Micro ATX question

OLBaID

Limp Gawd
Hello!

I have a I3 Ivy Bridge mini build for my WHS and a Fractal case So I have some experience with SFF in general and i do like them.

My question is I am thinking hard of Micro ATX gaming Rig. I have been looking over all the options and my real concern is that i want a MB/Case that can handle 780's in SLI (dual slot), a sound card and still use a closed loop CPU cooler.

It that possible? I am hoping there are MB's with 1x PCIE above the two 16x (2@8x with both filled) that could work.

Then finally a case to house it all with a CPU cooler, Suggestions?

I have been reading a lot but honestly have not dived into this particular forum here so don't beat me up if this is answered and i apologize in advance.

If you need 5 slots, I'd consider just going with ATX. By going with 5 slots instead of 7 you would only be saving ~40mm in one dimension, yet have to put up with a much narrower selection of both mobos and cases.

I'm also not seeing any MATX socket 1150 mobos with the x1/x16/?/x16 layout. Neither am I seeing anything with the x16/?/x1/x16 layout, which I think would work better, especially with blower cards.

If you can get your hands on one of these, DaBox 100, it would likely handle what you are trying to accomplish.

I've got two of them and love them for my SSF systems.
Dont run SLI, but knew someone who ran SLI 480's in them. which were MUCH hotter than more modern cards like 780's

Phenom M or Prodigy M has 5 slots but you probably have to go with a 120mm AIO.

As for matx motherboard has 4 slots as for the pci slots usually Gigabyte Sniper matx boards have that configuration for 5 slots.

Also you could consider rog itx board + dual gpu card (pray for GTX 790?)
or some Z87 mini itx + dual gpu card + external dac. (I'm wanting to try out Asus Xonar U7 but they aren't widely available in Canada just yet)

Gents,

Thanks for the quick responses and input. Always appreciated!

Like the case now just trying to see if my dream of SLI two slot cards and my sound card can be a reality (5 total slots).

I do love this Raven02 case so maybe full ATX is the best idea. Still looking and planning but again thanks to all 3 of you.

Back