Microsoft prohibiting users from using names or making money(youtube) off it's games.

Stiler

[H]F Junkie
http://www.gamespot.com/news/new-mi...ers-from-profiting-on-created-content-6397939

Basically they no longer want people to be able to make money from their games via Streaming (IE Twitch, subscribers, etc) or youtube (ad revenue through partner programming) also they no longer want to allow people to use the actual name of the their games in titles.

So you can't make a video of an awesome halo killstreak and then name it "Awesome killerstreak in Halo."

To me this is ABSURD. Do they not understand that the streamers/youtube people help not only SPREAD the word of their games but also it's FREE advertisement? How many people do they think watch streams/youtube videos before they buy games?

I know I have picked up some smaller games thanks to people like TotalBiscuit on youtube through his "wtf is" series.

It just makes ZERO sense to me, they aren't "Stealing" money from microsoft by streaming a game or youtubing it, hell they are usually helping them get MORE money by advertising the games for free.

considering the focus these days on advertising this was a completely dumbass move on their part. I expect they'll wake up and see the massive lack of word of mouth and blame it on some random accounting guy "Sorry everyone it was Jeff. He sucks."

You can still stream these games if you have a license or is part of a bigger partner network (e.g. Machinima). All I can say is...whatever. FU.

I'm starting to see what all the big fuss over Windows 8 is now, Micro$oft's plan to turn the entire planet into a closed system console has officially been set in motion with this anti community gesture. Time to prohibit my checking account from sending them anymore of my money if this is a sign of things to come from them.

Another example of old money not being able to cope with a digital future. Same as the record companies and the RIAA. If you can't keep up with trends then sue to because you don't have the brain power to capitalize on it.

I use YouTube to see what the game looks like when it's being played.

I really don't see how or why Youtube would enforce this. The partner program nets Youtube a fuck ton of money and they need revenue streams , as many as they can get.

All this really does is force Youtube , Twitch to play the cop and it screws all the little guys that are trying to build some kind of career out of their passion. Oh and not being able to call the video by the games actual title? Fucking retarded.

Fuck you Microsoft , last thing the world needs is another Viacom nanny giving streaming content a bad fucking time.

I'm surprised it's taken this long, I've been expecting publishers to crack down for some time, expecially on complete "Let's Plays". From their point of view it's all about control, and they probably figure some people simply watch the game instead of buying it.

It's second on my list of "things that will seriously fuck up gaming", after Patent Wars.

Good thing it has been forever since Microsoft made a game I give two shits about.

Good thing it has been forever since Microsoft made a game I give two shits about.

This. As much as Microsoft annoys me for doing this I really don't care. Oh no, I can't watch gameplay from halo 4 *snooze*. You have to be one of those halo/sonic obsessed tweens to care about this.

This. As much as Microsoft annoys me for doing this I really don't care. Oh no, I can't watch gameplay from halo 4 *snooze*. You have to be one of those halo/sonic obsessed tweens to care about this.

If microsoft does it and there's no huge backlash/change for it, other publishers will follow suit.

wow another terrible move at removing free publicity
the microsoft live game service doesn't help at all either

If microsoft does it and there's no huge backlash/change for it, other publishers will follow suit.

Exactly. Otherwise I wouldn't care. frankly though this really does look like one of those moves Microsoft will back pedal on.

Is this just covering Microsoft published games, or all games playable on the 360? Part of what CoD Elite does is allow players to upload videos to YouTube. Seems like developers would be angry at Microsoft for putting this into place when they've been pushing the sharing of content.

The way I read it you could post videos on YouTube, you just couldn't receive ad revenue. Maybe I'm misreading it.

Major Nelson tweeted this link earlier today from the Halo 4 forums. It makes it sound like they just cleaned up legal language and they don't want people profiting and, in their words, running "big corporations" and acting like they own microsofts IPs.

https://forums.halo.xbox.com/yaf_postsm1516207_MS-Game-Content-Usage-Rules-Updated.aspx#post1516207

BS. Who is out there actually doing that? It's like Toyota going after Edmunds.com for making ad revenue by reviewing their cars.

We know you have questions about the updated Game Content Usage Rules. The good news is that little to nothing actually changed. The rules are basically the same, with clarification added to address some frequently asked questions. While those rules govern several different titles, we would like to assure you that we not only love seeing, watching, and hearing your many different Halo-related creations, but we want you to be able to create to your heart’s content. That is one of the primary reasons we forged a partnership with Machinima, for example, so in theory, just about anyone could sign up as part of a simple pre-approved partner program and actually earn money on YouTube and avoid even having to think about it or apply for a separate license.

Both Rooster Teeth and Machinima have held our normal commercial licenses for years (and others can reach out to us for commercial licenses as well), so rest assured they will continue to exist as you know them. The majority of everything the community makes currently is fine, as long as they are not basically running a big Halo-based business or using Halo as if the IP was its own property. That actually isn’t a change to our policy, simply a clarification and update of the dry legal language, and as we’ve mentioned, even that “new” language was actually updated months ago. We don’t have squads of lawyers waiting in the wings to go after folks making machinima, or showing off their skills in Halo. Basically it’s business as usual.

So please, continue creating. And when you do, we’ll continue to spotlight and share it with the community.

Well I guess from that stand point it makes sense. As long as they don't go after users for simply creating videos or anything like that then protecting their IP is the natural thing to do for them.

