Microphone, Teamspeak, Windows Vista: The Perfect Storm

deathBOB

[H]ard|Gawd
So I installed Vista (Business ed.) the other day. Originally my Audigy worked ok with the latest XP drivers. Today it started to sound like crap (lots of low end distortion/crackling). Not a big deal, I was surprised when it worked at all. So I switch over to onboard (Realtek) and everything is fine until I plug in my mic and try to use it with TS. I have to turn it way up just to hear anything and it has tons of background noise even though my room is quiet.

1) Is this a inherent problem with onboard sound?

2) Is this a Vista problem?

3) Did installing Teamspeak today screw up my Audigy? I don't think they are related, but that's just about the only thing I changed today.

So I installed Vista (Business ed.) the other day. Originally my Audigy worked ok with the latest XP drivers. Today it started to sound like crap (lots of low end distortion/crackling). Not a big deal, I was surprised when it worked at all. So I switch over to onboard (Realtek) and everything is fine until I plug in my mic and try to use it with TS. I have to turn it way up just to hear anything and it has tons of background noise even though my room is quiet.

1) Is this a inherent problem with onboard sound?

2) Is this a Vista problem?

3) Did installing Teamspeak today screw up my Audigy? I don't think they are related, but that's just about the only thing I changed today.

Again I say,

SP1 will be released at the end of February.

Again I say,

SP1 will be released at the end of February.

Hooray, that helps me right here and now. I was hoping that someone had some experience with setting up mics in Vista.

I forgot to mention: the mic itself sounds great with XP.

Sadly I think it's safe to say a good chunk of us are having problems/lack of support with audio in vista. I myself can't use my card now because I'm waiting on the drivers to be released, and now I hearing about these audio problems that vista brings about..makes me kick myself in the ass for buying the OS too early.

You can fix the mic in the Reatek HD control panel. Go to the "mic" settings section (a tab at the top. One is Speakers and one is Mic). There are two sliders that control volume for the Mic. Mute the one labeled "playback". This will get rid of the feedback/noise.

Shawn

Sadly I think it's safe to say a good chunk of us are having problems/lack of support with audio in vista. I myself can't use my card now because I'm waiting on the drivers to be released, and now I hearing about these audio problems that vista brings about..makes me kick myself in the ass for buying the OS too early.
Are you using Vista 64? For Vista 64 I can only get a stereo sound by using the latest b-Enspirer driver but I need to let Vista search the driver in the folder, installing the driver myself won't work. Auzentech said that they will release their Vista driver this week, hopefully they do. I've also tried the Beta driver from C-Media but it doesn't work with my Vista 64, if you wanna try it, the link is in the first post of my X-Meridian thread.

Are you using Vista 64? For Vista 64 I can only get a stereo sound by using the latest b-Enspirer driver but I need to let Vista search the driver in the folder, installing the driver myself won't work. Auzentech said that they will release their Vista driver this week, hopefully they do. I've also tried the Beta driver from C-Media but it doesn't work with my Vista 64, if you wanna try it, the link is in the first post of my X-Meridian thread.

Yep, got 64bit version up, wont go back to 32 ever again lol. I'll give that beta driver a shot, see if it works. Thank you for the heads up.

You can fix the mic in the Reatek HD control panel. Go to the "mic" settings section (a tab at the top. One is Speakers and one is Mic). There are two sliders that control volume for the Mic. Mute the one labeled "playback". This will get rid of the feedback/noise.

Shawn

I can't find a control panel other than the Windows sounds devices control panel.

Back