Metro 2033 review

Yo so quick question since my cousin went ahead and played the game but spoilers ahead:

So he played up to the library part and going against the library guys and according to him he played a bit past the elevator drop. So my question is, how the hell do you avoid or is there any avoiding them? He went around killing them non stop and almost left me with no ammo.

To save ammo (since they take so much to die) you can stare them down and back away or just run,if you know where you are going you can just run past pretty much all of them.

Does anybody have the Heavy Automatic Shotgun? Is it worth getting the limited edition of Metro 2033 to get this gun?

Just getting through chapter 2 and 3....just curious....playing on normal and there were some fights where I swear I got through by the skin of my teeth. Like: I was lucky that my last bullet killed the last mutant kind of scenarios. My gas mask was busted to hell, no med kits, etc. There was nothing i could do, I was swarmed!! :(

No chance. Couldn't disagree more - I loved the game but the gunplay was the one thing that let it down. I get that you're using dirty rounds, but there's a big disparity between the number of hits required to kill an enemy and how many are required to kill you, everything being equal.

The biggest annoyance is that the enemies scale to the stage in the storyline you're at. To begin with you've the standard revolver and double-barrelled shotgun, but you're fighting Bandits and standard mutants so it's ok.

By the time you get your hands on the AK, Bastard Gun, "2012" or whatever and there's a reliable stream of ammo, the enemies are all fully geared up. I did so much digging around and exploring and found plenty of good stuff, but either it was so early it was pointless to use it because ammo was nonexistent or it was so late that the benefits were negated by the more powerful enemies. Shooting a Nazi with the AK in two-round bursts requires at least six hits to the torso and sometimes three to the head. Being shot with the same weapon will have you dead in four, even wearing the improved body armour.

I was sneaking around with the arrow gun and still very bored with playing against the humans both because of the Oblivion city watch-style psychic powers they possessed and because I had to keep the thing pumped to the maximum to kill people in one or two shots to the head or torso. I only used the military-grade ammo towards the end when it became clear I had to and that there'd be no further chances to buy anything.

If they tweaked the firearms the game would be almost without flaws, but it feels very sloppy as it is. And I don't mean that in the "you're using salvaged/improvised weapons in a post-apocalyptic world" sense.

This is a depressing post if true - what the developer is doing here is compensating for a lack of A.I.

As you progress in the game, the enemies aren't getting any smarter, they're just becoming more resilient.

There's nothing that frustrates me more than going straight up to a person in a game and unloading a clip, only to watch the person... you know... not die. It becomes even more frustrating when they take you out with one shot. This happened to me A LOT in Stalker Clear Sky, and it's the reason I gave up on it.

I agree with having to empty a clip into something for it to die. Pretty dumb.

Otherwise, its a decent game. I'd give it a 6 out of 10.

I just got off the communist train and am about to head into the commie. vs. nazi warzone and I am still able to pick guys off with a single headshot or two body shots with the pneumatic gun or a headshot with the silenced revolver if they aren't wearing a helmet (if they are wearing a helmet, one shot to pop off the helmet, one to kill him to the head). A lot of guys wear armor too so I can believe that they would need more shots to the body, especially if I am using low caliber, dirty old rounds. I have no beefs with the gun mechanics yet. The challenge of the game is what makes this great. It's not like other FPS where I pretty much can just walk through the level with plenty of health and ammo.

You either can choose to be sneaky and slip through strategically or head them straight on and run out of ammo. At that train area for example. If you sit in the dark and wait for about 2 minutes, they will disembark the train and walk away. The game is all patience at certain parts - other parts are about not wasting ammo on enemies and just running for your life. That is actually a good strategy too and more realistic. On the surface I had 7 bullets left and I knew there were about 8 monsters out there waiting for me and I had no chance in a firefight since monsters do take a lot of rounds. I saw them sitting around outside but I knew where I needed to go and I just ran right past them before they had a chance to react and I jumped over some water and they couldn't follow me.

I think some of you need to play on easy if you are having difficulties with enemies taking a lot of bullets, I tried it a few times and it made the game more natural feeling. This is the best FPS I've played since Stalker. The problem is that I can't bring myself to play it for more than 30 minutes at a time since I get scared to death.

Last edited:
I just got off the communist train and am about to head into the commie. vs. nazi warzone and I am still able to pick guys off with a single headshot or two body shots with the pneumatic gun or a headshot with the silenced revolver if they aren't wearing a helmet (if they are wearing a helmet, one shot to pop off the helmet, one to kill him to the head). A lot of guys wear armor too so I can believe that they would need more shots to the body, especially if I am using low caliber, dirty old rounds. I have no beefs with the gun mechanics yet. The challenge of the game is what makes this great. It's not like other FPS where I pretty much can just walk through the level with plenty of health and ammo.

