Military Using Video Games to Train Soldiers?

Da Frechman

Limp Gawd
Just need to keep up with things and the obvious corrections. Here's the link

The article itself is poorly written and implies that Halo 2-like games are used to train serving members of the Armed Forces. I'd like someone to ask Jose Antonio Vargas if he received any money for writing such a misleading article. This shit is getting annoying and I think Hos' needs owes an apology to his readers.

In reality, training exists in front of a large screen (10 foot or greater), prone and squatting positions. There's usually 5-10 of us and we used either modified weapons or simulated weapons. It's your standard pop-up target with a mix of civilians and angry men and women shooting at you or running in your direction ready to blow themselves up. Nothing to do with Halo or any other game on the market...

The best training is with Miles gear, infrared hooked up to real weapons firing blanks.

with drone tech making leaps and bounds...it is only a matter of time before the top MS flight sim opps are asked to fly them.

I would jump at the chance to bomb something.

Tiny said:
with drone tech making leaps and bounds...it is only a matter of time before the top MS flight sim opps are asked to fly them.

I would jump at the chance to bomb something.

Without line of site, signals get jammed to easily. A handheld directed at the crafts general direction would be enough.

Does make for an interesting study in how to circumvent judicial rulings and how certain less then reputable groups operate. To bad the meaning of NO is lost to them.

BOOOOM HEADSHOT! Thats what they say to a gihader.

I guess the army uses AA er something.

Da Frechman said:
Without line of site, signals get jammed to easily. A handheld directed at the crafts general direction would be enough.

True, but couldn't that be voided with operation from a high-altitude OPS Center?

Tiny said:
True, but couldn't that be voided with operation from a high-altitude OPS Center?

Perhaps and more... I take the old WWII adage of "loose lips" because you never really know.

Games are fun, are not used to train killers, encourage parents to be included in their childrens lives like never before, seem to do more to stifle violent acts then contribute to them, etc... I really hate the dishonesty of some people, especially when in a position of public trust.

(Edit: This whole war against gaming seems to stem from a threat Rockstar received by a very small group of women. They demanded the developers remove the players ability to punch women (only) from the game)

Da Frechman said:
(Edit: This whole war against gaming seems to stem from a threat Rockstar received by a very small group of women. They demanded the developers remove the players ability to punch women (only) from the game)

Yup, they are called whores. Or as the PC crowd likes to say, Adult Entertainment workers.

Da Frechman said:
In reality, training exists in front of a large screen (10 foot or greater), prone and squatting positions. There's usually 5-10 of us and we used either modified weapons or simulated weapons. It's your standard pop-up target with a mix of civilians and angry men and women shooting at you or running in your direction ready to blow themselves up. Nothing to do with Halo or any other game on the market...

I saw something like that featured on cable several years ago as a proposal (Was aimed at cops tho). You're saying it's actually practical? :eek: I thought it was abandoned in favor of miles :confused:

Any ideas on what you think it would take to make a game realistic enough for practical training? Would an FPS coupled with a 3D helmet and 3D joystick be a good idea?

Da Frechman said:
Just need to keep up with things and the obvious corrections. Here's the link

The article itself is poorly written and implies that Halo 2-like games are used to train serving members of the Armed Forces. I'd like someone to ask Jose Antonio Vargas if he received any money for writing such a misleading article. This shit is getting annoying and I think Hos' needs owes an apology to his readers.

The best training is with Miles gear, infrared hooked up to real weapons firing blanks.

UGH, We have MILES gear at my base and we use it sometimes when we cannot make it to the real shooting range. I hate it, It just doesn't do the true justice as it would be shooting the real thing.....even though the m16 jams alot more than it should
:eek: I would much rather use the real ammo than this silly automaton that doesn't accurately register the shots......sigh....I just had to get out my anger for that system. I dont know about you but the technicians down here are always having problems with that thing.

Stiler said:
Uhh, they do....

http://www.virtualbattlefieldsystems.com/

Various branches use it, it's fairly expensive aswell and has a bitch of a copy protection with it (dongle, etc).

You can see what branches use it here:
http://www.virtualbattlefieldsystems.com/customers.html

Also here's a page that shows a pic of some people using it in military gear:(not sure if it's army/national guard or what)
http://www.virtualbattlefieldsystems.com/specifications.html
That looks frighteningly similar to Operation Flashpoint..

VBS is what they use.. I tried getting my hands on it for a while but no luck.

HALO 2 though? No way in fucking hell, you're a retard if you believe that.

Back