Micro$oft strikes again

Tanis143

Gawd
Ok, last week I did all the updates to my XP Pro. Now when I download anything, instead of it going really fast then tapering off, it likes to start REALLY slow and slowly build up. Very reminiscant to win98. Any idea's on how to fix this so it goes back to downloading fast first?

Tanis143 said:
Ok, last week I did all the updates to my XP Pro. Now when I download anything, instead of it going really fast then tapering off, it likes to start REALLY slow and slowly build up. Very reminiscant to win98. Any idea's on how to fix this so it goes back to downloading fast first?

um....

So a week ago your computer downloaded fas, and now it downloads slow...

You really need to give a little more info...

Ok, last week I did an update to xp pro. Before the update I would start a download at the fastest speed to the server. For instance I would download something from download.com and it would start at 550-600 KB/sec and would taper off from there to around 400 KB/sec. Now whenever I start a download it does the opposite. I will start at 30 KB/sec and slowly creep up to around 250 KB/sec and usuall goes no higher. Very close to the way Win98 would act before doing the reg edits to unlock its net speed. I'm running winxp pro SP2. My system is in my sig. My net connection is 5meg/768k. I run through a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless 4 port router using a cat5 connection, not wireless. I've already bypassed my router, so I know its not that. And as I said, this happend after I did an update to windows, but did not pay attention to what was all updated so I can not uninstall whatever it did. Nor do I use the system restore feature on XP, I have it disabled.

Tanis143 said:
Microsoft strikes again
Fixed. Nothing screams ignorant noob than using a $ in the word Microsoft. It sounds to me like you should do the following 3 steps:

1) Make sure your NIC drivers are updated
2) Call your ISP and complain
3) Stop blaming Microsoft when it's not their fault.

... and this is MS's fault how? :confused:

Anyways, replace the NIC drivers, that's what changed that matters.

djnes said:
Fixed. Nothing screams ignorant noob than using a $ in the word Microsoft.

Nothing screams ignorant junkie like a guy getting all twisted over a nobody complaining about M$ on an open internet forum ( the $ stands for $oft in Micro$oft <<get it :p )

Thug Life Vol 1 said:
Nothing screams ignorant junkie more than some guy getting all twisted over some nobody complaining about M$ on an open internet forum<<<<( The $ stands for the $oft in Micro$oft<<<<get it :p )

Unfortunately, you're the one who doesn't seem to get it. Spend more time on the forums, and it will start to make sense.

I just wanted to say Micro$$$$$$oft to all those who have a pet peeve for it.

OP - like someone said - Check your firewall settings

Thug Life Vol 1 said:
Nothing screams ignorant junkie more than some guy getting all twisted over some nobody complaining about M$ on an open internet forum<<<<( The $ stands for the $oft in Micro$oft<<<<get it :p )
Nothing screams of ignorance like making fun of someone's occupation, while asking for help of them.

It's like going into a Ford dealership, owning a Ford car, getting warranty work done, and saying "Ford SUCKS!!! HAHAHAHA!!!" to the mechanics...

It's also like telling those Ford mechanics all the "Found On Road Dead" jokes like they have never heard them before.

Thug Life Vol 1 said:

Since we're on the topic of ignorance, maybe if you hate Windows so much you should do something other than whine and make yourself look like an idiot.

Here's the Linux forum.
http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=96

Here's the Mac forum.
http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=74

Get Linux, get a Mac, or stop acting like a spoiled brat.

Saying that the updates are changing your DL speeds is like saying when the cable guy came out to fix my cable my refrigerator stoped working.... talk to your ISP

S1nF1xx said:
Since we're on the topic of ignorance, maybe if you hate Windows so much you should do something other than whine and make yourself look like an idiot.

Here's the Linux forum.
http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=96

Here's the Mac forum.
http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=74

Get Linux, get a Mac, or stop acting like a spoiled brat.

What the fuck are you talkin about? I'm not the OP :confused: djnes called someone an ignorant noob and I called him an ignorant junkie. Where the fuck did you see me make any comments about M$.

Seriously bro, at least pay a little fucking attention

Since we're on the topic of ignorance

Yeah..since were on the topic :p

GreNME said:
Stop surfing internet pr0n.
stop making useless posts.

EDIT: and my bet is on the Windows Firewall TCP/IP settings filter, or, possibly, a throttling (sp?) mechanism on your new NIC driver

--ooh, do you need to update your router? mayhaps that your NIC is "too" updated for your outdated firmware on your router?

Thug Life Vol 1 said:
What the fuck are you talkin about? I'm not the OP :confused: djnes called someone an ignorant noob and I called him an ignorant junkie. Where the fuck did you see me make any comments about M$.

Seriously bro, at least pay a little fucking attention

Classic shit right there :p
You really might want to take a moment, take a deep breath, and then do a little reading and critical thinking. I know your rating says your a noob, so you've probably not been around here very long. The usage of the $ is ridiculous and as been discussed ad nauseum on here. Just because you missed those discussions, doesn't mean you have a right to come in here, firing from the hip, without any knowledge of what your talking about. Don't ASSume, without first reading.

