Metal Gear Solid to be remade with new Fox Engine

Intredasting. I wonder if they're going to use the original voices. I didn't like some of the voices they used on the Twin Snakes, I can't remember who since I haven't played it since it launched, but some of them just sounded way too different than the original and not as good.

Omg thank you for posting this. I had no idea Kojima was interested in doing this. I mean, I think it's largely unnecessary for me because I have the original and the Gamecube remake (I bought the Gamecube just to play Twin Snakes).

I know I would buy this in a instant. I could play MGS a thousand times and love it every time. In fact, I was just thinking the last week I would replay it after i'm done replaying MGS 4.

As far as the studio goes, I have no idea. I personally thought Silicon Knights did Twin Snakes very well. I think this remake with Fox would be a very welcome addition to the MGS games, because I think Twin Snakes was very crippled in that it only came out on Gamecube. Not to mention the Gamecube itself, which has the worst controller i've ever used.

Ahhhh I see what they are doing. Legacy collection (all metal gear solid games bundle) for the ps3 them BAM, Metal Gear Solid Ultra Edition (all metal gear solid games (And maybe MGS:GZ/PP) in "real" HD remade under the FOX engine for PS4 and XBone.....very Clever Kojima, very clever indeed.

And the sad thing is if they do that I'll buy this Ultra FOX collection.

Ahhhh I see what they are doing. Legacy collection (all metal gear solid games bundle) for the ps3 them BAM, Metal Gear Solid Ultra Edition (all metal gear solid games (And maybe MGS:GZ/PP) in "real" HD remade under the FOX engine for PS4 and XBone.....very Clever Kojima, very clever indeed.

I really doubt Kojima is behind the decision to keep releasing remakes... he just really loves Metal Gear and it's a huge cash cow for Konami so they are milking it. But regardless, MGS on Fox Engine would be a welcome update. I just question how well it would translate. Like Kojima said, that game was made for a different era. I think they'll have to reimagine most of it and design it in such a way for the new gameplay mechanics. All the essentials area already there to make it a great game, they just shouldn't venture far from the source material. As long as they do that, I know it'll be good.

Don't make it like the Goldeneye "remake" with Daniel Craig... Goldeneye 007: Reloaded.

Very cleaver he told you about it before Legacy is even released!!!!

I just hope they don't fuck up the music like with the Gamecube remake.

I don't understand why they decided to completely change one of the best aspects of the original.

I really doubt Kojima is behind the decision to keep releasing remakes... he just really loves Metal Gear and it's a huge cash cow for Konami so they are milking it. But regardless, MGS on Fox Engine would be a welcome update. I just question how well it would translate. Like Kojima said, that game was made for a different era. I think they'll have to reimagine most of it and design it in such a way for the new gameplay mechanics. All the essentials area already there to make it a great game, they just shouldn't venture far from the source material. As long as they do that, I know it'll be good.

Don't make it like the Goldeneye "remake" with Daniel Craig... Goldeneye 007: Reloaded.

I completely agree. And like I said, i would gladly buy the FOX Remake when released. Tough I dought it would include all the games that are already going to be a part of the Legacy collection coming out next month for PS3

I have never played any of the MGS games but have always wanted to. I was looking at the PS3 HD version the other day but didn't buy it. Should I? Or just wait for the PS4?

Last edited:
I have never played any of the MSG games but have always wanted to. I was looking at the PS3 HD version the other day but didn't buy it. Should I? Or just wait for the PS4?

The games all play very similarly, so if you like the gameplay in one you'll likely enjoy the others too. See if you can borrow one from a friend to try it out and if you like it there is complete collection coming out soon for PS3 that has MGS 1-4 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid:_The_Legacy_Collection

The HD collection currently available for PS3 and 360 doesn't include #4 or #1.

Kojima has always stated that he's felt that Twin Snakes was a disappointment, it'll be cool to see if it happens or not.

So this collection is just ports and not updated versions? (not to the extent of using the new engine, just clean textures and 1080p).

So this collection is just ports and not updated versions? (not to the extent of using the new engine, just clean textures and 1080p).

The theoretical Fox Engine version would be a remake.

