Microsoft Sidewinder : Mini Review + Opinions

I am considering ditching my G5 because I feel the 3rd mouse button is totally useless due to the design of the wheel. I cannot press it without scrolling in one of the four directions.
That's why I ditched my G7. That wheel is total suck for gaming, and honestly, how much horizontal scrolling do you do in anything else?

At least Microsoft knows what features gamers want in their mice. Recently, Logitech seems to be just throwing random features in and raising the prices without thinking of how practical or usable their products are.

Yeah I use auto scroll for left right movement.

Also been playing with the different feet MS gives with this mouse. Here is the composition of each type:

White: 100% Teflon
Grey: Mix of plastic / Teflon
Black: Plastic

I have a Ratzpad xt and find the black feet to work the best. It's like the mouse is floating on oil or something, just super slick. I thought my Deathadder was slick with this pad, but the Sidewinder with black feet and the Ratzpad xt is easily the slickest, most frictionless combo I've seen. The mouse is not affected by dust either. I think it has to do with its higher glide height. My DA sits very low almost touching the pad, allowing dust and little particles to hamper movement...

Ply

Yeah I use auto scroll for left right movement.

Also been playing with the different feet MS gives with this mouse. Here is the composition of each type:

White: 100% Teflon
Grey: Mix of plastic / Teflon
Black: Plastic

I have a Ratzpad xt and find the black feet to work the best. It's like the mouse is floating on oil or something, just super slick. I thought my Deathadder was slick with this pad, but the Sidewinder with black feet and the Ratzpad xt is easily the slickest, most frictionless combo I've seen. The mouse is not affected by dust either. I think it has to do with its higher glide height. My DA sits very low almost touching the pad, allowing dust and little particles to hamper movement...

Ply

Currently I am using a Icemat Rev2 Blk and the grey feet feel great. I like the ''textury'' feeling with mice...if my mouse slides without any resistance I just find that my accuracy drops dramatically.

Stupid Ratpadz though, the darn thing ruined the feet on my G5 and on my MX Revo. Now it feels like I'm playing on a chalkboard if I try to use the G5 and the Icemat. :confused:

^^
Wow. What did it do to your mouse feet???

Ply

The darn thing was basically sand paper to the teflon feet! Now they're all ''sanded'' down and rough.

Just look at your mouse's feet...you'll notice some roughness and/or scratching.

It sucks :(

Hey guys, I have a question. I have an old MX1000 laser mouse, and I love it because it is flexible, also love the battery life. I have heard great things about the G7 but it has a low battery life. What do you guys think of the G7?
I also got as a backup mouse a MS Habu, but honestly it just does not feel right, I also don't like the pull on the mouse wire. I also hear they have a new G9 but its wired, how does it compare to the sidewinder?
It's a lot of questions but I am trying to find a compromise because eventually my mouse might become too obsolete. It is still going strong only prob with mine is the charger, I have to do a balancing act to get the mouse settled the right way so that it meets with the charger's connectors, the bottom of the mouse is a bit worn too, I recently got as a gift a razer exactmat x speed, so it's really helping.

Personally I've never owned a wireless mouse, I've used friends and yes they are nice, but I would HATE having to change batteries, especially if I was in the middle of a game. Personally, I don't know why people hate corded mice. I have my G9 at home, I don't really do anything, my computer is under my desk, the cord goes behind my desk, comes out between my 2 monitors, it has more than enough slack and I never have a problem with it. It can reach my whole mouse pad without issue, so I guess I love corded mice :p

Same goes with the Sidewinder, the weighted box is a cool idea, you can put it wherever you like and give the cord enough slack so you don't have to worry about it. I personally don't use it because I don't have problems with cord slack anyways, but some might. It's a nice option to have though.

I use my desktop blotter as a mouse pad. It's woodgain design, so works great.
I had a textured mouse pad before that wore the feet off. The "feet" on my G5 look as new as when new. :p

Oh no, the mouse pad I have is smooth. Reason why I don't like the pull from the wired mouse is because the mouse wire would have to go all the way to the back, don't wanna take up front bays, thats for other accessories. But the way my table is it's a little far, I tried plugging in the Habu to the USB on my Keyboard and windows tells me I don't have sufficient power to run both off the same socket.

