Merom Celeron or Yonah Pentium Dual Core?

fuelvolts

[H]ard|Gawd
My wife's laptop runs a Merom based Celeron running at 2ghz. It runs decent, but has a hard time viewing HD videos. Also, since there is no throttling, it gets a little hot in your lap.

Since the warranty just expired, I was thinking of upgrading the chip, but C2D chips are really expensive. Even on ebay.

But, I did find a Yonah based Pentium Dual Core 1.6ghz. Would this be worth the ~$23 upgrade? Is it really an upgrade? I really don't want to spend more than that (the laptop was a black friday deal last year for only $198).

Summary:
Celeron 575 Merom-2M 2.0 ghz -----> Intel Pentium Dual Core T2060 (Core based) 1.6 ghz
Worth it for $23?

EDIT: Here is the chip
http://www.compuvest.com/Desc.jsp?iid=946471
Is this socket P? That's what my wife's laptop runs.

THANKS!

From other forums, it looks like I have to get a T5xxx or higher since this laptop has the santa rosa chipset. Also I need to find a 667 mhz FSB chip. Cheapest I could find is a 1.73 ghz T5300 but it's $40.

Is that chip better?

I have a Santa Rosa chipset in my laptop, I got a t7100 for about $30. You should be able to get a t7100 easily for about $50.

Bidding on a Core 2 Duo T5550 SLA4E 1.83ghz Socket P
That should work. I found a forum poster with my same laptop and that chip upgrade.

I have a T5600, and it will do HD video, and flash, too. (basically a slightly higher clocked t5550, at 1.86GHz)

However, I have not tested full bown 1080p, just 1080p source (bluray), down to 1280x800 screen.

Best of luck to you!

It took a hell of a long time to open, but I got a T5550 1.83 ghz Core 2 Duo in there. So far so good! Single core Winrar went a bit down, but enable multithreading, and the C2D blew it out of the water.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

capturewg.png

Notice that the chip now has Speedstep enabled! The Celeron didn't have that. Maybe my lap won't catch fire anymore. :)

Typing from it now.

It wouldn't turn on this morning. After rebooting and shutting down and restarting about 5 times last night to test, I wake up and it won't start. I'm like WTF? So I take it to my work "bench" were I took it apart. Remove the battery, then think, before I take it apart again, I'm going to try it one more time. So I put the battery back in and press the start button, and it starts right up. Guess it needed to be scared straight. :)

I hope that was just a fluke. I made sure all the connectors were put back right. I triple checked. Oh well.

What's a good method to burn in the CPU before I give this guy positive feedback on ebat? Thanks? Is Prime 95 still the standard?

Back