Microsoft: We're not Google, and We're Proud Of It

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft took a shot at Google today saying that it is far more responsible than YouTube and doesn’t take advantage of loopholes in copyright law. Ouch. Google responded by saying "Google has valued its relationship with hundreds of content creators."

Thomas Rubin, Microsoft's associate general counsel for copyright, said that unlike YouTube, Microsoft's Soapbox video-sharing site is designed to work in concert with copyright holders and that it represents an effort to be a good corporate citizen. Soapbox uses Audible Magic fingerprinting technology.

I'm sorry, I'm too busy watching videos @ Youtube.com to read this article... something about a box of soap?

:rolleyes:

/Somehow this guy thinks that having less content is going to attract more people?

I'm sorry, I'm too busy watching videos @ Youtube.com to read this article... something about a box of soap?

lmao. :D

Personally, I've not heard of this service either. And calling it "soapbox" is just pretentious.

Microsoft isn't Google, and they're proud that no one likes them and they're not growing by leaps and bounds every month. :p

Did they think maybe that's why google is not only successul, but liked as well? It's kind of like saying they are glad they aren't *nix bc of the open source ....... perhaps they are missing the point or are just trying to sway tards that don't understand their 'copyright everything bc it looks professional' direction for business purposes.

Most of the youtube videos I watch are...

A) Music Videos so I can hear a song that I was talking about with friends/co-workers.
B) Watch funny skits... SNL / Daily Show, etc.

So it sounds like I have no reason to view anything off soapbox =P

"Anything you can do I can do better, I can do anything better than you.

No, you can't.

Yes I can!

No you can't!

YES I CAAAAANNNNNNN!!!!!"

"Anything you can do I can do better, I can do anything better than you.

No, you can't.

Yes I can!

No you can't!

YES I CAAAAANNNNNNN!!!!!"

The cool thing is that, in the end, we as consumers will likely come out way ahead. And, we get this bickering comedy show in the meantime. Brilliant!:p

Microsoft has a video sharing service? First I've heard of it

Microsoft has its own version of everything, you know. :p

Microsoft isn't Google, and they're proud that no one likes them and they're not growing by leaps and bounds every month.

Okay guys, remember that YouTube was bought by Google. Apparently everyone is going to love Google because they bought someone else's great service. Would we all love Microsoft if they bought YouTube instead?

Microsoft ruins the internet the same way pedophiles and phishers do.

That's a bit harsh, don't you think? Without microsoft we might not even have the Internet...

The cool thing is that, in the end, we as consumers will likely come out way ahead. And, we get this bickering comedy show in the meantime. Brilliant!:p

Well, to a degree...
If youtube becomes more responsible, I will lose all the shows and other illegal rips I like to watch :( :D

Microsoft has its own version of everything, you know. :p

Okay guys, remember that YouTube was bought by Google. Apparently everyone is going to love Google because they bought someone else's great service. Would we all love Microsoft if they bought YouTube instead?

That's a bit harsh, don't you think? Without microsoft we might not even have the Internet...

Yes, we would...look in my sig...

Microsoft did not cause the internet to be. They just provided a few means of implementation. Without them, the efforts of others would have brought the internet about. Though without MS, it might look different from the internet we know now.

Microsoft did not cause the internet to be. They just provided a few means of implementation. Without them, the efforts of others would have brought the internet about. Though without MS, it might look different from the internet we know now.

Yeah, I know. But the thing is, I like the way it is now and wouldn't want it to look different. :)

Yeah we would, it'd just be ugly, in courier new, no images, and an adorable fucking penguin.

That's a little harsh, too...

Yes, we would...look in my sig...

Yeah its called government funded basic research. The government does not develop commercial products...so the sig is quite off in regards to application and product development which companies do based on theirs and public domain basic research.

Microsoft ruins the internet the same way pedophiles and phishers do.