You either can choose to be sneaky and slip through strategically or head them straight on and run out of ammo. At that train area for example. If you sit in the dark and wait for about 2 minutes, they will disembark the train and walk away. The game is all patience at certain parts - other parts are about not wasting ammo on enemies and just running for your life. That is actually a good strategy too and more realistic. On the surface I had 7 bullets left and I knew there were about 8 monsters out there waiting for me and I had no chance in a firefight since monsters do take a lot of rounds. I saw them sitting around outside but I knew where I needed to go and I just ran right past them before they had a chance to react and I jumped over some water and they couldn't follow me.

I think some of you need to play on easy if you are having difficulties with enemies taking a lot of bullets, I tried it a few times and it made the game more natural feeling. This is the best FPS I've played since Stalker. The problem is that I can't bring myself to play it for more than 30 minutes at a time since I get scared to death.

This game is definately tense. I would say that this is the scariest game i've played since Condemned. Condemned broke my scary fuse and has left me unable to play scary games. If I try to play for more than 45 minutes straight, it just turns me into a nervous wreck.

My problem hasn't really been the lack of ammo, as it is the lack of filters. I guess I like to explore everything, and then I end up spending too many filters.

I am a run and gun type of person, and ended up sniping that commander on the podium while he was giving his troops a pep talk. That was actually pretty fun as the VQ rifle with scope and silencer is the best weapon i've come across so far.

This game is definately tense. I would say that this is the scariest game i've played since Condemned. Condemned broke my scary fuse and has left me unable to play scary games. If I try to play for more than 45 minutes straight, it just turns me into a nervous wreck.

My problem hasn't really been the lack of ammo, as it is the lack of filters. I guess I like to explore everything, and then I end up spending too many filters.

I am a run and gun type of person, and ended up sniping that commander on the podium while he was giving his troops a pep talk. That was actually pretty fun as the VQ rifle with scope and silencer is the best weapon i've come across so far.

Exploration is something I didn't expect in this game too, I thought it'd be a lot more linear but many levels have secret halls or branching paths and extra rooms where stuff can be found or the gameplay can change. There's a few tunnels I know that I didn't explore because I was too scared to leave my companion. I found a few extra caches by accident on the surface when was scared witless by a passing phantom and I ran and fell into a hole.

I'm stuck in a tunnel somewhere with a knife and I can not run fast enough.This is getting nerve racking.Should have remained hidden.This is a blast.

Last edited:
I seriously haven't been this nervous in a game since the original resident evil or re2.

I'm glad so many people are enjoying this game as I have. Can't really understand all the reviews about gun play being bad. It wasn't as smooth as mw2 or bad company 2 but those games are not realistic at all. Hopefully 4A games continues in this manner. I really hope for more of the same from this team.

This game would have been even better had they used more than 2 or 3 voice actors changing accents/pitch (wanker must be a really popular word down there). I'm pretty sure Steve Blum(sp?) voiced 75% of the NPCs alone, jeez. Another gripe I have is the movement. It just feels too detached and glidey. (same as stalker games, too fake feeling) Gun play wasn't very great, agreed. Other than that, nice visuals and an interesting enough story.

From everything I've read from you guys I basically get the idea that this thing plays just like the first Stalker did right out of the box pre patches and pre mods. It was good but it can get better. I think I'll wait a bit longer before finally buying this.

I'm glad so many people are enjoying this game as I have. Can't really understand all the reviews about gun play being bad. It wasn't as smooth as mw2 or bad company 2 but those games are not realistic at all. Hopefully 4A games continues in this manner. I really hope for more of the same from this team.

I didn't mean to make it sound like I thought the game was bad because of the gun mechanics. The game is phenomenal, but for something that has the sort of gritty survival horror feel to it the number of shots required to kill enemies doesn't add up with the rest of the game, to my tastes. If someone mods it so that you take more damage but deal the same it'll be even more exciting to me, with all the mutant swarms and so on.

From everything I've read from you guys I basically get the idea that this thing plays just like the first Stalker did right out of the box pre patches and pre mods. It was good but it can get better. I think I'll wait a bit longer before finally buying this.

Not really. It's got a similar aesthetic but it's all FPS, instead of FPS/RPG. There's no inventory or backpack or food or anything to keep on top of, it's just a case of scrounging ammo and gas mask filters and medkits from dead enemies the same as in any other game.

