Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 Final

Well I tried using the recovery tool on the Windows disk.
I copied the GDI32.dll from the \I386 folder on the cd to the system32 folder on my drive and that did not work.
So I used the repair windows function on the install cd and it went through and did it's thing so it seems to be working now. Though, I think I got rolled back to SP2

Well WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe hosed my Acer Aspire 5670 laptop installation.
Lucky I've made restore point before installing it.
After install I've got BSOD stop error regarding GDI. It wouldn't boot in any mode.
Booted with ERD and restored to my restore point and got it working again.
Seams to work O.K. though remote desktop connection wouldn't work ???
So I've copied needed exe,dll and dll.mui from other machine and it works now.
Still I do not feel good about it specially because I've just reinstalled my laptop two weeks ago.
SP2 changed so many things to better and made XP to a one of a best OS ever. SP3 isn't that kind of a SP. To me it's more like first version of SP1 for Vista. One that would hose 50% of machines that was installed on.
Well XP ain't so fancy and nice like Vista but it works faster and better then Vista. Also for working conditions it's crucial that all third parity software works with your OS. Well there is a software people have to work with and still it doesn't work with Vista. So good OS made even better with SP3 is big news for me. Pity this ain't it.
It has to work on every machine and it has to make things better. Till it does it is not coming to machines of my clients.

I'm glad I waited to see what kind of uproar this caused.
I don't have time to troubleshoot those kinds of problems on my test machine. And if I don't have time to troubleshoot those kinds of problems on one machine, I don't have time to do them on 100+ machines in my agency.
I'll wait for SP3 to get 'patched'.

Well I tried using the recovery tool on the Windows disk.
I copied the GDI32.dll from the \I386 folder on the cd to the system32 folder on my drive and that did not work.
So I used the repair windows function on the install cd and it went through and did it's thing so it seems to be working now. Though, I think I got rolled back to SP2

You have to extract the file from the SP3 you installed and then do an expand of the gdi32.dl_ into the system32 folder and the dllcache folder.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3151626&SiteID=17

Is SP3 really just a bunch of the smaller updates in one package?

No it's not!

Read up, more added features and 10% preformance boost:
http://www.computerworld.com/action...windows&articleId=9048658&intsrc=it_blogwatch

Devil Mountain ran its OfficeBench suite of performance benchmarks on a laptop equipped with Office 2007, Microsoft's latest application suite. The notebook -- the same unit used in the Vista/Vista SP1 tests earlier -- featured a 2.0-GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 1GB of memory. The results reported that XP SP3 delivered a 10% speed increase over SP2, the service pack released in 2004.

&

http://arstechnica.com/journals/mic...xp-sp3-emerge-some-vista-features-back-ported

Now it seems that such assumptions were somewhat off the mark. Neosmart reports that Microsoft has made beta builds of XP SP3 available to certain beta test groups, including tier-one Windows Server 2008 and Vista SP1 testers. Although XP SP3 does contain a number of bug fixes and patches released since SP2—1,073, to be exact—it also incorporates several Vista features that are being back-ported into the XP operating system. Specifically, these features include:
  • Network Access Protection (NAP): This is a policy enforcement platform meant for enterprise use that inspects systems attempting to access a corporate network to ensure they meet whatever security criteria the corporation has in place. If systems fail to meet the necessary criteria, they can be updated or blocked from using the network, depending on the nature of the flaw.
  • New Product Activation module: Just as in Vista, users will be able to install XP without entering a product key at installation.
  • "Black Hole" Router Detection: A black hole router is a router that drops packets without returning the specified Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) response. This feature aids in detecting and protecting the end user from such a problem. Previously, according to Microsoft documents, reliable detection of a black hole router involved use of an appropriately configured "ping" command, followed by further manual commands for working around the problem.
  • Microsoft Kernel Cryptographic Module: This feature incorporates cryptographic algorithms in a single module other kernel mode drivers are capable of hooking into and accessing.

Installed onto three PC's (Mjr Geeks file) and only had an issue with one. Since it had previously been SP 0 and Malware infected, I don't think it is a fault of SP3.

I used the Vista Inspirate Bricopack theme for Windblinds and it was broken by the install. But all I did was reinstall it and it then worked fine.

Now, I am waiting for SP3 for x64, but I'm not holding my breath.

Back