Seems to me only idiots fall for those scams tho :rolleyes:

The more I hear about google, the more I look back and wonder to my self "Maybe M$ isnt as bad as I thought"

google is the #1 rated place to work at. Were I work we are always trying to be more like google as a company..........Microsoft sucks ass in comparison.

Google > Microsoft,
Someone's just jealous they're video site
isn't the cool kid.

Microsoft isn't Google, and they're proud that no one likes them and they're not growing by leaps and bounds every month. :p

What?! You may think im crazy but im a microsoft software fan :) :/ what does ms has to do with this?

You people just do not know what to wish for!

just be ready when google will be like microsoft and you guys bitching about how crap it is.

What?! You may think im crazy but im a microsoft software fan :) :/ what does ms has to do with this?

What does MS have to do with this?! Read the title of the article! Microsoft was hating on Google's new Youtube purchase. I agree with a previous post, sounds like sour grapes to me.

I don't trust MIcrosoft.. but to be honest.. i trust google even less.. they are doing some shady stuff...

for example.. no one knows this.. but there has been legislation going through to not allow internet companies (like google) to not sell private information about people..

google has sucessfully lobbied to be exempt from that law.. WTF??

I hate it when people blinding love google.. it's bad new in the future.. people will realize once it's too late

but whatever.. back to the thread

I don't trust MIcrosoft.. but to be honest.. i trust google even less.. they are doing some shady stuff...

for example.. no one knows this.. but there has been legislation going through to not allow internet companies (like google) to not sell private information about people..

google has sucessfully lobbied to be exempt from that law.. WTF??

I hate it when people blinding love google.. it's bad new in the future.. people will realize once it's too late

but whatever.. back to the thread

I usually trust tech companies in general (some companies excepted, but not MS and Google), but I agree that Google is not a peacekeeper. They are still out to make money just like any other company. The fact that they offer their products for free makes them look better, but they are still out to make money. They simply make it through advertising instead of sales. They are not some generous organization that writes programs for the great good of humanity.

The internet wouldn't exist without M$? Funny *nix runs the web (70%? 80%? of the web is on a *nix box?), Java, Flash, HTML,TCP/IP..you know the actual technology that runs the web what has M$ contribution been:rolleyes:? Now..we might all be running Mac's without M$. But M$ has had very little to do with the web. Now an internet with no Youtube..That would suck. Where else am I going to find Beyonce videos streaming to my desktop?:cool:

Youtube is a jumbled up mess of shit and foriegn videos. Yes it is great for hosting videos but simply going to the site and surfing....nearly impossible nowadays. I love microsoft and google equally. I love off-shore streaming video sites better. ;)

Competition is good for consumers.

It is good that someone is trying to keep Google in check, so that they don't become corrupt. Antitrust laws should apply to digital information services as well.

The internet wouldn't exist without M$? Funny *nix runs the web (70%? 80%? of the web is on a *nix box?), Java, Flash, HTML,TCP/IP..you know the actual technology that runs the web what has M$ contribution been:rolleyes:? Now..we might all be running Mac's without M$. But M$ has had very little to do with the web. Now an internet with no Youtube..That would suck. Where else am I going to find Beyonce videos streaming to my desktop?:cool:

First off, please stop calling Microsoft "M$". You might as well say "Macinto$h", "$aitek", "Be$t Buy", and "A$U$" because all of those companies are out to make money just like Microsoft.

Second, Microsoft software did not run the Web, but it did a lot of other things. MS created Internet Explorer, the web browser that introduced most people to the Internet and is still the favorite browser if you look at statistics. They created a lot of the content that got the Internet started (think MSN). Their software, such as FrontPage, and Visual Studio, is often used by other companies or people to add content to the Web. By bundling Internet support with Windows, MS ensured that computer users everywhere would get a chance to use the Internet, even if they didn't know how to code HTML, use IRC, or Telnet an email server. Also, MS pushed for the Internet politically and commercially, promoting it to the popularity it has today. Yes, the Internet would still exist without MS, but it would probably still be closed off to the world of technology geeks who know the IRQ of a floppy drive, how to manually deteremine the IP address of a remote computer by its location on the network, and how to perform a Level 2 Attack using the ARP poisoning method.