The compilation coming out for PS3 is essentially a bundle of the existing versions, some of which (2, 3, and Peace Walker) are rendered at 720 with some of the textures cleaned up.

I'm sure they have the non-compressed voice over stashed away somewhere. You could remake the graphics then use the original digital VO.

I'm sure they have the non-compressed voice over stashed away somewhere. You could remake the graphics then use the original digital VO.

I thought that the reason they re-recorded everything for Twin Snakes was specifically because they no longer had the originals. It is much more likely the Twin Snakes originals are still around.

I havent played any MGS game! Every time I hear about how great they are. I'm a recent PS3 owner and thought about buying the HD collection, but it looks like now I will wait since I'll be getting a PS4 :)

I havent played any MGS game! Every time I hear about how great they are. I'm a recent PS3 owner and thought about buying the HD collection, but it looks like now I will wait since I'll be getting a PS4 :)

I would advise getting the Legacy collection anyway, maybe at a later date, perhaps it'll be available via download on PS4 some day, regardless, you'll probably want to play the others when you've completed MGS1.

It would be amazing if they re-did 2,3 and 4. Some of the revenue gained from The Phantom Pain could go towards this; those remakes would sell big time gaining even more profits and then dump some of that cash into remaking Metal Gear 1 and 2 (MSX versions, not NES versions). That would be golden.

I'm sure I'll get this but I wish they would remake the original Metal Gear 1 & 2. Something better than 8-bit would be great.

I'm sure I'll get this but I wish they would remake the original Metal Gear 1 & 2. Something better than 8-bit would be great.

I would imagine this would be an inevitability. We have come full circle for the most part and I don't see that there is anywhere else to go.

I would love to see David when he was a teenager in the Green Beret during the Gulf War before he was inducted into FOXHOUND and dubbed Solid Snake, including all his training (CQC etc.) all this included with a remake of Metal Gear 1 as a sort of prologue (like what Ground Zeroes might be like.) Not only will it give a greater depth and attachment between Big Boss and Solid, it could also portray the seeds of resentment in Liquid; all together giving a greater emotional weight to a remake of MG1+2. Not to mention a greater perspective and insight to the events in the Metal Gear Solid.

I would imagine this would be an inevitability. We have come full circle for the most part and I don't see that there is anywhere else to go.

I would love to see David when he was a teenager in the Green Beret during the Gulf War before he was inducted into FOXHOUND and dubbed Solid Snake, including all his training (CQC etc.) all this included with a remake of Metal Gear 1 as a sort of prologue (like what Ground Zeroes might be like.) Not only will it give a greater depth and attachment between Big Boss and Solid, it could also portray the seeds of resentment in Liquid; all together giving a greater emotional weight to a remake of MG1+2. Not to mention a greater perspective and insight to the events in the Metal Gear Solid.

That would be awesome. I have replayed MGS 2 a million times, and I have always wondered what Snake was getting into behind the scenes throughout the game so it would be cool to play as Snake through MGS 2 instead of Raiden. But really, if they redid it with Raiden i'd be okay with that too.

That would be awesome. I have replayed MGS 2 a million times, and I have always wondered what Snake was getting into behind the scenes throughout the game so it would be cool to play as Snake through MGS 2 instead of Raiden. But really, if they redid it with Raiden i'd be okay with that too.

Yeah if they did re-create MGS2 you'd have to follow the path of the original. Or you can (now this is a VERY lofty idea and in no way do I expect something like this but I can dream anyway) re-imagine the events of MGS2 where the game is redesigned with an open world type of approach semi-open because after all your either on a boat or in a "clean-up facility" which come to think of it, it IS already in fact semi-open world in a sort of way, anyway. (defining "open world" can be troublesome when trying to attach it to something that is ultimately not) But imagine a semi-open world approach with co-op where you and a friend play the role of either Solid Snake or Raiden. How one would implement that and still maintain a preexisting plot is anybodies guess. It's a fun idea though, but would require Kojima's full attention if he were to produce something like that, instead of passing it along to some external studio. I'd much rather him devote his time to new things (whether it be new IPs or continuing with MG)

Last edited:
Back