Hey, does this Sidewinder remind you of an Audi TT? The side buttons, the "retro" sleek square shape, and the silver metal scroll wheel are all exactly reminiscent of a modern Audi TT's style!!!

Ok, ok, here's my mini-mini-review on it:

First, I've had the very first Intellimouse Explorer (still have it with me for memories), IE3.0, Logitech MX700, MX510, G5, and currently wireless G7. I recently got this Microsoft Sidewinder about a month ago to replace my G5 for my online gaming rig.

:D

Yes, it does perform better than the G5. It's more precise, accurate, and faster. That was noticeable straight out of the box, and with using the same 2000 dpi settings. I almost always use 2000dpi and then reduce the mouse sensitivity in drivers so that a comfortable 3-inch movement from right to left on the mousepad takes me from the left side of the screen all the way to the right (little or no mouse acceleration depending on games). 3 inches should also do a full 360-degree turn in FPS games at the usual 1920x1200 resolution.

:eek:

Here's a quick lesson for you guys: 2000dpi should cover virtually every pixel (line-of-sight) when gaming in 1920 horizontal pixels. Most noobs cannot handle this kind of sensitivity because it is indeed very fast. Many many years of serious gaming have given me the natural dexterity needed for handling twitch sensitivity (which is required if you want to pwn online FPS matches).

:cool:

The side buttons are great, but I am still not fully used to those strange (novel) placements. I still find myself confused in situtations where I have no time to think about those buttons! So, time will tell if I do ever get used to the bottom thumb button in particular (the amount of time it takes for your thumb to reach down to that button might cost you death, though).

The biggest gripe about this mouse is the size and shape. After holding onto that thing, my wrists get sore even if I use a wrist rest. The butt is just too big and I have to use my upper-hand muscles to keep my fingers from completely relaxing or else my two fingers will depress the 2 main buttons. A solution I found for this is to move my palm back a little bit and treat it as a palm mouse and then I can let go of the weight of my fingers (the center of weight is moved back and the fingers are no longer too heavy while resting on the buttons). I cannot game this way, though because that means my wrists will also be too low on the rest or the mousepad.

VERDICT FOR SERIOUS FPS GAMERS: Although more accurate and more responsive than a G5, you will have to use it as a finger mouse which can be very tiring unless you develop some strange muscles for it without getting Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

Another big gripe is the weight. Although the weight is adjustable, it's still TOO HEAVY without any added weights!!! Unless you have tireless hands, it's too big and heavy to be used as a finger mouse.

:confused:

And why didn't MS include horizontal scrolling? There are only 5 customizable buttons--no more than the original Explorer mouse from 7 years ago. In comparison, a Logitech G5 with 2 side buttons has 7 customizable buttons. I've found horizontal scrolling to be extremely useful in many games and for faster back/forward browsing on the internet.

It's nice to have 2 extra sets of mouse feet but I wish there were more difference between the rubber and plastic sets on my Flexiglow FX mouse pad. If one set wears out or breaks, I could always use the extras, though. The rubber seems to snag a little more.

RE: To guys complaining about the wire pulling the mouse or hanging with gravity, simply tape a part of the wire to the back of your keyboard tray, leaving a foot or a foot-and-a-half of it loose (just enough for your mouse to move around freely).

;)

So, is the G9 really worth it? I'm kind of waiting to see if Logitech or MS releases a wireless version.. G7's short battery life SUCKS big time, but goes perfectly well with my other "multimedia" gaming rig!

Well guys, time to sum up my experience.

I really like this mouse, I really do. However it is going back to the store tomorrow. I simply can not tolerate the way it rest in my hand. After just an hour or so my upper palm, just below the middle finger, aches, no it hurts is more like it. Very much so even. The pain stays with me for some time too, several hours later my palm still hurts. The high hump on the rear is just unbareable.