You also might want to try some readin comprehension, because I didn't actually call anyone an ignorant noob. Also, please do note the number of posts agreeing with me.

djnes said:
You really might want to take a moment, take a deep breath, and then do a little reading and critical thinking. I know your rating says your a noob, so you've probably not been around here very long. The usage of the $ is ridiculous and as been discussed ad nauseum on here. Just because you missed those discussions, doesn't mean you have a right to come in here, firing from the hip, without any knowledge of what your talking about. Don't ASSume, without first reading.

You also might want to try some readin comprehension, because I didn't actually call anyone an ignorant noob. Also, please do note the number of posts agreeing with me.

ooh sorry ...you implied it :rolleyes:

Some guy uses a $ symbol instead of an s in Micro$oft and you feel the need to imply he's somehow ignorant :rolleyes: I think YOU need to take a breath.

****takes note of the people agreeing with djnes...as instructed**** .......Your too much, I was actualy getting upset but you are just too funny :p

Micro$$$$$$$oft

Thug Life Vol 1 said:
fud...fud...fud
So, your running Linux on your system....or are you using a Mac? Because I wouldn't want to think you, being so righteous, would be so hypocritical as to put down Microsoft, but use their products.

Thug Life Vol 1 is just trolling, his first post is telling. He hasn't offered one bit of advice.

Phoenix86 said:
Thug Life Vol 1 is just trolling, his first post is telling. He hasn't offered one bit of advice.
True.dat (I've been waiting to pull that one out of the "remember when" bag.)

Thug Life Vol 1 said:
Yeah..since were on the topic :p

That isn't ignorance for the record, it's more of not paying close enough attention to who threw the orginal hissy-fit. Truth be told, both of you are doing it so it doesn't matter much who I addressed anyway. The point remains valid.

If you want help from us, it's not a good idea to come in here slamming our profession. If you want to rant about how much Microsoft sucks, find a different forum. We get sick of hearing people piss and moan about how much Microsoft sucks, yet they ask us for help running their software anyway.

S1nF1xx said:
If you want help from us, it's not a good idea to come in here slamming our profession. If you want to rant about how much Microsoft sucks, find a different forum. We get sick of hearing people piss and moan about how much Microsoft sucks, yet they ask us for help running their software anyway.

Amen to that, and there is the reason why I made the comments about to foolish $ in the first place. That should save Thug Life Vol 1 a lot of time in searching and reading.

Microsoft has been working on major upgrades to their servers and has caused the downloads to be slower. This past week I had been downloading from WindowsUpdate at close to 100KBs while downloading from other sites at 500+. Today I downloaded 30MB+ updates from MS at 500KB strong so everything for me is fine this morning.

LoStMaTt said:
Microsoft has been working on major upgrades to their servers and has caused the downloads to be slower. This past week I had been downloading from WindowsUpdate at close to 100KBs while downloading from other sites at 500+. Today I downloaded 30MB+ updates from MS at 500KB strong so everything for me is fine this morning.
I think the OP is talking about "general" downloads, but that is a good point. Are we talking about downloads from the same source, or various sources?

Footer4321 said:
Saying that the updates are changing your DL speeds is like saying when the cable guy came out to fix my cable my refrigerator stoped working.... talk to your ISP

that happened once. Cable guy knocked out our power. kinda funny actually.

anyways i dont think this is a Microsoft problem. i think its an OE problem.

just my .02

Tanis143 said:
Ok, last week I did an update to xp pro. Before the update I would start a download at the fastest speed to the server. For instance I would download something from download.com and it would start at 550-600 KB/sec and would taper off from there to around 400 KB/sec. Now whenever I start a download it does the opposite. I will start at 30 KB/sec and slowly creep up to around 250 KB/sec and usuall goes no higher. Very close to the way Win98 would act before doing the reg edits to unlock its net speed. I'm running winxp pro SP2. My system is in my sig. My net connection is 5meg/768k. I run through a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless 4 port router using a cat5 connection, not wireless. I've already bypassed my router, so I know its not that. And as I said, this happend after I did an update to windows, but did not pay attention to what was all updated so I can not uninstall whatever it did. Nor do I use the system restore feature on XP, I have it disabled.
Have you tried downloading different items from different places with the same result?
I.E. - A huge game demo from www.gamershell.com ? They have multiple servers to choose from. A large program from somewhere else? www.snapfiles.com ?
If you get consistent results then I would suspect it may be something on your end. Try going directly from your cable connection to your NIC card, and bypass all of the other stuff.

Just some ideas.

On topic, I'd say it's pretty likely that you had a network driver from windows update somewhere in your downloads. I would look at your NIC driver and your router firmware, as a couple of people suggested alreayd.

I think we scared the OP away long ago.

Still, back everything up, because nothing fixes things like a good format :D

Oh, and let's start a holy war over Microsoft.

LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
I think we scared the OP away long ago.

