Microsoft Technet Subscription Student Discount - $99/yr

Clearly you have never used Linux - hardware support is out of the box for damn near everything nowadays - flaky Windows drivers, however, are still the norm the norm.

I suggest you check your facts before making claims about Linux's hardware support

but, as not to threadshit, I'd like to tell most "students" here that if your school is part of the program, you can get this stuff for free from Microsoft's channel 8, minus Server 2k8 (2k3 available) and the Windows Installs. However, those are also available free through Microsoft's Feedback program for Vista

https://downloads.channel8.msdn.com/

* Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition
* Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition
* SQL Server 2005 Express Edition
* Expression Studio
* XNA Game Studio 2.0
* XNA Creators Club Online
* Visual C# 2005 Express Edition
* Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition
* Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition
* Visual Web 2005 Express Edition
* Visual J++ 2005 Express Edition
* SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition
* Microsoft Virtual PC

Unfortunately the two things I want are Vista Ultimate and Office 2007 Ultimate, which aren't on that list. In case anyone was wondering, the ones listed below are free to everyone...

Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition
* Visual C# 2008 Express Edition
* Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition
* Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition
* Visual Web Developer 2008 Express Edition

Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition

Microsoft Popfly

Microsoft Virtual PC

So I subscribed last night, I'm able to access all the content and I'm currently downloading Windows Vista SP1 x64, woot.

So I subscribed last night, I'm able to access all the content and I'm currently downloading Windows Vista SP1 x64, woot.

WTF? How? I signed up before you and still have nothing. Did they e-mail you a password?

Edit: Nevermind, I just got the e-mail with my info like 2 seconds after posting.

I just received an email from TechNote, which had my id number and all that jazz. I then associated the account with my .net passport and I can access it all.

Clearly you have never used Linux - hardware support is out of the box for damn near everything nowadays - flaky Windows drivers, however, are still the norm the norm.

I suggest you check your facts before making claims about Linux's hardware support

but, as not to threadshit, I'd like to tell most "students" here that if your school is part of the program, you can get this stuff for free from Microsoft's channel 8, minus Server 2k8 (2k3 available) and the Windows Installs. However, those are also available free through Microsoft's Feedback program for Vista

https://downloads.channel8.msdn.com/

* Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition
* Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition
* Expression Studio
* XNA Game Studio 2.0
* XNA Creators Club Online
* SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition
* Microsoft Virtual PC

This is a very specious argument. For generic things like standard mice, keyboards, digital camera, USB storage, etc. Linux and Windows work fine. The problem comes with things like bluetooth devices, specialty keyboards like the Logitech G15, gaming peripherals, multi-function network printers, stuff like that.

Those don't come in the box. They come from the vendor, and guess what, when that's the case Windows support is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Linux.

Yeah, I know "Well if the vendor provided the Linux driver" argument, but lets face it. The Average home Linux desktops guys don't buy $600 dollar printers or $100 keyboards for their rigs. Sorry, they are all about FOSS and not paying for much. That's the Linux culture.

Sorry, they are all about FOSS and not paying for much. That's the Linux culture.

Offtopic rant:
Ignorant comment my friend. FOSS has nothing to with price of software or whether its supporters are willing to open up their wallets to purchase stuff. That is NOT Linux culture. There are various reasons why people choose Linux; not necessarily because the its user base are cheap. Go do some reading before making general statements that have no evidence of being true at all. >> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html . I am willing to bet that there are more Windows users out there with a pirated OS and software then there are frugal Linux users.

Back on topic:
Anyways I hope this deal is still going because THIS Linux user is willing to open his own wallet and spend some cash to get in on this deal.

the SlickDeal Effect (though it's all over the internet), which is when they cancel it.

Hah, nice. The "SlickDeal Effect" should be added to UrbanDictionary, and start being common use around here!

Offtopic rant:
Ignorant comment my friend. FOSS has nothing to with price of software or whether its supporters are willing to open up their wallets to purchase stuff. That is NOT Linux culture. There are various reasons why people choose Linux; not necessarily because the its user base are cheap. Go do some reading before making general statements that have no evidence of being true at all. >> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html . I am willing to bet that there are more Windows users out there with a pirated OS and software then there are frugal Linux users.