I didn't mean to make it sound like I thought the game was bad because of the gun mechanics. The game is phenomenal, but for something that has the sort of gritty survival horror feel to it the number of shots required to kill enemies doesn't add up with the rest of the game, to my tastes. If someone mods it so that you take more damage but deal the same it'll be even more exciting to me, with all the mutant swarms and so on.

What difficulty are you guys playing on? I think I'm on normal and I feel (so far, just met khan) that the amount of ammo to kill men is okay and the amount to kill monsters is about the same. Usually though I can take them down with one or two precisely placed revolver rounds.

I also think my guy takes a lot of punishment before dying too. Like to the point where I would've thought I should be dead, but was just on the brink.

Not really. It's got a similar aesthetic but it's all FPS, instead of FPS/RPG. There's no inventory or backpack or food or anything to keep on top of, it's just a case of scrounging ammo and gas mask filters and medkits from dead enemies the same as in any other game.

Would you recommend a purchase or wait?

I played on the hardest difficulty and there were only a few mutants towards the end that took more than a few headshots. I ended the game with like 300 military rounds. Using the Vss and silenced revolver everything went down quick. And even on that difficulty health packs and damage you took to die were more than fair.

I found this interesting note regarding the game:

"Oles Shishkovstov: First and foremost: 3D Stereo. The game was developed in 3D and for 3D. That's the only game developed that way as far as I know. Playing the game under DX11 in 3D Stereo is just mind-blowing, it's much, much more amazing than watching Avatar in IMAX."

Has anybody tried this on their Nvidia 3D setup yet?

The game looks AMAZING in 3d vision. I changed the settings to allow for convergence settings so that I could get more pop out effects and it is stunning.
As much as I love 3D, just yesterday I went to actually see Avatar in 3D at the movies.
I guess that I am so used to 3D now that I was not blown away by it as there are many things 3D vision do that look even more impressive but still it was quite an experience.
I liked the movie a lot and the 3D was VERY good. :D
The only thing with Metro is that with 3d vision it becomes quite hard to run smoothly some times.

Would you recommend a purchase or wait?

I'd buy it.
I think this is a really great game.
I am not sure why everybody is dissing the guns. You just need to be smart about what you do and think ahead.

I don't think I've had to plan so much in a game in a long while. I find myself checking ammo, looking at the route, thinking about shooting or sneaking,exploring at every chance.

Some parts can be frustrating, some soldiers difficult.....but if you just adjust your thinking a bit, you'll survive just fine.

The game looks great, plays well with EyeFinity, is very atmospheric, and down right fun.
It could be a bit more balenced, but a patch would easily fix that.

I highly recommend this game. Even my son, who is a hard core run and gun type, loves the game.

Definitely a buy recommendation from me!
You gotta support developers that support PC features like 3D vision, physx and it seems Eyefinity is working good too.
We get too many crappy console ports so when someone actually adds pc only stuff, I say it deserves our support.

What difficulty are you guys playing on? I think I'm on normal and I feel (so far, just met khan) that the amount of ammo to kill men is okay and the amount to kill monsters is about the same. Usually though I can take them down with one or two precisely placed revolver rounds.

I also think my guy takes a lot of punishment before dying too. Like to the point where I would've thought I should be dead, but was just on the brink.

Normal. I guess I was just playing the game like it was any other FPS where if you're halfway competent you can just steam through everything and everyone. You can still do that in this, it just takes longer than if you pick your fights and circumvent some enemies altogether.

Normal. I guess I was just playing the game like it was any other FPS where if you're halfway competent you can just steam through everything and everyone. You can still do that in this, it just takes longer than if you pick your fights and circumvent some enemies altogether.

I think that's how it was intended. Slow and thought out gameplay, not run and gun.

I'm playing at the hardest difficultly (I forget what the game calls it) and just met the Reds. I've had no issues with killing enemy humans so far. Aim for the head and use very short bursts per enemy. With 1-3 bullets they're down.

What annoys me is that some areas I cannot fully explore since I unknowingly get close to a cinematic trigger, which forces me to enter a new location. I really would have preferred a manual save system. Likely another of the developers' "we wish to preserve the atmosphere" train of thoughts.

^^^^My thoughts exactly. So many times I would see two ways to go and hesitate and later be angry that I didn't fully explore the other area before being forced into a loading scene.

I'm past black station and just realized that the knife has a right click ability /facepalm

I've been trying to slash people the whole time and taking 7 hits to kill them when all it takes is a few good stabs. -_________________________-

This message was sent between my close friends, my thoughts, though immature and unedited (plenty of debate before this)

"
Dave Parsons March 23 at 3:48am

Ummm

I dunno what to say but, perspective....

