Microcenter has a killer deal on the 2500K and 2600K right now

d1scg0lf3r

n00b
I just bought one of the 2500K Sandy Bridge processors from Newegg.com for $225 had to run to Microcenter yesterday and they have the 2600K for $275+tax and the 2500K for $175+tax. Man I wish I had checked here before I ordered because Newegg has a no refund policy on processors :(

I tried checking online btw and it only shows availability for store pickup and does not list their price or I would have linked it.

its only in store. not worth it in gas to go 3 + hours one way to pickup for me. if they would ship again i would have done them.

Now I gotta wonder if Fry's will match that price... no Microcenter anywhere near me but a Fry's just a few miles down the road here in Vegas. :D

They recently started a "price matching" thing, guess I need to find out the specifics - I'm sure there will be fine print someplace that would negate them matching that $175 on the 2500K, however.

Always the little things... dammit. :p

Edit:

Yep, the fine print:

frysfineprint.png

So, since I don't have a Microcenter locally and they won't ship since it's not an online price, well... that just sucks completely I suppose. CRAP!

Now I gotta wonder if Fry's will match that price... no Microcenter anywhere near me but a Fry's just a few miles down the road here in Vegas. :D

They recently started a "price matching" thing, guess I need to find out the specifics - I'm sure there will be fine print someplace that would negate them matching that $175 on the 2500K, however.

Always the little things... dammit. :p

Edit:

Yep, the fine print:

frysfineprint.png

So, since I don't have a Microcenter locally and they won't ship since it's not an online price, well... that just sucks completely I suppose. CRAP!

I have both a frys and microcenter within 5 miles our so. frys wouldnt match microcenters price on my i7 950 since it was below there cost. I ended up taking my business to microcenter instead.

Fry's here will pricematch the Microcenter 30 miles away. Tempted to pick some up since I don't have to pay taxes at either places. Microcenter usually have some competitive motherboard cpu bundle. It's almost cheaper to go there instead of ordering from newegg.

Why can't there be a Microcenter or Fry's here in Central Florida? Damn it.

I guess its good though as I would probably be there every single weekend buying something I probably don't need.

Fry's here will pricematch the Microcenter 30 miles away. Tempted to pick some up since I don't have to pay taxes at either places. Microcenter usually have some competitive motherboard cpu bundle. It's almost cheaper to go there instead of ordering from newegg.

I bought a Gigabyte P67-UD3 board, i5-2500k and 4 gigs of inexpensive crucial RAM from Microcenter and even after tax it came out $60 or $70 cheaper than the exact same parts from Newegg, not counting their shipping.

I would have bought my 2500k from MC, but they were acting retarded about stock quantities the day before SB was released. My location ended up having no 2600k and only a handful of 2500k's. Besides if I would had to go an hour out of my way to pick one up before catching a flight... not worth it to save $30 IMO

Why can't there be a Microcenter or Fry's here in Central Florida? Damn it.

I guess its good though as I would probably be there every single weekend buying something I probably don't need.

Should be CompUSAs there. They are decently stocked with items, though smaller, and less price competitive.

I picked up a i7-2600K for $279.99+tax, so 296.79 total. Still pondering if this is a good deal. Microcenter was 5 minute from my work so gas wasn't factor into the purchase equation.

and now i learn from another thread there is a bundle deal. I need to return this processor and get the bundle or keep the processor and get the bundle deal on the motherboard.

newegg is like $50 more even after sales tax at microcenter on their cpus !!

Last edited:
I'm going there after work at 5pm. I just have the sale receipt with me, the actual processor is at home. I want to show them the receipt so that i can get the ASUS p8p67 Pro for $159.99 ( at the bundle price) I really hope they can do this as I don't want another trip. Because i'm at work and it's only 5 minutes away. If the sale rep can't do it maybe i'll ask for their store manager to do it.

Search is your friend.

Microcenter sells these as loss leads to get traffic into the store so you hopefully buy something else.

They've been doing it for years.

Should be CompUSAs there. They are decently stocked with items, though smaller, and less price competitive.
Theres one not too far from me but their prices aren't anything spectacular. We need more competition here.

I have both a frys and microcenter within 5 miles our so. frys wouldnt match microcenters price on my i7 950 since it was below there cost. I ended up taking my business to microcenter instead.

In this case, Fry's would only price-match its competitors if that competitor's price is equal to or higher than the price that Fry's itself paid for to stock that CPU. I am guessing that Fry's would not price match Micro Center on that i7-950 because Fry's had paid about $250 to $260 for each i7-950 to get it in stock, and the Micro Center price for that CPU is below Fry's invoice cost for that CPU. As a result, if a price match request is rejected, the price would have reverted to regular price (in this case, nearly $300 plus tax) or whatever Fry's own advertised sale price is.

On the other hand, Micro Center charges loss-leader prices on CPUs and some motherboards - but then charges higher than most other retailers on PSUs.

Last edited:
I just bought one of the 2500K Sandy Bridge processors from Newegg.com for $225 had to run to Microcenter yesterday and they have the 2600K for $275+tax and the 2500K for $175+tax. Man I wish I had checked here before I ordered because Newegg has a no refund policy on processors :(

I tried checking online btw and it only shows availability for store pickup and does not list their price or I would have linked it.

The i5-2500K is a decided bargain at MC (cheaper than the i7-920 - leave it being faster at stock out of the mix) - that's why upgrading to i7 in LGA1366 (if you don't overclock) is pointless.

It's also why I'm not moaning too much over the Q9xxx going away.

Most folks order from the Egg to avoid the tax bite.

As more states (such as Maryland and Virginia) increase their taxes, it increases pressures on brick-and-mortar businesses in those states. Fortunately, MicroCenter (locations in both states, and equidistant from me) has avoided falling into the Egg Beater. (MC and the Egg have largely the same prices on motherboards, and MC has better pricing on CPUs; the CPU pricing is so much better that I can jump at least one motherboard class with the savings, even with the tax bite. If I choose to stay put on the motherboard, I can always use the savings for other things.)

Most folks order from the Egg to avoid the tax bite.

Sometimes shipping costs make it an almost wash (depending on weight).

Luckily, I live in downtown Denver and there is a Microcenter literally 5 minutes away. A lot of times I can pick up there loss lead deals and opened merchandise and save hundreds over NewEgg (which is already cheap in itself).

Mmm... there is one in Denver?
I live in CT, but telecomute/work in out nationwide company and I work with our Denver. Know some people there... wonder if I could ask them to purchase one for me and have them ship it to me.

Mmm... there is one in Denver?
I live in CT, but telecomute/work in out nationwide company and I work with our Denver. Know some people there... wonder if I could ask them to purchase one for me and have them ship it to me.

8000 East Quincy Avenue
Denver, CO 80237
(303) 302-8500

I picked up a i7-2600K for $279.99+tax, so 296.79 total. Still pondering if this is a good deal. Microcenter was 5 minute from my work so gas wasn't factor into the purchase equation.

It's not much cheaper than Newegg after taxes. I wouldn't be surprised if MC drops the price on the 2600K another $30 in the coming weeks. The Core i7 950 was $199 , but it's been $229 since SB has been available, probably to make SB mor attractive.

It's not much cheaper than Newegg after taxes. I wouldn't be surprised if MC drops the price on the 2600K another $30 in the coming weeks. The Core i7 950 was $199 , but it's been $229 since SB has been available, probably to make SB mor attractive.

It need not be MUCH cheaper than the Egg - it just needs to be cheaper at all.
Also, there is the advantage of not having to wait for the shipper (even if it's the Fed-up Ex-Girlfriend) and get started on your build right away.

Back