Back on topic:
Anyways I hope this deal is still going because THIS Linux user is willing to open his own wallet and spend some cash to get in on this deal.

FOSS has a LOT to do with the price. Don't get me wrong, I like the concept of open source. I think Linux is a great OS. I have a dedicated Ubuntu rig, I'm n00b however. But really, how many Linux users pay for software to run exclusively on a home Linux desktop? How many spend $600 on a printer to run exclusively with a Linux desktop? How many buy a $4000 rig to exclusively (or even primarily) run Linux?

I spend thousands each and every year on hardware and software. But almost nothing for Linux. I don't think I'm that different from most people in forums like this.

And yes, sure Windows piracy is a far bigger deal than Linux. But then just how much commercial software is there for the Linux desktop?

Why do some Linux people like to call people ignorant and then ignore reality themselves.

I like Linux. It has its strengths. But it has its weaknesses. Broad support for more exotic hardware is one of them. I've spend a lot of hours trying to get hardware like my G15 and bluetooth fob working. It's not easy man. It's definitely a lot harder than downloading a driver and running the install. But it worked great with my Nikon camera.

Yeah, I haven't officially got like an email that says here is your info or anything... but I got a newsletter with my subscriber ID and was able to associate it with my passport id.

Yeah, I haven't officially got like an email that says here is your info or anything... but I got a newsletter with my subscriber ID and was able to associate it with my passport id.

Just confirmed this works. I actually tried that when I got the email earlier today, but it didn't work then. They must have flipped the switch since then. :)

Did it give you guys etc when things ship? obviously nothing is shipping, but I am wondering if thats the day my key will be sent to me or something.

It said mine would ship on the 13th (10 days after my order) but my subscription was activated today.

Is anyone able to actually download anything yet? I'm able to request product keys, but all my downloads are greyed out. I don't think it's completely setup yet.

Offtopic rant:

Back on topic:

That's absolutely true, but it kinda speaks volumes that people would rather steal an supposedly crappy inferior bug ridden product than install the best OS there is for free.

Aside from a few million enthusiasts, nobody wants Linux on the desktop. What's more, over and over, I hear people use the linux is free argument....or open office is free.

$99.00 bucks for this is better than free linux, IMNSHO, for 99% of the PC users in the world. Some day Linux may be a great mainstream desktop OS. That day is not now, and it's won't be for a long time.

Some day Linux may be a great mainstream desktop OS. That day is not now, and it's won't be for a long time.

Linux will never matter on the desktop, at least the desktop that we know today. The Linux will replace Windows on the desktop or become a major factor in the desktop space argument has been going on for a decade now. It hasn't happened and it won't.

It very possible that Linux will be the OS that "puts the next billion people on the net". Via FireFox. Indeed, the chances that thin clients become the dominant player in the personal computer space are very strong. The problem with that market is that it will not 1) be willing to spend or 2) be able to spend a lot of money for hardware, software and services.

Without revenue streams, Linux on the desktop faces many challenges. The number on being that it costs money to license certain technologies. People don't realize that Microsoft pays out a lot money to bring DVD playback and the like. Because Microsoft has money, putting in a quazi-legal hacker developed decrypter isn't an option. They would be sued out of business by the RIAA and everyone with any reasonable claim. When you make money, someone is always trying to take it away.

At any rate, I was not trying to bash Linux. I simply tire of the endless unrealistic views that get toughed out as the gospel. The myth that Linux device driver support is as good or better than Windows on new hardware beyond ordinary devices is one of them.

Found this code TLNW08 for 40% off. Took price down to $209. Still tempting since there I am looking for XP tablet and looks like that is on the list of downloads, but after seeing the subscription at $99, I will just wait and keep looking for more codes.

Found this code TLNW08 for 40% off. Took price down to $209. Still tempting since there I am looking for XP tablet and looks like that is on the list of downloads, but after seeing the subscription at $99, I will just wait and keep looking for more codes.

Do you have a Tablet PC that you are thinking about putting that tablet OS on? I'm on my third tablet (2 xp 1 vista) and if you have decent hardware and get this deal and use tablet inking you really need to go with Vista.

