Microcenter: i7-950 $200 (formerly $280) + local tax

I never get why MC advertises the CPUs at full price then puts the in store discount in tiny print under the deal. Most people looking at the ads never even realize you can get it for 200. Or the great deals they have on lots of CPUs.

I have one close to where I work,

nenenenenenene :p

Just haven't gone there once haha :), will try in the future for my next system.

I never get why MC advertises the CPUs at full price then puts the in store discount in tiny print under the deal. Most people looking at the ads never even realize you can get it for 200. Or the great deals they have on lots of CPUs.
That's probably so that you cannot price match it at other stores, thus keeping this pricing only at MC.

Two things, one this has been going for $200 for a while now, this is a repost.

Two, the 950s suck compaired to 920s. Intel is just trying to clear stock by marking them with a higher number, even though quality seems to have went down. The 920s clocked way higher. My friend just tried this "deal" and it took 1.4v+ to get 4.2 stable without HTT on, and would not be stable at all over 4 with HTT on. He sold it on ebay and grabbed a W3520.

I wouldnt pay $150 for one of these. 920 C0s clock better.

...wait... WHAT?

If Im going to shell out the money for another i7 build, Im not going to spend $220 on a chip that cant do 4.2HT. Id rather spend $250 on ebay for a good batch 920/w3520 that will do 4.4HT.

Because the experience is so much different at 4.4 than 4.2...4.2 is almost like trying to use an Atom...:rolleyes:

Still a great deal overall and for the average user Cecil, this is a great CPU. I have mine at 4GHz with only 1.25 volts needed. I know you can get some 920 and 930 chips there, but they are no longer being offered at this price.

Two things, one this has been going for $200 for a while now, this is a repost.

Two, the 950s suck compaired to 920s. Intel is just trying to clear stock by marking them with a higher number, even though quality seems to have went down. The 920s clocked way higher. My friend just tried this "deal" and it took 1.4v+ to get 4.2 stable without HTT on, and would not be stable at all over 4 with HTT on. He sold it on ebay and grabbed a W3520.

I wouldnt pay $150 for one of these. 920 C0s clock better.

not true at all - the 950's clock higher and use far less voltage.

even with tax at an insane 9.75% in california, it cmes out to be $219 which is still damn good deal

I recently paid almost $300 for mine. It's an awesome proc. I haven't even tested the OC waters yet.

not true at all - the 950's clock higher and use far less voltage.

If you look around, just about everyone is complaining about them since they dont clock nearly as well as 920s.

had a family member pick one up at the NJ store and send it out to me

If you look around, just about everyone is complaining about them since they dont clock nearly as well as 920s.

because most people don't know how to over clock a 930 or 950 - first thing you need to determine is how low the voltage you can run it on stock rather than the usual "lets see how much I can bump up the qpi."

check out legit reviewers of it and you'll see what it can actually do - and I have one running 4.0 at 1.2 volts and I can push it much higher but I prefer it to be cooler.

because most people don't know how to over clock a 930 or 950 - first thing you need to determine is how low the voltage you can run it on stock rather than the usual "lets see how much I can bump up the qpi."

check out legit reviewers of it and you'll see what it can actually do - and I have one running 4.0 at 1.2 volts and I can push it much higher but I prefer it to be cooler.

I just reread this post, and I still am confused...You say that you need to determine how low you can run the Vcore @ stock speeds, and that will determine what you're o/c is....

What I am getting out this post is that you are saying that the 950s are sensitive to high voltage increases, and that is what is actually limiting their o/c ability?:confused:

If Im going to shell out the money for another i7 build, Im not going to spend $220 on a chip that cant do 4.2HT. Id rather spend $250 on ebay for a good batch 920/w3520 that will do 4.4HT.
There is like near zero real world difference between a 4.4Ghz and 4.2 Ghz i7 for almost anything. You're already faster than the fastest stock clocked chips at that point, you really gonna throw that big of a hissy cow (NOT FOR $150 L0L0L0L0L) over that?

Hell I like AMD better right now for value even I have to admit this is a great deal.

This makes no sence at all, and lol at looking at a review site for OCing potential.
There is like near zero real world difference between a 4.4Ghz and 4.2 Ghz i7 for almost anything. You're already faster than the fastest stock clocked chips at that point, you really gonna throw that big of a hissy cow (NOT FOR $150 L0L0L0L0L) over that?

Hell I like AMD better right now for value even I have to admit this is a great deal.

