Microsoft: No More Pick-and-Choose Patching

If I had Windows 10, I'd dislike using PCs now.
Lucky I stuck with Windows 7, I saw crap like this coming.
Microsoft have become the pits.

Turn off windows update and grab only the needed or useful patches from elsewhere.
Not that there will be anything useful, only invasion.

I find it odd that no matter what Microsoft does, the same set of things happens.

1. People complain about Microsoft's new OS.
2. People stay on OS -1 and OS -2 for ages.
3. People give up and install Microsoft's new OS, generally 2 days before the next one comes out.

Almost no one ever switches to Mac or Linux... Or BSD. Microsoft is going to keep doing things like this if they think they can get away with it. I was hoping Google would release a workable version of Android as a desktop OS at some point, they still might, but I"m not sure that people will use it. I have hope for React OS too, but I'm not sure that the scope of the project is possible given the current level of funding and participation. It seems like although people claim they don't like Windows, they just keep on using it.

I find it odd that no matter what Microsoft does, the same set of things happens.

3. People give up and install Microsoft's new OS, generally 2 days before the next one comes out.

Almost no one ever switches to Mac or Linux... Or BSD. Microsoft is going to keep doing things like this if they think they can get away with it. I was hoping Google would release a workable version of Android as a desktop OS at some point, they still might, but I"m not sure that people will use it. I have hope for React OS too, but I'm not sure that the scope of the project is possible given the current level of funding and participation. It seems like although people claim they don't like Windows, they just keep on using it.
You might have missed this
What would get you to switch to linux from windows?

SUNUVA BITCH.
BTW, good old '2664 is back this month to add Windows 10-style spying to 7/8.1.
Thanks for the heads up on dat, homes. I see the description has been changed too. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2952664
"This update performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program. The diagnostics evaluate compatibility on the Windows ecosystem and help Microsoft to ensure application and device compatibility for all updates to Windows. There is no GWX or upgrade functionality contained in this update." Yeah, I'm sure it contains all kinds of helpful goodies. How nice of Microsoft to be looking out for us and our systems.

KB2952664 was already on the list I've been keeping for a couple years now of Windows Updates to avoid downloading, but I didn't expect it to come back. I thought we were done with Updates resurfacing after the Win10 free upgrade period was over, but I guess not. Shiznit always comes back. Gotta be vigilant about that sorta shit. Always keep your eyes open.

Most of the time I wait at least a week or two before getting new Windows Updates to see if Microsoft fucked anything up. I always pick and choose which individual updates to get (yes, I manually look each one up). Looks like this will be getting harder and harder to do going forward.

People complain that package managers on Linux aren't that much different, but I still trust good ol' pacman on Arch Linux, at least way the fuck more than I trust Microsoft with their Windows Updates.

So does this apply to all supported versions of windows or only 10?

I'm on the same opinion that many on here share. For home use, mandatory roll-up should definitely be enforced. For Pro and up, we should be responsible for picking and choosing the updates. Unfortunately, unless that option was taken out of our hands.

I'm going to be cautiously optimistic and hope that Microsoft puts a little more effort into not bricking systems over this gamble. But when this is fully implemented, I'm hoping that a new spin-up of a 7 box will be dramatically quicker than the 3 days I just took to nuke 10 and go back to 7.

No big deal. If an update breaks your computer I am sure you have others to use. :) For business, you should be able to choose.

Remember, Its for the greater good!

I like how for the last few months, it takes hours to check for and install updates for my Win 7 box. The whole update process just keeps getting worse.

I like how for the last few months, it takes hours to check for and install updates for my Win 7 box. The whole update process just keeps getting worse.
MS is no way doing that so you will get tired of 7 and switch to a shiny new 10 OS with fast updates automatically done for you! Or are they?!

The news just getting better. Now they'll introduce webcam and microphone surveillance in a nicely packaged anniversary update, while simultaneously disabling your system if you don't have a webcam or it's covered.
And some people will tell you why that's a good thing and you should just fall in line!