Sorry Microsoft, you were close with this mouse, but no cigar...

Ply

Ok, ok, here's my mini-mini-review on it:

First, I've had the very first Intellimouse Explorer (still have it with me for memories), IE3.0, Logitech MX700, MX510, G5, and currently wireless G7. I recently got this Microsoft Sidewinder about a month ago to replace my G5 for my online gaming rig.

:D

Yes, it does perform better than the G5. It's more precise, accurate, and faster. That was noticeable straight out of the box, and with using the same 2000 dpi settings. I almost always use 2000dpi and then reduce the mouse sensitivity in drivers so that a comfortable 3-inch movement from right to left on the mousepad takes me from the left side of the screen all the way to the right (little or no mouse acceleration depending on games). 3 inches should also do a full 360-degree turn in FPS games at the usual 1920x1200 resolution.

Here's a quick lesson for you guys: 2000dpi should cover virtually every pixel (line-of-sight) when gaming in 1920 horizontal pixels. Most noobs cannot handle this kind of sensitivity because it is indeed very fast. Many many years of serious gaming have given me the natural dexterity needed for handling twitch sensitivity (which is required if you want to pwn online FPS matches).

:cool:

The side buttons are great, but I am still not fully used to those strange (novel) placements. I still find myself confused in situtations where I have no time to think about those buttons! So, time will tell if I do ever get used to the bottom thumb button in particular (the amount of time it takes for your thumb to reach down to that button might cost you death, though).

The biggest gripe about this mouse is the size and shape. After holding onto that thing, my wrists get sore even if I use a wrist rest. The butt is just too big and I have to use my upper-hand muscles to keep my fingers from completely relaxing or else my two fingers will depress the 2 main buttons. A solution I found for this is to move my palm back a little bit and treat it as a palm mouse and then I can let go of the weight of my fingers (the center of weight is moved back and the fingers are no longer too heavy while resting on the buttons). I cannot game this way, though because that means my wrists will also be too low on the rest or the mousepad.

VERDICT FOR SERIOUS FPS GAMERS: Although more accurate and more responsive than a G5, you will have to use it as a finger mouse which can be very tiring unless you develop some strange muscles for it without getting Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

Another big gripe is the weight. Although the weight is adjustable, it's still TOO HEAVY without any added weights!!! Unless you have tireless hands, it's too big and heavy to be used as a finger mouse.

And why didn't MS include horizontal scrolling? There are only 5 customizable buttons--no more than the original Explorer mouse from 7 years ago. In comparison, a Logitech G5 with 2 side buttons has 7 customizable buttons. I've found horizontal scrolling to be extremely useful in many games and for faster back/forward browsing on the internet.

It's nice to have 2 extra sets of mouse feet but I wish there were more difference between the rubber and plastic sets on my Flexiglow FX mouse pad. If one set wears out or breaks, I could always use the extras, though. The rubber seems to snag a little more.

RE: To guys complaining about the wire pulling the mouse or hanging with gravity, simply tape a part of the wire to the back of your keyboard tray, leaving a foot or a foot-and-a-half of it loose (just enough for your mouse to move around freely).

;)

So, is the G9 really worth it? I'm kind of waiting to see if Logitech or MS releases a wireless version.. G7's short battery life SUCKS big time, but goes perfectly well with my other "multimedia" gaming rig!

I respect your opinion, Bo_Fox, but a large portion of your review is purely your speculation on the mouse. Good review, but a few more facts would be nice rather than opinions ;)

I respect your opinion, Bo_Fox, but a large portion of your review is purely your speculation on the mouse. Good review, but a few more facts would be nice rather than opinions ;)

Hmm? Of course, it's a subjective review. Didn't mean to take over your op mini-review or anything like that. (Just kidding, gotcha!)

Ok, aside from the usual "white paper" specs, what additional facts do you want from me? I'd be glad to help if my mini-review weren't enough (it was only intended to add to your review with your few facts and lots of positive opinions unlike most others who really dislike this mouse). Gotta try out that G9, though... my wallet is itching bad!

