Memtest 86+ Question

200mg

Limp Gawd
I have 4 gb of corsair xms2 in my system, sometimes while playing games, namely cod4, my screen will freeze and whatever sound is playing will loop extremely fast where it sounds like a buzzing sound. Sometimes I recover, sometimes it freezes all the way up.

I have checked and resat everything, then I ran memtest. It is coming back with errors and I'm wondering how do I know which slot is giving the errors. It doesn't say this on the metest interface, it only shows the address it was testing which I can't trace back to a Dimm slot. I suppose I could unhook them all and run them one at a time on memtest in slot1. I was just wondering if any of the pro's in this forum had a better, err faster, way of deducing which stick is the bad stick?

With dual-channel stuff anymore its hard to determine by the address which stick is causing it. In non-dual channel systems, you can usually tell from the address which is the offending stick (since the memory space gets added from the first slot on up).

Generally, the best sure-fire way is to just test one stick at a time. If you have dual-channel memory kits, they generally prefer to RMA them back as a pair.

Back