Memory question with Vista 64 bit Ultimate

gporche

n00b
Currently, I am running Vista 32 bit Ultimate with 4gb (4x1024) dual channel modules.
Corsair CM3X1024 1333C9DHX.

I am considering reformatting and installing Vista 64 bit Ultimate.
The question is if I but Corsair dual channel 1333C9dhx in (2x2048) modules, could I still use 1 pair of the (2X1024)modules in the other slots for a total of 6GB memory. Or should I just use my (4x1024) or the (2x2048) modules. My sig is attached

BTW, I already have all the latest 64 bit drivers for all my hardware and after researching all my apps should work fine in 64 bit. I also have a second hard disk with XP pro I can boot to should any apps not work.

either should be fine

recommend (based on others complaints) that you only have 2Gb's installed when installing vista, then add the rest once done

When I installed Vista 32, I had all 4 gb installed and didn't have a single problem. Installation went extremely smooth.

When I installed Vista 32, I had all 4 gb installed and didn't have a single problem. Installation went extremely smooth.

There's been some problems with installing 64bit Vista on some systems with more than 2GB of RAM. I want to also say that that certain Nvidia chipsets were involved, but I'm not sure on that.

However, SP1 has a patch included that fixed that problem, so if your install media includes it you'll be fine.

Thanks ryan_975. I have the retail upgrade version of Ultimate SP1 and it has both 32bit and 64bit DVD's. I used the upgrade guide on this forum to do a clean install with 32 bit and it went perfectly without a single hitch. In fact, the only problem I've had with this board and hardware was lockups at first. But that problem was solved long ago. The bios in auto set the memory voltage at 1.5 volts and it was supposed to be 1.7 volts. Set it manually in bios and all lockups dissappeared. i could be on the safe side and remove 2 gb of memory until it is installed then add the memory back.

Thanks ryan_975. I have the retail upgrade version of Ultimate SP1 and it has both 32bit and 64bit DVD's. I used the upgrade guide on this forum to do a clean install with 32 bit and it went perfectly without a single hitch. In fact, the only problem I've had with this board and hardware was lockups at first. But that problem was solved long ago. The bios in auto set the memory voltage at 1.5 volts and it was supposed to be 1.7 volts. Set it manually in bios and all lockups dissappeared. i could be on the safe side and remove 2 gb of memory until it is installed then add the memory back.

There shouldn't be any problems at all with all 6GB since you already have SP1.

i had troubles installing vista64 with my 4 GB i took one 3gb stick out and installed with just 2gb and then when i finished installing, i added the other stick.

I run 6 gig in my system with no problems using 64 bit ultimate. The only issue I had is the bios on the motherboard set the timings very conservatively, so I had to manually set them to 5-5-5-15, which all memory supports. Actually the 2 gig sticks support 4-4-4-15 but the smaller 1 gig chips are slightly slower. At any rate, 6 gig works great.

There's been some problems with installing 64bit Vista on some systems with more than 2GB of RAM. I want to also say that that certain Nvidia chipsets were involved, but I'm not sure on that.

However, SP1 has a patch included that fixed that problem, so if your install media includes it you'll be fine.

For the first format of my new system and every subsequent format I had all 8 gigs in my system. I also have the SP1 dvd of Vista 64 Ultimate. No issues installing windows at all.

I did a clean install of Vista 64-bit Ultimate OEM (with SP1 *not* initially installed) with 8GB RAM on an Asus P5N-D (750i)-based system. No memory-related problems. (I did have a known issue with part of the Nvidia SATA driver not playing nice with my SATA optical drives, but that's unrelated to memory size.)

UPDATE: I just Re-Installed vista with all of my 4gb (2x2gb) installed and when without a hitch :D

i don't know why it didn't work before, i have not changed hardware..... but it worked now with the PC on my sig.

Back