Just played metro for 4 hours.....

Nothing else to say but perfection

Master stroke

wonderful

Soooo.....

Everyone constantly praised stalker for it's edgy intense, atmospheric underground labs. But never understood it's open ended freedom, never understood that they needed to explore the open ended world to meet "made" stalkers and unfold the story.

Very few took the time.

I did.

That said, metro is sweetened condensed milk.

I've personally run into ten different inside jokes, and ten nods to where this game evolved from, in a matter of hours.

This "zone" is an honest to goodness first person recreation of stalker.

Spoon fed, purée, easily digestible.

Every single corner of the game, every single room, every single character has been painstakingly created in living breathing form.

They took twice the time it took to create an entire open ended world and applied it to a graphically superior, perfect rail shooter.

If I could explain, an anomaly, a shadow trick, a mutant, lighting, and the evolving of the everything fallout 3 tried to be.....this is it....without words.

This is nothing less then an amazing nod to every living stalker that looks forward and prepares for "the end".

Soooo

I'm only 4 hours in....

I could be wrong

"

-davepars7

You really like to defend DRM don't you?

Never mind my style and stay on topic, plz.....

You really like to defend DRM don't you?

Never mind my style and stay on topic, plz.....

I agree with your impression of the game.
The more I play it, the more I tend to think it is one of the best I've come across.
Even has some homage to HL2 in the part where you have to jump on the pipes.:eek:

Just plain fun to play and superbly constructed.

Someone please tell me there is a secret way past the reds and nazis in the "War" chapter. I played it for about 3 hours last night and there are just too many guys to blast through!! :confused:

Someone please tell me there is a secret way past the reds and nazis in the "War" chapter. I played it for about 3 hours last night and there are just too many guys to blast through!! :confused:

Spoiler alert.............

Are you talking about the part where you are dumped from under the rail car???

If so:
This whole part is about sneaking around in the dark, undetected,watch your watch LEDs.
sneak down the first tunnel and turn out the lamp.
procede to the stairs to the left of the rail car where the commasar is talking.
crouch and procede down the stairs, no one will notice you if you keep your headlamp off.

off to the left you will see a ramp leading to the next series of tunnels.
crouch in the dark behind the stack of sacks.
wait for a group of soldiers to go by.
there is a well lit platform where a soldier just shot a guy.(if you listen carefully, the guy the soldier is shooting tells about the path being marked by arrows, but it's really noisy from gun fire.)
creep up to this platform, and hug the wall tightly.
in front of you is a large pipe with a wooden platform up against it.
reach up and turn out the lamp at the front of said platform, take the ramp and get your butt down on top of the large pipe and follow it as far as it will take you.

You'll need to jump down to a lower level and across in front of you to a small platform.

Look in front of you now for white arrows pointing your way from there on.
You need to follow the pipes and desend to the ground, and then to a tunnel way to the left, follow the compass in your journal once you reach the ground, wear your gas mask.
scrounge guys for ammo.
follow the arrows in the tunnel.

Last edited:
Thanks, all I needed to read was the first line. I just wanted to know if I really needed to engage anyone in gun battle. Apparently not. Lol, I spent about 3 hours last night trying to pick everyone off. UGH what a pain.

the AI looks incredibly stupid in many of the gameplay vids I have seen. they even mention that in the gametrailers review.

If A.I. is that stupid,they make up for it by having creatures trample you to death.

the AI looks incredibly stupid in many of the gameplay vids I have seen. they even mention that in the gametrailers review.

The AI is pretty awesome for a stealth player. People just aren't playing the game properly IMO. If you run and gun, the AI is going to run around and take cover and pop out to take pot shots at you like in every other single player game. It's really no different than in most games. If you play stealth though, the mechanic is completely different as they have patrol patterns and are sensitive to light and sound.

A tip for those that want to play stealth and don't understand that you cannot run and gun in this game (well, you can but it's painful and not nearly as fun)

When are you in armory station, across from the ammo trader, there are some guys sitting in the corner. One guy sells body armor. The other guys sells stealth gear with nightvision goggles. Buy the stealth suit!

On the next mission, it's a whole lot more fun running around snuffing out all the lights while you silently kill everybody with throwing knifes and ball bearings. If you are someone who likes stealth games where you have to stay hidden in the dark, try not to make noises, etc. the stealth mechanic is awesome in this game. If you alert the guards, the alarms go off and all the electric lights go on so make sure you take out all the electric lights as well as the oil lamps. You can make it very far stalking in the darkness in this game. Use your nightvision goggles, it has a visibility indicator to show you how dark the area around you is. Your watch also has a light sensor. If it's off or green, you are hidden to enemies. Yellow and red and you are increasingly visible and detectable.

