Microsoft Answers OEM Questions.

good link, thanks OP. Feeling more confident about OEM + hardware changes (the note about being able to do a fresh install OR an upgrade was especially interesting...)

good link, thanks OP. Feeling more confident about OEM + hardware changes (the note about being able to do a fresh install OR an upgrade was especially interesting...)
Note that's only with OEM FULL versions and not an upgrade version. Ryans test of an OEM disc put my mind to rest, as to what kind of problems we will have after a major upgrade. Basically it's business as usual with the call in activation.

Does Vista OEM install pretty much the same way as XP for the standard users did? About the only "custom" aspect of any install I have done is using F6 to install SATA drivers. Could I install Vista without extra directions or should I start to educate myself about new functions etc?

Note that's only with OEM FULL versions and not an upgrade version. Ryans test of an OEM disc put my mind to rest, as to what kind of problems we will have after a major upgrade. Basically it's business as usual with the call in activation.

Ah...if that's true, thanks for clearing that up.

So the OEM is essentially identical to the retail version except there's no manual or fancy box included? If so, this seems ideal.

well i plan on buying a new comp and replacing everything but the hard drive. should i wait till i upgrade before installing vista because of the restrictions?

Does Vista OEM install pretty much the same way as XP for the standard users did? About the only "custom" aspect of any install I have done is using F6 to install SATA drivers. Could I install Vista without extra directions or should I start to educate myself about new functions etc?
Actually Vista installs are easier than XP was, There's only 2 or three things to do, and the rest is done by Vista. I don't known about RTM yet, but beta had a few black screens that would be up there for a bit, so don't get impatient and just let Vista do it's job. I'd recommend a Cutom install, thats a full install with the old stuff in a seperate folder.Be adsvised that most older software doesn't play nice with Vista, and you should download Vista upgrade advisor from www.microsoft.com/vista and run that first.AV software should be uninstalled also, before the new install.:D

This is good news, thanks bhag. It's good to know the "10 vote" hardware hash criteria.

HB

Actually Vista installs are easier than XP was, There's only 2 or three things to do, and the rest is done by Vista. I don't known about RTM yet, but beta had a few black screens that would be up there for a bit, so don't get impatient and just let Vista do it's job. I'd recommend a Cutom install, thats a full install with the old stuff in a seperate folder.Be adsvised that most older software doesn't play nice with Vista, and you should download Vista upgrade advisor from www.microsoft.com/vista and run that first.AV software should be uninstalled also, before the new install.:D

Thanks you. I ran the advisor last month and was cleared for take-off. Think I'll do a dual boot with Vista 64.

Back