memtest86 OR Prime95

Ph0s5ph0L1p1D

Limp Gawd
OK so I got my CPU OCed around 12% and I can run memtest86 overnight without any errors, but when I run prime 95 I get errors and the test stops......

which one should I trust? so far I haven't got any blue screens or anything, and I benchmarked both aquamark03 and 3dmark03 and I played about an hour of NFSU2.

is there something wrong with my prime95? or should I just ignore Prime95 and listen to memtest86?

Well, if Prime says there are errors present, it wouldn't be making it up ;) If it's error free at stock settings, but errors out when you're overclocked, something isn't calculating correctly at those speeds, be it the memory or the CPU itself (never heard of the CPU doing this, but hey, it's possible). Slowly drop your OC until you find an error free level, and leave it there. If your memory isn't anything spectacular (say Kingston ValueRAM like I have) then you might want to upgrade to better memory and then overclock, as value memory doesn't enjoy overclocking well.

Memtest checks memory for problems and errors..Prime95 checks stability.

So.....prime

ok then I need your guyz help, what does

"rounding 0.5 expected less than 0.4" mean? what can I do to fix it?

Ph0s5ph0L1p1D said:

I've had that *exact* error before. Over and over again. In my case, it was due to memory that was too highly overclocked.
Boot, drop into BIOS, drop your overclock one notch. Boot into windows. Run prime. Repeat until Prime runs for hours and hours without an error.

lol....thread is already getting a lil violent....more vcore or vdim also helps stability with the proper cooling of course....

This means you have to loosen your memory timings. Had the same happen to me. I OC'd my 2500+ to 3200+ and my timings were 2-2-3-6 and i was getting the same errors and would sometimes reboot unexpectedly. So i didnt DE-CLOCK, i just loosened my timings to 2.5-3-3-7 and all was good.

I use both, plus SuperPi, so that's 3 benchmarks I run.
And yes, if you get errors there are 3 things you can do.
1. Loosen timings, I have to run at 2336 with my current memory.
2. OC a little bit less until the errors go away.
3. Raise Vcore in tiny steps, but watch your CPU temp and make sure it doesn't go above 65c at full load.
For my FX53, the default Vcore is 1.55, but when I OC, it's raised to 1.725. If you are cooling on air, you probably can't go that high because your CPU will heat up. In my case, I'm cooling on water, so it's no problem.

1) superpi
2) memtest
3) games
4) prime95 for seal of approval

If you're going to run p95 everytime you change a setting you'll soon go mad and spend 5months before you manage to overclock your system :p

I always aim for 48 hours stability running prime 95...Takes a while at first but always well worth the wait. Anything over that you can just blame windows and programs with memory leaks. Or other hardware issues that have nothing to do with the OC. :p

I also like to run 3dmark at the same time as prime95 for an hour or so as a pre-test.

for me, prime doesn't mean shit. I get errors, but my computer NEVER freezes. I don't really care about memtest either, even though I get 0 errors.

Back