Ive had 7 builds with i7, I personally wont go back to it again unless its a 3849 batch 920/w3520. They have no trouble running 4.4HT daily stable around 1.3v. Also, the only real point to an i7 build is benchmarking, other wise you get more daily bang for buck from AMD or 1156.

The average 920 will do 4.2HT, the average 950 has trouble doing 4HT. Point is, find a used 920 if you want more bang for your buck. Very easy to find them cheaper then $220.

Also, the only real point to an i7 build is benchmarking, other wise you get more daily bang for buck from AMD or 1156.

You can grab X58 boards for around $170 nowadays (and I don't mean low budget vendors like ASrock, Gigabyte has some nice value models now too like GA-X58-USB3). That and with $200 i7-9x0 chips the 1366 platform has a good bit of price/performance going for it, especially since you get alot more PCI-E lanes compared to 1156 and some of the AMD chipsets.

One would be CRAZY to buy a 1366/1156 MB/cpu now when Sandy bridge CPU/MB's are coming in out in just a few weeks. Heck even P67 MB's are available around the world!

This makes no sence at all, and lol at looking at a review site for OCing potential.

Ive had 7 builds with i7, I personally wont go back to it again unless its a 3849 batch 920/w3520. They have no trouble running 4.4HT daily stable around 1.3v. Also, the only real point to an i7 build is benchmarking, other wise you get more daily bang for buck from AMD or 1156.

The average 920 will do 4.2HT, the average 950 has trouble doing 4HT. Point is, find a used 920 if you want more bang for your buck. Very easy to find them cheaper then $220.

lol srsly if you think the average 920 runs 4.2 ht on - on air...then i have a bridge in brooklyn I would like to sell you -

now - the 930 and 950 can run at stock, at a much lower voltage then what stock is..finding if you can do that, completley stable then your oc is going to, most likely use less voltage to hit a sweet spot. If I can spend 199 on a 950 that can run 4.2 @1.2 volts and not hit 80-90 running linx for hours..on air..then yah...my 920 hit 4.2 but get far to close to 90c for me in a short run on linx and that is wtih a corsair h50 with two fans..running 1.39.

a coworker of mine purchased the i970 I think for about 700 dollars at newegg
I offered to drive him to mc for the i920 for 200+tax he said no

people these days...................

lol srsly if you think the average 920 runs 4.2 ht on - on air...then i have a bridge in brooklyn I would like to sell you -

now - the 930 and 950 can run at stock, at a much lower voltage then what stock is..finding if you can do that, completley stable then your oc is going to, most likely use less voltage to hit a sweet spot. If I can spend 199 on a 950 that can run 4.2 @1.2 volts and not hit 80-90 running linx for hours..on air..then yah...my 920 hit 4.2 but get far to close to 90c for me in a short run on linx and that is wtih a corsair h50 with two fans..running 1.39.

Finding the lowest voltage at stock not only does nothing to tell you of its max OC, its just a flat out waste of time unless you are trying to lower the over all power usage and plan to leave it at stock. If you 920 needs almost 1.4v then its either a C0/C1 or something isnt set right.

Seriously, look around at what people are getting with the 950s. Most are barely able to get 3.8 with theirs. Intel is getting ready to release whole new platforms, and had a lot of stock left. Remember that the 920s/930/950s are all the same CPUs just different stock multipliers. They took their left over stock, rebranded it as 950, and released it at the going rate of the 930s to get them sold. Average Joe thinks bigger number is better.

Also, 1366 costs $500 for half decent mobo/ram and CPU. 1156 and AM3 can be had for $350, which will perform within 95% during daily usage. 1366 is really only a benching platform, or for someone wanting to run 3 video cards or more. Back when I was in to benching, I went through many i7 builds to find the best combo, and 3845-3849 batch 920s/w3520s or 3851 W3540s were always best.

sorry but now you're not making sense - if they are all the same cpu then the higher grade 930/950 should hit the same oc...I have all three btw a 920 a 930 and a 950 - and by far the easiet oc was my 950 - runs the coolest and yah if I pushed it and wanted to run a higher voltage I could run 4.4 maybe even 4.5 - but I don't as my sweet spot betweenddr 1600 and the cpu is 4.2 and running a lot cooler than either the 920 or 930.

If you want an upper end 1154 you need to drop 300$ but with this 200$ deal you can get a 1366 for about the same price. We are not talking about just getting the best value chip but for a given price what is the performance you can get. I have bought 2 i7 1366 systems specifically because of this deal. One of them I paired with a refurbished egva board for around 70$. I was unable to build a comparable 1154 for that price.

Back