Too many additional buttons for my taste, I feel too many buttons on the mouse can be a bad thing when gaming with them, for one using buttons on a mouse when you're a high sensitivity player (like I am) puts off your aim too much.

I managed to get number 1909 of 10000 of the Boomslang CE mice and couldn't be happier :)

what additional facts do you want from me?
Nothing, your impressions fall in line w/ mine. It's just too heavy. Also, I much prefer the shape of the MX518 along with the button layout. The wheel was pretty nice tho!

Ok, aside from the usual "white paper" specs, what additional facts do you want from me? I'd be glad to help if my mini-review weren't enough (it was only intended to add to your review with your few facts and lots of positive opinions unlike most others who really dislike this mouse). Gotta try out that G9, though... my wallet is itching bad!

Hmmm. I don't know it just seamed very opinionated - do you hate MS just like the rest of the world? XD JK

No worries - opinions are just as good, and in some cases better, than facts. It just seamed very opinionated.

Nice mini review though :)

Hey guys, I have a question. I have an old MX1000 laser mouse, and I love it because it is flexible, also love the battery life. I have heard great things about the G7 but it has a low battery life. What do you guys think of the G7?
I also got as a backup mouse a MS Habu, but honestly it just does not feel right, I also don't like the pull on the mouse wire. I also hear they have a new G9 but its wired, how does it compare to the sidewinder?
It's a lot of questions but I am trying to find a compromise because eventually my mouse might become too obsolete. It is still going strong only prob with mine is the charger, I have to do a balancing act to get the mouse settled the right way so that it meets with the charger's connectors, the bottom of the mouse is a bit worn too, I recently got as a gift a razer exactmat x speed, so it's really helping.

i like my g7, much better for gaming. noticably less latency than the mx1000. And the feet are really nice. While it doesnt have the battery life of the 1000, it takes literally 5s to change the battery. Only problem i have with it is it only has one side button.

Well guys, time to sum up my experience.

I really like this mouse, I really do. However it is going back to the store tomorrow. I simply can not tolerate the way it rest in my hand. After just an hour or so my upper palm, just below the middle finger, aches, no it hurts is more like it. Very much so even. The pain stays with me for some time too, several hours later my palm still hurts. The high hump on the rear is just unbareable.
Ply

Anyone other G5 user having trouble with the Sidewinder's shape? I have small hands and the G5's shape/weight is just ok, but there are the whole bunch of annoyances (the 3rd button mentioned before is absolutely useless) that make me consider upgrading.

Oh yeah, also had that MX1000.. it was beautiful and awesome! And comfortable, and just a dream...

EXCEPT FOR ONE PROBLEM--- it had that skipping problem that made it not suitable at all for fast-paced gaming, especially FPS games. I was one of the first to discover this problem upon buying it before it was officially released on Logitech's website (due to my fascination with innovations, with this being the FIRST LASER mouse), and every time I lifted the mouse off the surface to reposition, it would instantly go into "sleep" mode to save the battery and then when I placed it back onto the surface it would take nearly a full second to re-activate. Can you imagine that in a frag-fest? Had to return it to CompUSA within a few days.

Well, I have been enjoying this MS Sidewinder for a month now, and no I'm not so Anti-Microsoft. In fact, I want to support this Sidewinder with its 'Audi cars' fashion of style. But it's gonna give me a carpal tunnel syndrome with my daily sore upper wrists, seriously and I wish it weren't like that. Man, I do love it for its quick responsiveness and accuracy but.... the size, weight and shape, man! Audi cars weren't designed for comfort, but for looks ya know?

Anyone other G5 user having trouble with the Sidewinder's shape? I have small hands and the G5's shape/weight is just ok, but there are the whole bunch of annoyances (the 3rd button mentioned before is absolutely useless) that make me consider upgrading.

I found the mouse to be a very comfortable one.