I did a fresh install with Win 8.1 on a laptop. Took over 8 hours just to check for updates. Not install, just check. Then after the installs, reboot, another 8+ hours to check again, cause you know more updates come after other updates are installed.

I did a fresh install with Win 8.1 on a laptop. Took over 8 hours just to check for updates. Not install, just check. Then after the installs, reboot, another 8+ hours to check again, cause you know more updates come after other updates are installed.
I swear they do it on purpose so you have to upgrade to windows 10.

I swear they do it on purpose so you have to upgrade to windows 10.

They ARE doing it on purpose. They just facilitate majority of servers to support windows 10 updates and maybe leave 1 or 2 servers to update for the older OS'es. Since a lot of people are on older OSes, thus servers are hammered.

Well, I'm glad I started looking into alternatives. I've now got FreeBSD on my (ancient) laptop, I dual boot my main desktop, Win 8.1 for games and Mint Linux for everything else. The wifey's machines will be migrated to linux in the next few weeks.

The only reason this is feasible for me is that I consciously started migrating to cross platform applications for almost all of my normal computing needs when I first migrated to Windows 7 (jEdit, Firefox, Thunderbird, VLC, Octave, g++, etc). The only issue I currently have is that there isn't a FreeBSD printer driver for my Brother multifunction printer (there is one for Linux though), but since I've only put FreeBSD on my laptop it's not a big issue.
There is a linux compatibility layer in FreeBSD. I wonder if that might work? Another option (does your brother support postscript?) is just using postscript.

Neat. I had not heard of people using VGAPassthrough for gaming purposes. Will have to experiment with the integrated intel video on my motherboard paired with my Nvidia GTX card. Barring that working, I can throw in a low end pci express card.

Edit: after some reading I discovered my Intel -K cpu doesn't support the VT-d feature for required for VGAPassthrough :(

This is the reason I buy non-k cpus.....

I love it when a 30MB .NET update takes longer to install than the operating system itself.

Do they really mean business users? Because I can see that going over like a lead brick with many many IT departments. Myself, I have had a number of patches and updates conflict with something or even crash a system, had to fix a friends computer just last week that an update (on windows 10), had some issue and was causing it to have 100% disk usage just sitting idle.

I didn't much like W10 to start with, but I gave it a chance, however the more and more I hear about what they are doing is really worrying me, big time if that means I can't control this on business or pro licenses.

Eventually business should learn from the Army and do what they do.

Mod the OS to fit their needs.

That didn't happen with Windows 7. People praised it from the start.

People criticized Vista because the public wasn't tech-savvy, and didn't want to have to upgrade their XP machines. But it was a good OS. People criticized Windows 8 because it took away the start menu, and didn't offer anything of substance. Sounds fair. People criticize Windows 10 because it works against the user, takes away control, is invasive, is buggy, and more. Again, sounds pretty appropriate.
I know it's not the consensus view in this forum, but I was an early adopter of Windows XP and found it a breath of fresh air. Windows 98 would blue screen on me, it was just a matter of time. It might take a few days of use, but it would always happen. It didn't on Windows XP. Plus while not perfect, it had a lot more game compatibility options than Win 2k did, making it a more viable option for me.

Just trying to chalk this up to people complaining about a new OS, then getting used to it doesn't recognize what a fundamental shift Windows 10 is in how the OS is updated and some user control has been lost. There hasn't been a precedent like this in any other version of Windows.

IMHO, this has more upsides than it has downsides.

I'd support nuking anything online that isn't fully patched. So many botnets are created from systems with open unpatched known vulnerabilities.

The way you guys go on about poison updates, you'd think it happened all the time. I've been using Windows across multiple systems all for almost 25 years and it has literally happened to me ONCE.

The unlikely risk of a bad update seems like a small price to pay to make sure everything online is patched and doesn't contribute to botnets.

IMHO, the moment a new patch is made available, all network connectivity except the update server should be severed until your system has all patches installed to stop you from hurting others.

In theory you'd have a point. If Microsoft actually bothered testing patches anymore (they don't - the QA department is gone) you'd have a point. And if Microsoft patches necessarily and expertly stopped botnets you'd have a point.

