Microsoft Radius Server

trckn4life

Limp Gawd
I'm looking for some general info on Microsoft Radius server. We might be looking into setting one up in the next year or so depending.

The cost will be a big factor. Anyone that has used Radius, how is it? Is it hard to setup? Is it pretty solid once it's up and running? I'm just looking for general feedback on Radius. I've read a bit but don't know all that much about it at the moment.

Yeah looks like it. https://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/ias/default.mspx

Sorry, I haven't messed around with IAS as of yet. But in the future we are planning a new building and wireless architecture and we want to figure out what hardware/software we are going to use to have; of course a "seamless" wireless integration. We also want to have users be forced to login before they are allowed into our network; otherwise they would be kicked off or dropped into a separate network.

I use IAS at my job to do all authentication for our Cisco routers/switches and VPN concentrator. Works very well, decent troubleshooting, had no problems with reliability.

We setup our wireless infrastructure earlier this year, and it works great. We have Cisco 1200 Series AP authenticating against Windows 2003 Server with IAS. The "PEAP and Passwords" guide linked to above outlines everything you need to know to get it up and running in most cases.

I had a realy simple set of instructions from microsoft. Ill see if I can find it the evening at home. I looked at those other links, but I think there is another set I used and it is a ver simple process. I used it for setting up peep radius authentication for my wireless ap..

The version of IAS that somes with 2k3 standard only supports up to 50 (or maybe 100?) authenticating devices. Enterprise edition is unlimited. But it doesn't look like you'll have a problem there.

Hey, thanks for the link. I am getting ready to set up a Cisco 4401 and about 10 Cisco 1242 APs for one of my clients and you just saved me some digging for the info.

do you mean a 4402 wireless lan controller?
I just set one up with 18 AP's.

Hey, thanks for the link. I am getting ready to set up a Cisco 4401 and about 10 Cisco 1242 APs for one of my clients and you just saved me some digging for the info.

No problem. I'll probably be setting up a cisco wireless lan controller in a few months, so I may hit you up for info ;)

Back