This is overlooked because the tablet pc is niche, but the inking is much better in Vista, at least I think. The Vista version actually begins to learn hand writing and can be trained. It is incredibly accurate, at least for my handwriting.

ya i saw that too but still.. who the hell has a promo code for just a couple of days!
and i love how its a student discount when most of the ppl getting it arnt students.

Do you have a Tablet PC that you are thinking about putting that tablet OS on? I'm on my third tablet (2 xp 1 vista) and if you have decent hardware and get this deal and use tablet inking you really need to go with Vista.

This is overlooked because the tablet pc is niche, but the inking is much better in Vista, at least I think. The Vista version actually begins to learn hand writing and can be trained. It is incredibly accurate, at least for my handwriting.

Not to offtrack the thread, but yes, I have a tablet UMPC. Fujitsu U810 and running a VLited Vista SP1 on it and it actually runs very well and I honestly can't imagine XP Tablet opening applications, switching windows or playing Starcraft any faster, although boot up with Vista takes forever ( going through now and turning off/switching to manual many services) . I just always hear people with this UMPC switching to XP Tablet and was curious to see first hand if it was an improvement over Vista SP1 or if they are just seeing a placebo effect (minus the boot up), because I have XP Pro on my desktop and my little U810 with vista is about as snappy at opening stuff up as my desktop.

This might be a dumb question, but nonetheless, I'm still stumped. What is the difference between XP Professional, XP Professional K, XP Professional KN, XP Professional N? I have access to all four of those (which include SP3) and I have access to XP Professional without SP3. Plus I have access to four sets of keys: XP Professional, XP Professional x64, XP Professional K, and XP Professional KN. I know I have to match the correct key with the correct .iso I download, but I'm not sure which download to choose. I was just going to choose the XP Professional (and not the SP3 version) because I've heard about problems with AMDs and XP3.

EDIT: It appears it has to do with a Korean version of Windows? :confused:

Anyone know if you can use a password back-up program like ABR so you can reinstall the same OS you get off technet as many times as you need and only burn one actual install code?

Is anyone able to actually download anything yet? I'm able to request product keys, but all my downloads are greyed out. I don't think it's completely setup yet.

Yep. Already downloaded Vista Ultimate with SP1 and Office Ultimate 2007.

Anybody else still waiting I ordered on the 3rd and all I've got is a confirmation email that I got right after the order.

dead deal now. code is no longer valid for me this morning.

dang.. it was working last night too.

Yes, and the multiple versions are the result of a class-action lawsuit filed in Korea.

You want the plain old Windows XP.

If you need the GUI in Hangul, D/L the multilanguage user interface for Korean (and the Office multilanguage pack too) - it's available via MSDN and is quite slick. They have MUI/MLPs for most languages, try loading Arabic... it swaps the user interface to "Right to Left" great for messing with people.

Anybody else still waiting I ordered on the 3rd and all I've got is a confirmation email that I got right after the order.

I did what the others did, used the newsletter email I got today, had my subscriber number on it and associated my passport account with the technet subscriber number. Let me right in.

Of course about 90 minutes later I got the official email :)

Oh man this was a good deal. I was too lazy to read that first post a few days ago though... so I didn't get in on it lol...crap :(

Well, I bit on the 40% off deal TMSAML06 . Double the price ($209+tax= $219 in Hawaii), but considering what you're getting, still a good deal. The only thing that makes me not like this deal is knowing you bastards got it for much less!!! , but I'll deal with it. I could get all this stuff for free, but I like being legit :D

Well, I bit on the 40% off deal TMSAML06 . Double the price ($209+tax= $219 in Hawaii), but considering what you're getting, still a good deal. The only thing that makes me not like this deal is knowing you bastards got it for much less!!! , but I'll deal with it. I could get all this stuff for free, but I like being legit :D

Yeah I almost got it with the 40% off a while back, glad I held out a bit and was able to score it for $99, either way it's a great deal.

One thing I am checking, mine says Tech Net Plus Single Canadian DVD lol, is it because its not activated yet or whats up heheh

I'm still waiting for my login info. I ordered mine on June 3rd and immediately received a confirmation but after that nothing.

Back