Third, Google did not make Youtube!

Apparently everyone is going to love Google because they bought someone else's great service.
As history has shown us- search engines have risen and fallen... I think Google realizes this and has been buying out other companies like crazy in an effort to stay alive for when their search eventually fails... The scarey thing is that it might actually work.

Yeah we would, it'd just be ugly, in courier new, no images, and an adorable fucking penguin.
:D:D:D
Hit the nail on the head ;)

The more I hear about google, the more I look back and wonder to my self "Maybe M$ isnt as bad as I thought"
Exactly. The article put it wonderfully: Google is just shady. They have shady practices all over the place, and are definately actively seeking workarounds to the law.

google is the #1 rated place to work at. Were I work we are always trying to be more like google as a company..........Microsoft sucks ass in comparison.
I agree. I would work for Google- doesn't mean it's the best thing around.

The internet wouldn't exist without M$? Funny *nix runs the web (70%? 80%? of the web is on a *nix box?)
As the post quoted further down explains as well... Microsoft brought the web to the masses. Without Microsoft- computers would not be the way they are today. You can't deny it... it just would not be the same! As the comment quoted above said: It would be all text with no images.

First off, please stop calling Microsoft "M$". You might as well say "Macinto$h", "$aitek", "Be$t Buy", and "A$U$" because all of those companies are out to make money just like Microsoft.
Exactly. Microsoft is just very good at what they do- and the fact of the matter is a better alternative hasn't surfaced to replace Windows... Hence why Microsoft is still #1.
Sadly- *nix is the most viable #2. People who claim it's ready to take over the desktop world are blind to what the masses want: Something exactly like Windows. No command line. Ease of Use. I just have yet to find a distro that offers it yet. Ubuntu is probably the closest, and even that still requires command line!
And one that WOULD offer it would require so much work put into it, it would no longer be free- defeating the whole purpose of it.

Yes, the Internet would still exist without MS, but it would probably still be closed off to the world of technology geeks who know the IRQ of a floppy drive, how to manually deteremine the IP address of a remote computer by its location on the network, and how to perform a Level 2 Attack using the ARP poisoning method.
Exactly :cool:

Google > Microsoft,
Someone's just jealous they're video site
isn't the cool kid.

and Youtube wont be so cool once those mile long list of lawsuits for copyright issues goes through and YouTube becomes nothing more then 12 year old emo's posting about how depressing their life is and the fat lonely many does kareeeeeeeeeeeOkEEE and thinks people want to see it along side of some 10 year old materialistic brats talking about how great their new pink ipods are.

As the post quoted further down explains as well... Microsoft brought the web to the masses. Without Microsoft- computers would not be the way they are today. You can't deny it... it just would not be the same! As the comment quoted above said: It would be all text with no images

and what makes you think another company wouldnt of done it? wasnt netscape the predominant browser prior to IE? they had images and crap.... what about Apple ? werent they around the time of MS... they werent using IE as their browsers, but they had images and all that stuff....

so you cant deny, because we will never know, that the internet and computers could of been better then what it is today due to monopolistic companies running things, or, it could be worse....

And I can't outright deny that someone else may have come along...

But you need to think back- the way the web was heading was nowhere near as developed as how Microsoft pushed it.

It was pretty basic and for lack of a better word: sad.

Sure- someone else could have come along. I just don't think the companies established at that time would have done it though.

makes you wish you could go back in time, or see what IBM / Appple and other companies had set up as their vision of the internet before MS dominated :)

makes you wish you could go back in time, or see what IBM / Appple and other companies had set up as their vision of the internet before MS dominated :)

It would definately be interesting, but the same can always be said of almost everything: "How would the world be different if I didn't sneeze on that poor lady?"

:cool:

Back