can (for the most part), set them up all separately from each other. When I need them to run at the same time for testing, it's gonna take memory to have them all going at once. Idle, without Opera running on the host, I'll have about 1.4g free. 512MB each isn't *bad*, but I think more would be better.

Back