By the way to all those saying "What games has MS made recently?" Guys come on , there are at least a gazillion Halo youtube videos. There is a new Halo coming out next month in fact. It will have LOTS of youtube videos surrounding its release and for years to come. If I worked in that community I would have been livid with MS if Nelson didn't clear up the language a bit for me.

Well one of my nephews was considering starting a Twitch channel and streaming his Halo, BF3, CoD, etc skills. He definitely wanted to monetize it and make a few bucks possibly to pay for a hamburger or a ticket to his college's football game. If many game companies follow Microsoft's lead and start making "start up" streamers flock to the umbrella of a major corporation then that stifles free enterprise.

I suggested the idea to him not even a week ago to give him a sense of something more than just following another person's dream. I thought it would at least give him a sense of empowerment and entrepreneurial spirit. I wanted him to have to read the fine print of whatever streaming service's ToS and work his own deal; not sign up under Machinima and whatever revenue sharing plan they have.

I can see that Microsoft would want to stop corporations from in effect stealing their IP and profiting from it. But everyday people just showing off a walk through of their game or playing well during multiplayer seems to be way out of touch.

Wouldn't someone like my nephew be covered under Derivative Works?

Well one of my nephews was considering starting a Twitch channel and streaming his Halo, BF3, CoD, etc skills. He definitely wanted to monetize it and make a few bucks possibly to pay for a hamburger or a ticket to his college's football game. If many game companies follow Microsoft's lead and start making "start up" streamers flock to the umbrella of a major corporation then that stifles free enterprise.

I suggested the idea to him not even a week ago to give him a sense of something more than just following another person's dream. I thought it would at least give him a sense of empowerment and entrepreneurial spirit. I wanted him to have to read the fine print of whatever streaming service's ToS and work his own deal; not sign up under Machinima and whatever revenue sharing plan they have.

I can see that Microsoft would want to stop corporations from in effect stealing their IP and profiting from it. But everyday people just showing off a walk through of their game or playing well during multiplayer seems to be way out of touch.

Wouldn't someone like my nephew be covered under Derivative Works?

He could still do it just not with Halo. There a plenty of FPS games otherwise though to choose from. Honestly I would like to see how many Twitch channels or Youtube channels get taken down because of this , my bet is that MS PR wouldn't want the community too pissed off with a brand new Halo game coming out so I don't think it'll materialize into anything for now.

He could still do it just not with Halo. There a plenty of FPS games otherwise though to choose from. Honestly I would like to see how many Twitch channels or Youtube channels get taken down because of this , my bet is that MS PR wouldn't want the community too pissed off with a brand new Halo game coming out so I don't think it'll materialize into anything for now.

Atleast we/they hope MS doesnt do anything stupid. Halo and its die hard community practically built the xbox base and to an extent, todays competitive e-sports professional leagues. It would be stupid for them to mess with that.

It sounds like it make sense. Say your a band and make a killer song. I dont think you would like microsoft/ford or any company to play your song to advertise their next product. Wasnt Rolling Stones given a hell of a deal with their Start Me Up song used in the Microsoft Win 95 advert? heres a blast from the past: http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/blog/techflash/2011/06/bill-gates-mick-jagger-deal.html?page=all

Last edited:
Youtube pretty much already has these rules when it comes to game play videos. Your not suppose to be able to turn on ads/profit sharing if its just a game play video or montage. However enforcement hasn't been consistent.

Also this doesn't mean you can't upload gameplay videos, you just can't profit from their content.

Doesn't the fair use doctrine have a clause for this? Since it isn't harming the brand.

This is so silly. It is like a movie studio saying you can't review their movies.

Technically, Google does, because people post stuff on Youtube and they get ad revenue.

You beat me to the punch. It smelled like a high up executive decision where they are mad that google is profiting off anything MS no matter how much money it is. I guarantee that this prohibition wouldn't have happened at this time if MS owned youtube.

So how will this affect the likes of Machinima and MLG?

It won't affect them since they have the license. It would affect me who can monetize videos. Now I have to join a major YouTube network who will then take a cut over my YouTube partnership revenue just so my videos won't get flagged. But whatever it's A LOT easier to just talk directly to indie developers. Ask them for your permission.

Being able to monetize Borderlands II videos was already a pain for small partners. I can see most small partners reviewing and posting indie games leaving the big games to IGN and the like.

Doesn't the fair use doctrine have a clause for this? Since it isn't harming the brand.

This is so silly. It is like a movie studio saying you can't review their movies.

You can and they'll release it for you so you can monetize it.

It's like this..

Dear rodoabadtv,

EA has reviewed your dispute and released its copyright claim on your video, "Battlefield 3 - Part 7 - Playthrough Gameplay". For more information, please visit your Copyright Notice page

Sincerely,
- The YouTube Team

They're worried about gameplay videos,and meanwhile their biggest game of the year is being leaked all over the net a month before it's release. Nice to see they've got their priorities straight.:D

They're worried about gameplay videos,and meanwhile their biggest game of the year is being leaked all over the net a month before it's release. Nice to see they've got their priorities straight.:D
Pretty sure the news in this thread came out before they knew their game had been leaked ;).

ArenaNet has been doing this for guild wars 1/2 videos on youtube for the last couple months so Microsoft isn't the only 'evil' company.

It makes sense from a business standpoint and I don't have an issue with it.

Back