Microsoft Excel Logic Operators

synergyo1

2[H]4U
Trying to figure out if there is an easy way to do this. I want to design a worksheet where the user selects three parameters from three different lists. From those three selections, a value results.

So for example, the user needs to select hardware type, hardware dimensions, and hardware weight. Hardware type being tubing, casing, drill pipe, open hole, etc. Hardware dimensions is just a long list of outer diameters of the hardware type. The thing with hardware dimensions is each of the hardware types have a different list of outer dimensions. So I would like to have something where the user selects a hardware type from the drop down menu, which then generates the appropiate dimensions drop down menu. Similar deal with the hardware weight, where each hardware type AND hardware dimension has a different list of hardware weight.

Based on the three selections, a value results. Which in the case of the example would be the volumetric capacity of the hardware.

I was thinking of using nested IF, THEN, AND, OR statements, but I am dealing with so much data. Also I've read that nesting is limited to 7.

Does anyone have any ideas on approaching this? I'm just looking for a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
Have you tried using INDIRECT functions? I've been retired for over a year and I'm a little rusty..but it worked on very large databases with multiple drop downs...

Have you considered trying this with Access? I am also rusty with it but from what I remember what you are seeking is it's specialty.

Back