Micron just won the SSD speed Crown!

As with all solid state stuff, when it's as fast as 5,000 hard drives, it's a stinking bargain.

Drop the speed a little but the price by 95% and now we're talking!!!

I only need a little over 100GB for my primary so....

350/3= 116GB so $5,700/3=$1,900 for my next primary drive.

Sweet!!!

Wait, it won the "Consumer SSD" speed crown, correct?

So this is similar to OCZ Revodrive in that it's an SSD on a PCI-Express card.

Actually I think these are PCI-E 8x bus and these numbers basically say they saturated the 8x bus... pretty extreme. I also wonder how much cache it has. If the backside has the same chips as the front side it could be up to 1.5GB!

Amazing. Most SMB companies I've worked for could run the entire datacenter off of one of these.

Flash is awesome in the enterprise. I've got a bunch of it on one of my EMC arrays. Basically 1 RAID5 pack will out-IOPS 4-5 15-disk DAE shelves of 15K SAS disk. They're expensive disks - anywhere from $6K-$8K/ea for the small ones, but how much do 5 full shelves cost + power and real-estate?!?!

Flash is actually dirt cheap compared to spinning disk - especially when used with auto-tiering / smart cache technology. Awesome times in the Enterprise.

A popular case-study is a leading company "x" had a core database that demanded the IOPS of over 100 15K SAS disks and still hit the ceiling. They replaced those disks will 8 flash disks and that database performs it's functions in half the time with tons of headroom to spare.

The cool thing is we're just on the 2nd or 3rd widley available generation of Enterprise flash - can't wait to see what SANs are going to look like in 10 years.

Flash is awesome in the enterprise. I've got a bunch of it on one of my EMC arrays. Basically 1 RAID5 pack will out-IOPS 4-5 15-disk DAE shelves of 15K SAS disk. They're expensive disks - anywhere from $6K-$8K/ea for the small ones, but how much do 5 full shelves cost + power and real-estate?!?!

Flash is actually dirt cheap compared to spinning disk - especially when used with auto-tiering / smart cache technology. Awesome times in the Enterprise.

A popular case-study is a leading company "x" had a core database that demanded the IOPS of over 100 15K SAS disks and still hit the ceiling. They replaced those disks will 8 flash disks and that database performs it's functions in half the time with tons of headroom to spare.

The cool thing is we're just on the 2nd or 3rd widley available generation of Enterprise flash - can't wait to see what SANs are going to look like in 10 years.

Yes, I deal with those drives on a daily basis.. STEC ZeusIOPS... but that's in a different category anyways :)

Back