When you first get off the train, go backwards, there are two guys you can knife for more ammo. Once everybody gets off the train, you can knife the two guards patrolling the platform as well. At this point, if you really want to run and gun, you can go nuts and try to mow everyone down as there is a planted machine gun on the platform. If you've snuffed out all the lights, you can pick guys of the opposite platform as you sit in the dark.

Last edited:
The AI is pretty awesome for a stealth player. People just aren't playing the game properly IMO. If you run and gun, the AI is going to run around and take cover and pop out to take pot shots at you like in every other single player game. It's really no different than in most games. If you play stealth though, the mechanic is completely different as they have patrol patterns and are sensitive to light and sound.

A tip for those that want to play stealth and don't understand that you cannot run and gun in this game (well, you can but it's painful and not nearly as fun)

When are you in armory station, across from the ammo trader, there are some guys sitting in the corner. One guy sells body armor. The other guys sells stealth gear with nightvision goggles. Buy the stealth suit!

On the next mission, it's a whole lot more fun running around snuffing out all the lights while you silently kill everybody with throwing knifes and ball bearings. If you are someone who likes stealth games where you have to stay hidden in the dark, try not to make noises, etc. the stealth mechanic is awesome in this game. If you alert the guards, the alarms go off and all the electric lights go on so make sure you take out all the electric lights as well as the oil lamps. You can make it very far stalking in the darkness in this game. Use your nightvision goggles, it has a visibility indicator to show you how dark the area around you is. Your watch also has a light sensor. If it's off or green, you are hidden to enemies. Yellow and red and you are increasingly visible and detectable.
well I havent played the game yet but I have seen videos where the AI just stands there and doesnt respond properly or points their weapon and/or takes cover in the wrong direction. to be fair I have personally seen that happen in Crysis though too.

Thanks, all I needed to read was the first line. I just wanted to know if I really needed to engage anyone in gun battle. Apparently not. Lol, I spent about 3 hours last night trying to pick everyone off. UGH what a pain.

You can do what the other guy said but there is more ammo to pick up if you fight your way through the top through a combination of stealth and sniping, one trick to deal with the Commies is to stealth kill as many as you can until you come up behind the Commie side's barricade. There should be a generator here. You can hear it. Disable it and they cannot turn on the electric lights or alarms anymore. Then get their attention by killing one of them loudly. Turn out your light, turn on nightvision and rush back down the stairs and go back to the starting platform and man the machine gun and mow down the Commies on the other platform.

Then you can pick up all their ammo. You'll have to face the Nazis head on but if you have a scope weapon, you can snipe out their lights and pick off their soldiers with headshots. A perfectly placed headshot (if you don't hit the helmet) is a instant kill. Throwing knives to the body are instant kills too (unless it bounces off their gun which I've had happen before!). Snipe and stab your way through and use all that AK ammo you grabbed from the fallen Comies to kill the Nazis. Keep snuffing out as many lights as you can. When you get to the German side, go underground and disable their generator as well (or if you went on the alternative underground path you can reach the generator and turn that off first as well).

This is what I love about the game. None of these things (shooting out the lights, turning off the generator (or blowing them up), alternate routes, using your flashlight, using your nightvision, using your gas mask, using your watch, using your handheld generator, using your compass, etc.) are ever told to you in the game as things you need to do as objectives or anything. You know absolutely nothing. It's a blank slate. Every mission is a surprise and you have to make due with your own wits and smarts to find the best way for you to pass a mission.

I've been playing this game for a few hours. Just started the "War" Chapter. I just realized how to switch to dirty ammo. Been using my military grade all along. And let me tell you they are effect. On normal 2-3 shots to the chest and the guy is down.

I've also noticed a lot if, not all of the men (humans) you fight are wearing body armor. That will definitely increase the amount of dirty rounds needed to kill them.

I've been playing this game for a few hours. Just started the "War" Chapter. I just realized how to switch to dirty ammo. Been using my military grade all along. And let me tell you they are effect. On normal 2-3 shots to the chest and the guy is down.

I've also noticed a lot if, not all of the men (humans) you fight are wearing body armor. That will definitely increase the amount of dirty rounds needed to kill them.

How do you switch btw? I never figured that out myself and I was wasting my valuable currency! (military grade ammo is used for currency in this world - you can effectively shoot all your money away).

Back