But for years it's been standard IT practice to avoid "patch tuesday" for 1-2 weeks to make sure MS didn't fuck anything up. And in this current Windows 10 era of QA-less updates, you haven't been paying attention if you are unaware that Windows 10 patches have been bricking boot-looping and generally just messing things up far too often.

Regardless, there's simply no excuse for Pro and up editions to not have the ability to revert individual patches that are causing trouble.

Last edited:
Just trying to chalk this up to people complaining about a new OS, then getting used to it doesn't recognize what a fundamental shift Windows 10 is in how the OS is updated and some user control has been lost. There hasn't been a precedent like this in any other version of Windows.

This. Precisely. But it's apparent that many of the "welll people complain about every new version of Windows" comments are just doublespeak. These aren't dumb people. They know better.

Sorry if I missed this, but even W10 Enterprise is or will soon be forcing batch updates??
HPbVecf.png

All your desktops are belong to Microsoft.

The excuse will be that enterprises can hold off by using the LTSB and make any changes needed within, what 10 months?

Very glad I haven't approved the Anniversary Update via WSUS. Still rocking 1511, thank you very much.
"I'm glad I'm only hooked on crack and not something dangerous like Krokodil."

Time to use WinServer for a desktop again. They can't auto patch servers surely, Shirley.

Have to fire up this eval version of 2016 Server and see how the Windows Update works for my own eyes.

My K has vt-d.

Yep, that is correct and all AMD processors support it virtual pass through as well. Just Intel choosing not to support earlier K processors so you had to spend more to get that ability.

It's like all of the Americans who claim they will move to Canada if the election doesn't go the way they want it to.

I know it's not the consensus view in this forum, but I was an early adopter of Windows XP and found it a breath of fresh air. Windows 98 would blue screen on me, it was just a matter of time. It might take a few days of use, but it would always happen. It didn't on Windows XP. Plus while not perfect, it had a lot more game compatibility options than Win 2k did, making it a more viable option for me.

Your experience with XP was the same for many people. XP was a good OS out of the gate, not perfect... but better in many ways then the previous options. MS at one time in fact tried to improve their OS in real terms... with actual improvements. There was a time when they improved file systems, windows compositors, when DirectX was an actual +... and even UIs got logical improvements. :) These days they use the same 20 year old file system... to protect their patents, their changes to program frameworks and compositors are aimed at a market they have already lost, and will abandon completely soon enough (mobile), everyone hates their last 4 years of UI changes, and DX 12 is a forced upgrade tool... that outside of marketing really only exists to compete with Sonys superior API that the majority of games are coded to first.

Reactions: DPI
like this
Translation: Individual patch testing is taking too much time, resources and money and we are tired of paying people to do it. We want windows 100% rolling release so we can milk everyone from birth on subscriptions.

It's like all of the Americans who claim they will move to Canada if the election doesn't go the way they want it to.

Oh i know of one person already planning on moving to canada. More will follow.

More on topic. This is utter horseshit. Linux is starting to look really good now.

Microsoft can take the "fundamental shift" and shove it where the sun doesn't shine very often. I'm running a DESKTOP not a tablet or a phone. With win 8 and 10 I have run 3rd party software just to put back what they took out. I run ad blockers on firefox because I don't want to be blasted with ads, why the hell would I want them in my OS? Thanks to Microsoft nerfing Pro we can't even use gpe to kill all this crap.

Reactions: DPI
like this
I have not yet seen a single ad in Windows 10 Pro. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, though I am one of the few who bought it retail rather than get it as an upgrade.

Well, just because this is where most people are going to see this, I am posting it here: I have what seems to be a fix for the Windows 7 update issue. (Or at least I can repeat the results consistently.) Doing a straight up clean install of the 32 or 64 bit Windows 7 with SP1 already part of it, I was then able to instantly install the patch I downloaded back in March. After that, I checked for updates, about 1 or 2 minutes later it showed the 228 updates I had for installation, I then installed them and everything worked. It seems to only work correctly and consistently on a straight up blank, clean install and not a recovery partition or cloned image of an existing Windows installation.

Back