Microsoft, Google, Yahoo Settle Gambling Claims

HardOCP News

[H] News
You would think that, of all companies, these three would have known better than to take money from illegal internet gambling operations. The bulk of the money paid in fines will go to public service announcements.

The companies were accused of receiving money from online gambling businesses to advertise illegal betting from 1997 through 2007. As part of the settlement, the companies will pay cash to the U.S. government and provide millions of dollars worth of public service advertisements informing young adults and teenagers that Internet gambling is illegal.

But wait a minute here, its the intranet and everything is possible here...we dont have to abide by any laws, we're not accountable for anything, cause..cause, umm... :rolleyes:

I'm not quite up on my internet gambling law knowledge, but doesn't this count as ex-post-facto? Exactly when was online gambling done on US soil made illegal?

Roughly two years ago. I'm not sure the specifics of the law, but it makes it illegal for financial instututions in the USA to make transactions to online betting sites. But if you were to get a Canadian bank account for example, there really isn't a good way they could stop you.

I'm not quite up on my internet gambling law knowledge, but doesn't this count as ex-post-facto? Exactly when was online gambling done on US soil made illegal?

Yeah my friend (we're in the UK) got laid off about a year and a bit ago.
He was a tester for online poker for a site destined for the US until they shut up ops due to the law change.

I refuse to play him at Poker now, just Pokemon

Roughly two years ago. I'm not sure the specifics of the law, but it makes it illegal for financial instututions in the USA to make transactions to online betting sites. But if you were to get a Canadian bank account for example, there really isn't a good way they could stop you.
So is this really even covered under the law? It seems like the government is bullying the companies into paying up, especially if they're muck-raking all the way back to 1997. Ex-post facto it is!

Back