Still, back everything up, because nothing fixes things like a good format :D

Oh, and let's start a holy war over Microsoft.
Bah, they have been here since '01, should have a think skin by now. ;) Besides, the last post was 12 hours ago, they have to sleep some time.

This is like cleaning up kitty litter.

I don't like the M$ crap, but it's not against the rules. If you abuse it for trolling purposes though, that's a different story, but don't make a bigger deal out of it than need be.

odoe said:
This is like cleaning up kitty litter.

I don't like the M$ crap, but it's not against the rules. If you abuse it for trolling purposes though, that's a different story, but don't make a bigger deal out of it than need be.
Yeah!

Listen to the $uper Moderator! :p

Ok, first and foremost:

The whole $ vs S arguement is stale guys, drop it. If my use of the $ offended you, I'm sorry, it was ment to be a joke in the fact that I'm frustrated. If you are still pissy about it, well, I feel more than sorry for you. Its a joke, get over it.

Second: I've checked my nic drivers, they are the same, i.e. have not been updated (considering its an Nvidia based NIC onboard my mobo I doubt MS would update it, but who knows, I checked anyways). And I have gone straight to my modem, same result. Now, as I happen to work for my ISP, I know that nothing on my ISP can reverse how my netspeed goes up or down. I've already checked that my modem has the proper image for my speed tier, and just for grins and giggles I updated the image. So, I know its not the ISP.

As I have also stated, this happend AFTER I did the updates, so something in the updates has changed my net settings in the registry. Oh, and yes I did try this from several websites. This same problem is happening on my wife's pc (WinXP Pro, AMD 2100+ stock, 512 meg of ram, 80 gig hard and Dlink NIC), also after I did the updates on her pc. I've gone through and did the normal stuff like cleaned out my folders (temp and temp internet) I've checked for spyware on both pc's (MS AntiSpyware Beta and AdAware, both with current updates) and did virus scans on both (wifes: McAfee Antivirus, mine: trend micro via net). I've tried both Firefox and Explorer, same thing. This is also affecting my overall net speed, dropping me from 4800-5000 to 3000-3200. And again, I've already checked everything from the ISP side, my node is not saturated (running at 32% cap on peak times) my signal levels are all in the good, and nothing between the modem and head end is causing any lag.

In short, its going to be a registry change made via last updates. The problem is I'm not as familar with the XP registry as I am with the Win98 registry *up til now I had no real need to pick it apart*

Aside from all the snide comments, I've not seen anything constructive besides the normal stuff (nic drivers, ISP issues, etc). Usually I only post a help request in here when I'm really stuck. Granted, I could do a full re-install of the O/S, but not only is that time consuming, when I do updates again the same thing will happen. Rather get this issue fixed as it is.

Ok, well I will say I missed one obvious thing. I went to speedguide.net and did the registry tweeks for winxp. This solved it. Now when I start a download it goes from the top end down, as it used to. So, for instance I went to download the Quake III demo (I usually use this to test, keeps a constant, or as much of a constant variable as I can). Earlier today it was starting at 52 KB/sec and worked its way slowly up to 180 KB/sec, now its starting at 800 KB/sec and worked its way down to about 250 KB/sec. So, the problem is now solved.

Tanis143 said:
Ok, well I will say I missed one obvious thing. I went to speedguide.net and did the registry tweeks for winxp. This solved it. Now when I start a download it goes from the top end down, as it used to. So, for instance I went to download the Quake III demo (I usually use this to test, keeps a constant, or as much of a constant variable as I can). Earlier today it was starting at 52 KB/sec and worked its way slowly up to 180 KB/sec, now its starting at 800 KB/sec and worked its way down to about 250 KB/sec. So, the problem is now solved.
OK, I'm going to take a stab here and say you just upgraded to SP2? If that's the case then there is a change in the way SP2 works with networking. Let me dig up a doc for you, basically P2P apps hate it, and that registry change "fixes" it by undoing the change in SP2. It should only affect downloads where you have multiple sources, not a single source download like from and FTP site. This is why it impacts P2P more than other apps.

edit:
Limited number of simultaneous incomplete outbound TCP connection attempts

Detailed description

The TCP/IP stack now limits the number of simultaneous incomplete outbound TCP connection attempts. After the limit has been reached, subsequent connection attempts are put in a queue and will be resolved at a fixed rate. Under normal operation, when applications are connecting to available hosts at valid IP addresses, no connection rate-limiting will occur. When it does occur, a new event, with ID 4226, appears in the system’s event log.

So check for ID 4226, and that'll confirm it.
Technet link.

How do you guys get 400kb/sec download speds and crap i barly can get 50 kb/sec :'(

Actually, no, I've been on SP2 since it came out. As I said, its just been this last week. But, no worries, I've got it fixed :)

When your download starts at the "fastest speed possible", that isn't really what it is doing. While you are selecting a destination to save at, the file is already downloading, so when you actually choose one, and click ok, it sort of "catches up" with itself.

O.T. I know, but I am pretty sure Thug Life Vol. 1 is J_L_Audio_User or whatever his name is, who got banned a little while ago for crapping in Cars section.

Back