I guess it's just personal preference...I can honestly not see what you guys are talking about :eek:

Hmmm. I don't know it just seamed very opinionated - do you hate MS just like the rest of the world? XD JK

No worries - opinions are just as good, and in some cases better, than facts. It just seamed very opinionated.

Nice mini review though :)

Thanks, bud.. your review was a good one too, and you actually got on the main page of HardOCP, which is something that a forum poster can only dream of!!! :)

Yeah, now that I think about it more, the thumb resting in between the 2 thumb buttons should quickly access either one, no problem! I admit that it does take a bit getting used to, since it's new for me. It's a cool new thing, though!

You lucky dude to be featured on the main page, argh! :mad: :D

Oh yeah, also had that MX1000.. it was beautiful and awesome! And comfortable, and just a dream...

EXCEPT FOR ONE PROBLEM--- it had that skipping problem that made it not suitable at all for fast-paced gaming, especially FPS games. I was one of the first to discover this problem upon buying it before it was officially released on Logitech's website (due to my fascination with innovations, with this being the FIRST LASER mouse), and every time I lifted the mouse off the surface to reposition, it would instantly go into "sleep" mode to save the battery and then when I placed it back onto the surface it would take nearly a full second to re-activate. Can you imagine that in a frag-fest? Had to return it to CompUSA within a few days.

Well, I have been enjoying this MS Sidewinder for a month now, and no I'm not so Anti-Microsoft. In fact, I want to support this Sidewinder with its 'Audi cars' fashion of style. But it's gonna give me a carpal tunnel syndrome with my daily sore upper wrists, seriously and I wish it weren't like that. Man, I do love it for its quick responsiveness and accuracy but.... the size, weight and shape, man! Audi cars weren't designed for comfort, but for looks ya know?

I can totally relate Bo, the mouse is nowhere as close to as comfortable as my MX Revo, but it does not hurt my hand like my G5 did (Cramps). The Sidewinder sure looks cool, and you can bet the red LED's under the mouse sure look pretty intimidating when it's placed on my glass mouse pad, Icemat Rev 2 Black. The red light kind-of illuminates the Icemat giving off this dull yet creepy deep red glow. It's sick.

Maybe I could get a picture or two...

Thanks, bud.. your review was a good one too, and you actually got on the main page of HardOCP, which is something that a forum poster can only dream of!!! :)

Yeah, now that I think about it more, the thumb resting in between the 2 thumb buttons should quickly access either one, no problem! I admit that it does take a bit getting used to, since it's new for me. It's a cool new thing, though!

You lucky dude to be featured on the main page, argh! :mad: :D

I actually didn't even notice that! Wow. I was getting ready to get flamed for that review when I 1st posted it. I'm glad I did :) and thanks for the props. :)

But yeah, if you rest your thumb in-between the two buttons, you can easily rock back and forth to whichever one you need, which is what I do. Sometimes, when I'm in close-courter maps, what I'll do is rest my hand on the upper button - which is my ''knifer'' key - since incidentally I'll be using that one the most for that match in particular (Rather than the bottom button, which is my 'nade key).

Or when a match starts, often people will spam grenades - I'll keep my hand resting on my lower mouse button, I guess it's just depends on what kind of game type I'm playing and where I'm at in the game.

~FiD

I got my Sidewinder some month ago. But I replaced it since it was better used and I noticed since it´s discontinued I could get a new mouse for less then the used I bought from a local store!

I got this for 50$ which is a steal seeing how well built it´s. Its cheap where I live if someone protest say it´s expensive since it retails for 100$ or close to that.

I was a big fan of Microsofts old Intellimouse 3 and older huge mouses. It was before the era where the mouses was over designed... Now the Sidewinder is perhaps the epidome of over designed mouse but it feels superb for my oversized hands... I have had big issues finding headphones where you can actually rest your hand on them. They are all to small nowadays. I have had the best luck with mouses designed for claw grip like the Razer Copperhead before.

Mouses like the Deathadder/Ikari Laser I had to revert to claw grip as well even though they aren´t designed for it. Sidewinder feels superb under my hand. I can both claw and palm it.

Most of the extras they could skip. I fail to see the use of the weights since it´s already a heavy mouse by itself by todays standard. But I rather take this build quality then my Ikari Laser that is super light and glides like a hover craft but where you feel that it´s made by cheap materials. It doesn´t really bring confidence. My old Razer copperhead is the middle playground here. It have tolerated 2 years of really heavy abuse and floor droppings without protesting. However as mentioned not even the deathadder bring as much confidence in the build quality as this mouse.

As for the extras:

The extra weights is meaningless for me. It´s already quite heavy due to the good choice of material in the mouse and it get extremely heavy if you load it with all the weights available. The glide could been a lot better but the white feets some silicon spray and using the speed side of my Razer Exactmat it´s perfectly fine. I am a bit spoiled by the Ikari laser here though. The sidewinder is really noisy though that doesn´t really affect me while gaming.

anchor is a superb idea even though it´s dirt easy to create your own. Having a transducer it´s extremely welcome to avoid floor droppings :)

Otherwise design is a 10/10 ergonomics wise. But as for functionality it´s lacking on the software side.
Why aren´t I allowed to set dpi to whatever setting I want between 400-2000? Why does this mouse have so many buttons you can´t remap? It has 4 more buttons then my Copperhead but you can´t map even one more. Even though I am much more comfortable mapping the side buttons on the Sidewinder then other mouses that have them horizontal. That was quite a genious move.

So Pros:
+Superb ergonomics for big hands.
+Discontinued so can be had for quite little while it feels extremely expensive.
+Built quality is amazing.
+Precision wise nothing more to ask for in a mouse

Cons
- lighter without sacrificing build quality possible?
- more surface area on the mouse feets should have improved the glide and noise issue.
- software is not really up to acceptable standards.

Overall: Best mouse I have ever used I dare to say despite the software issue.

Way to resurrect a 2 year old thread. ;) I'm sure there are better mice out there by now.

Way to resurrect a 2 year old thread. ;) I'm sure there are better mice out there by now.

Why is that? Mice are very much personal preference... some people still use 10 year old Intellimouse' as their preference....

it looks like the two thunb buttons would be hard to press, like you have to really twist and curl your thumb.:confused:

Actually the opposite, the vertical button arrangement is SUPERIOR to every single side mouse button arrangement.

Your thumb rests right on top of both buttons without having to move it forward or backwards, and if you need to click one, you simply shift the thumbs force to the top or bottom button. VERY precise and better than anything else out there.

I wish more mice would copy microsofts design, it is a good one.

EDIT:

I fell for the necro thread trap !!!!!! I feel dirty.

I bought this mouse this month so it´s pretty new to me. As mentioned it beats mouses like deathadder and ikari laser overall. As for precision it´s the same really not even the pros care they just go with the one that give them the most money ;). Not even my ancient Copperhead feels outdated sensor wise. Many of the pros still run 400 dpi settings so 4000 dpi is just a marketing ploy. I would like to see one who actually game at that res. I mean I am a high sensitivity gamer myself I don´t enjoy dragging the mouse around a lot and 2000 is way to much for me.

But as mentioned it´s totally subjective. Sensor technology is solid so it´s all about the shape and features now.

Lol I started reading this thread and didnt realize how old it was. Until someone said "I went to Circuit City..." ;)

Still using this mouse, bought it because of this thread. Still love it. Only complaint I get when people use my comp is how big the mouse is, but I have huge paws so it's not a problem.

I'll make use of the necro and ask this:

Buying a new mouse: Sidewinder (original one) or Sidewinder X5? I was considering the X8 but it's quite expensive and being wireless and all... dunno.

The big side button is used for setting up macros with the mouse. Or is the button to trigger a macro, or something like that.

I like the mouse but my hand hurts.... Ive only had it for 2 days so I am hoping I will just get used to it. Its a GIGANTIC mouse.

EDIT : Sorry for the major necro, Im a bit intoxicated. I better just go to bed.

When I saw your thread title I that you were talking about the sidewinder joystick that microsoft stopped making.

Back